Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: The Ohio State University v. University of Michigan
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 8, 2013

Any thoughts on Courts going again at 197?

One thought:

Camp to 285 next year. Weight cut is killing him. Courts will go 197. Heflin to 184.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 8, 2013

I'd like to know from Fred or any other person who knows what the refs are looking for what constitutes a defensive pin? I ask because in Demas's match he was laying flat on his back while he had the spladle in. When does the ref call a defensive pin (i.e. What criteria is he looking for)?

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"I'd like to know from Fred or any other person who knows what the refs are looking for what constitutes a defensive pin? I ask because in Demas's match he was laying flat on his back while he had the spladle in. When does the ref call a defensive pin (i.e. What criteria is he looking for)?"

Demas certainly looked flat a couple times. Glad the ref didn't get "slap" happy.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 8, 2013

i'm confused, Courts wrestles better up at 197 than at 184-- Hank says hes a 174 with a big butt. Make sense of this?

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"i'm confused, Courts wrestles better up at 197 than at 184-- Hank says hes a 174 with a big butt. Make sense of this?"

I wouldn't say Courts wrestles better at 197. I'd say Courts has wrestled well his last two matches. He's doing a better job of competing--regardless of weight class. Also, neither Gonzales nor Huntley are big 197's.

Bigger question is whether Camp is hurt/sick or Coach Ryan has decided to make a change.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

I love it when guys try something different. Demas and the spladle, and Logan stepping over Bruno into a pinning combination. Great stuff. I thought that 2nd ref was watching Demas' back during the spladle. He was real close to being pinned defensively.
BTW did anyone think Hunter had his guy pinned at any point?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

Quick Thoughts on the Match:

125: Triggas wrestled hard against an evenly matched opponent but I don't understand why he didn't kick him out by the middle of the third period. Bad strategy by either Nikko or the coaches as he needed a TD and it wasn't happening from top.

133: Bruno wrestled well at the start of this match but it didn't matter as Logan is so superior he was able to do whatever he wanted--including that bundle/stepover.

141: Hunter put on his hard hat and went to work.

149: Paddock gave a quality effort but got stuck on bottom and that was that. He hasn't wrestled enough quality opponents this year to be as prepared as possible for that type of bout.

157: Loved the spladle. More importantly, Demas wanted to hit big moves and was looking for one. That's good to see.

165: Massa has been chewing up opponents of late and surging back near the top ten. But Martin wasn't having any of it. I love Showtime's toughness. Wish he would redshirt next year because he's a potential 3xAA with the right training.

174: Heflin gets another quality win in a well managed match. Yates never came close to a TD. Would have like to see Hef finish that nice single he was hitting in the third.

184: Magrum put together a solid match. My only complaint was that he had enough time for another kickout and TD rather than trying to rideout for the major.

197: Courts followed the Heflin script. I loved his quick little sit/hip heist on bottom for the fast escape. Those PA kids really understand how to wrestle on the mat.

285: Karageorge has the frame to be a good 285 and held his own for much of the match. Why isn't he having more success overall?

Erik Nell added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

disclaimer: I know all these young men are good athletes, and I respect all of them.

Martin does not move his feet enough, and stands upright and paws like a dancing bear wrestling Lance Palmer in High School.

I have come to the conclusion that Heflin is a defensive wrestler his only takedown in the match was a counter, but the guy came right back up it was a fast two point call, he did pumble to create space with only one good shot, the other attempts were half a$$ shots not to get called for stalling, there is no rythm in his stand up attack.

Magrum stayes in a nice low stance, he had rythm in his shot re-shot, he also posted the arm well and kept it from being two bulls in a China shop.. ala Heflin.

Courts moved his feet and he wrestled with rythm on his feet, his stance was nice, and he looked like he was having fun out there.

I am no Rex Holman, but breaking down tOSU upper weights, I would say they need to circle move their feet, have fun by wrestling with a rythm and take some chances.

On the other hand as Coach Hump says don't chase a bad position which I think most of the guys did when their head was locked up. (They did not chase)

Off the soap box good day

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

On a Heflin note..... He has driven me insane the last couple of years. We as fans want to "will" him to be more agressive. However, Ive adopted this approach to him. He was not a huge 5 star recruit. He is more of a product of hard work and determination. If he feels the best way to be successful is to constantly win a 3-2 match who am I to argue or disapprove? Do I love the style....heck no!!! But we as fans need to respect the hard work. Just my 2 cents ...and an effort to keep Mrs. Stone off of your butts! =)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

Heflin is a big 174 and he's making a large cut. I think he has developed a style that allows him to win given his current energy level. Personally, I'd like to see him at 184 as a senior. I think we'd see a more offensive minded wrestler.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

By rule... def pin or a offensive pin is one sec. I just watched that match...the lead wasnt looking at Demas... luckily.
Here is whats interesting...I had the same call a few years ago with Metcalf and Caldwell...I called the pin...got my butt handed to me across the country until a photo was shown that showed Metcalf pinned. In this one...if you stop the video as soon as Demas releases...its an interesting position. Lower part of the scapula on the mat? Hmmmm.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

So, based on what we have seen the past few weeks....does tOSU qualify 10 weights for the NCAAs? How many do they send?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

Heflin was a 1x champ, 1x runner up, and was a state alternate his sophomore year, IIRC. He was, however, nationally ranked as a senior, I think. He was 4th at the Ironman, losing to Chris Phillips 5-1 in the third place bout (pretty respectable). That was the tournament when Ruth beat Phillips, and went on to control Ethen Lofthouse in the finals match. Heflin wasn't a 5-star recruit, but he wasn't a exactly Rudy, either. There were a lot of us who were excited about his potential and penciled him in as a long term starter at 174.

BTW, go watch Jesse Dong launch him in their state final bout, sick throw.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/199-2008-Ohio-State-Wrestling-Championships/video/10127-F-152-D1-Jesse-Dong-Westerville-North-vNick-Heflin-Massillon-Perry

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"So, based on what we have seen the past few weeks....does tOSU qualify 10 weights for the NCAAs? How many do they send?"

I don't see how Martin qualifies, unless he places high enough at the big ten tournament.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 9, 2013

Martin is looking better. He looked pretty good last night. He would certainly be the most likely not to make it. Any other weights you guys think are "on the bubble"?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next