Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Student upset at how OSU handled sexual-assault case involving wrestler
Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Doubt he'll return to OSU?

It should be a long, long, long time before his parents pay for him to attend anywhere. The kid is still on their payroll, shouldn't take too long to figure out what the correct responses by his parents should be.

And perhaps just as long befoe the judicial system allows him to roam anywhere.

No Mark, still no breaking news. Well, not unless you consider the PD's article yesterday on Gee's exhorbitant travel costs to be "breaking" news."

Guilty until proven innocent? Last I check no formal charges have even been filed yet.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Student upset at how OSU handled sexual-assault case involving wrestler
Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

It should be a long, long, long time before his parents pay for him to attend anywhere. The kid is still on their payroll, shouldn't take too long to figure out what the correct responses by his parents should be.

No Mark, still no breaking news. Well, not unless you consider the PD's article yesterday on Gee's exhorbitant travel costs to be "breaking" news."

You're probably right, and at this point it looks like he's guilty, but this is a he-said-she-said situation, and we've only heard she so far. The problem for Devin might be that he can't remember anything.

Just think about what you've heard so far though. Visconti is very drunk. The girl's obviously drunk too (got back late from a "sorority event", goes to sleep still wearing her dress). They were probably acquaintances, or had just met each other earlier in the night. So Devin wanders to her floor, and somehow ends up in her room.

That's where we really need details. Was she passed out in her bunk, and he just walked in there? Did she wake up to find him in bed with her? Or were they both drunk, both ended up in her bed, and somewhere along the way she realizes she doesn't want to do this.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation, or claim the kid is innocent, I'm just trying to imagine some possibilities.

After the incident, the girl told Devin's friend that it was okay, and the friend told her Devin would come back in the morning to apologize.

Then the RA hear's about the incident, writes a citation, and takes it up the chain of command. At this point, the girl's parents are sure to hear about it. Whether or not the girl wants to take it seriously, it's obvious her parents would. From there, things have a tendency to snowball, and take on a life of their own.

To me at least, the key is how did he get in her room and was she sleeping when he got there.

The reason the school's decision doesn't really give a great indication of guilt is because THEY DO have a zero tolerance policy. If someone accuses you of anything of this nature, you're probably going to be suspended unless you have some sort of proof that shows otherwise, other than your own word.

Once again though, I wonder if Visconti can even remember what happened.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

You're probably right, and at this point it looks like he's guilty, but this is a he-said-she-said situation, and we've only heard she so far. The problem for Devin might be that he can't remember anything.

Just think about what you've heard so far though. Visconti is very drunk. The girl's obviously drunk too (got back late from a "sorority event", goes to sleep still wearing her dress). They were probably acquaintances, or had just met each other earlier in the night. So Devin wanders to her floor, and somehow ends up in her room.

That's where we really need details. Was she passed out in her bunk, and he just walked in there? Did she wake up to find him in bed with her? Or were they both drunk, both ended up in her bed, and somewhere along the way she realizes she doesn't want to do this.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation, or claim the kid is innocent, I'm just trying to imagine some possibilities.

After the incident, the girl told Devin's friend that it was okay, and the friend told her Devin would come back in the morning to apologize.

Then the RA hear's about the incident, writes a citation, and takes it up the chain of command. At this point, the girl's parents are sure to hear about it. Whether or not the girl wants to take it seriously, it's obvious her parents would. From there, things have a tendency to snowball, and take on a life of their own.

To me at least, the key is how did he get in her room and was she sleeping when he got there.

The reason the school's decision doesn't really give a great indication of guilt is because THEY DO have a zero tolerance policy. If someone accuses you of anything of this nature, you're probably going to be suspended unless you have some sort of proof that shows otherwise, other than your own word.

Once again though, I wonder if Visconti can even remember what happened."

I can see your point of the legal uncertainty. But as a parent, even if there was no fire there seems to have been waaaaaaaaay too much smoke for my liking. At best he can go to a local JUCO until he earns another chance at a univeristy.

Hopefully this kid has parents who do the right thing.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Actually...I am SHOCKED the Dispatch even did a article...it was about a wrestler and they hardly EVER notice or wrote about wrestling ;)

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

"
I can see your point of the legal uncertainty. But as a parent, even if there was no fire there seems to have been waaaaaaaaay too much smoke for my liking. At best he can go to a local JUCO until he earns another chance at a univeristy.

Hopefully this kid has parents who do the right thing."

There must be a cold front in Hell today. Gary actually said something nearly sensible.

"

Agreed. And by the way, I didn't say this, but I was not at all arguing for him to return to the wrestling team. I think we can probably all agree that whatever the outcome of the case, this doesn't seem like the kind of guy you want on your roster.

I think the bucks have had more than enough clowns on their team in the past few years to be able to spot another one.

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"

There must be a cold front in Hell today. Gary actually said something nearly sensible."

Thanks, I think.

Now it is your turn.

"

"

Agreed. And by the way, I didn't say this, but I was not at all arguing for him to return to the wrestling team. I think we can probably all agree that whatever the outcome of the case, this doesn't seem like the kind of guy you want on your roster.

I think the bucks have had more than enough clowns on their team in the past few years to be able to spot another one."

A flaw in their recruiting process?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

"I think the bucks have had more than enough clowns on their team in the past few years to be able to spot another one."

Not true. Kid could have spotless high school record, never drinks then gets on his own, partakes of adult beverages for the first time and .... (insert poor behavior of any degree). Some kids have been so micro-managed by coaches/parents that no blemishes have had a chance to appear.

...or kids just do incredibly stupid things for a variety of reasons.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

"There must be a cold front in Hell today. Gary actually said something nearly sensible."

True..but he still went back on his word. I didn't think men of his age bracket did such things. Hopefully he has those around him to show him the error of his ways so he can admit his mistakes and seek restitution.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

"I am out.

Guys, keep thinking Smith had nothing to do with this, and I will be back when he is gone."

Did I miss breaking news from Ohio State?

ps: Go Reds!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"There must be a cold front in Hell today. Gary actually said something nearly sensible."

True..but he still went back on his word. I didn't think men of his age bracket did such things. Hopefully he has those around him to show him the error of his ways so he can admit his mistakes and seek restitution."

I blame his parents...they didn't beat him enough!

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"I think the bucks have had more than enough clowns on their team in the past few years to be able to spot another one."

Not true. Kid could have spotless high school record, never drinks then gets on his own, partakes of adult beverages for the first time and .... (insert poor behavior of any degree). Some kids have been so micro-managed by coaches/parents that no blemishes have had a chance to appear.

...or kids just do incredibly stupid things for a variety of reasons."

I understand your point. I don't mean that they should have seen this coming ---- I only meant that now that it's happened, they need to react accordingly.

Maybe he deserves a second chance, but let him get it somewhere else.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

"I can see your point of the legal uncertainty. But as a parent, even if there was no fire there seems to have been waaaaaaaaay too much smoke for my liking. At best he can go to a local JUCO until he earns another chance at a univeristy.

No offense Patrick but this point by hypocrite is lost on me. If there is no "fire" I assume he/she means no assault (perhaps a point corroborated by her actions after).

That means we have a drunk college kid who stumbled around acting like an idiot. Go figure.

Now, we cast moral judgments on his parents who apparently, without knowing more, shouldn't pay for their child's college or at most should send him to a JUCO (or Meeeechigan).

If he committed the crime I am fine with drawing and quartering him. If he didn't, I'm fine with him losing his rights at the school or on the team as a result of his drunken behavior.

I'm not sure his family needs to stoop to Gary's false sense of a moral code to raise their child. Where he goes to school or if they pay for it is their business. This isn't one of the Kennedy clan (as far as we know).

Regardless, I would rather try to fix a college kid's drunken bahavior than an old man's lack of integrity.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Yeah, girl passes out after sorority event still in her dress? Although I am only about 1 week removed from college, I can still comprehend this chick was probably wasted too.

Her and Visconti were most likely "shack buddies" as well call it these days, and he was a little drunk and wanted to see his sorority pal. She probably left the door unlocked for him and if she did pass out, she did so while waiting for him to come to the room.

She probably just freaked out when she was awoken to a guy climbing in her bed since she couldnt even see his face, and was too tipsy to remember she had a "friend" coming to the room.

Who knows I could be way off, but being in school long enough this is just what I get from this story.
There have been multiple "rape" allegations I have heard in college, most of them get dropped or blown out of proportion.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next