Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: The most memorable matches you've seen at a District Tournament
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

When I was in high school I wished they would redo the school distribution to each district (thus more evenly distributing the talent) and allowing 4 to advance from every district.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The most memorable matches you've seen at a District Tournament
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Quote from Matthew Nutter's post:

"What year was your senior year? I couldnt agree more. Plenty of kids that went 2-2 at Firestone that could have done damage in Columbus."

I graduated in 1990...And three of my four matches at Firestone that year were 4-point wins. I had two techs and a major heading into the finals the next week (against the Firestone #3). There was no Graham (there was, but not in its current form), the rest of the state just wasn't close back then.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"mentor, mentor, mentor in late 70s, 1980s and early to mid 90s--- has there ever been a worse draw than this one ?...Hank knows the mentor stories, he used to coach there in its halcyon days. Tell a few Hank."

There's no denying that at its height, the Mentor District was the best tournament in the state of Ohio. I was just giving a shout out to Akron Firestone, which we always considered "The Mentor of Division II". I wonder if you look back to when I was in school if Firestone had similar numbers at the State tourney as Mentor did.

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on February 21, 2013; edited 1 time in total

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

I will tell you that, from an officials perspective, both Mentor and Firestone were hard. To us, very little difference.
The 5th place match at Firestone made us work harder than the match for 1st place because it actually meant something.
There were at least two years (1990 for sure) that only 3 left Mentor. The made the consolation-final match the one you didn't really want.
My hat is off to any wrestler who went through either location. You earned it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

I know Mentor only took three my senior year (1990) which was a crime. That year a sophomore named Roger Chandler took 4th and failed to qualify. He turned out ok though.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

i know it MikeR, i respected Firestone alot back then.

i recall the always colorful BILL BARGER, when Walsh Jesuit was Division I, and a national superpower in the 90s, and they were moved from the Massillon Perry district to Mentor--- Barger was quoted in the PD as telling reporter Pat Galbincea, "I WONDER WHATS GOING ON AT THE MASSILLON PERRY REST HOME?"

vintage Barger, i laughed so hard!

but those Not laughing were other Mentor district coaches. For a few years before WJ dropped to Divison II, those other coaches had St Eds and Walsh Jesuit in their district which ESSENTIALLY left only 2 (or was it 1?) qualifers in most wts for all the other teams to fight over.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Bob: The best way to recall great matches is while in discussion with others that were there. I need a program to examine or something to jog the memory.

Otherwise, most of the matches I best recall involved my wrestlers.

But here's one.

St Joes had some great teams during the late 1980's/early 1990s and one of the stars was Scott Petche. Petche became noteworthy as a frosh when he nearly upset St Eds soph. Alan Fried in a dual. Fast forward to Petche's senior year and he's in the Mentor Finals. His opponent was a very talented sophomore from then rapidly rising program from Akron--Walsh Jesuit. Walsh had a stud sophomore named Mark Mollica who had beaten some tough, seasoned vets to make the district finals. All eyes were glued to the mat to watch Petche take on Mollica in the Mentor finals.

Well, it wasn't much of a match. The whistle blew, Petche hit a double, lifted Mollica in the air, dumped him on his back and pinned him.

So much for the suspense.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Hank,

Great point, Scott never had trouble with him, and He was a junior when mollica a sophomore, he was only a year behind us, but a lot farther on the mat. Scott could be the best wrestler in Ohio History never to be a state champ, later AA at Indiana, really tough guy, the real deal, on the eve of the Mentor district, it was a great place to compete, my favorite tournament, the crowds were insane and they loved the sport. They made me feel at home, and if you competed and went after it, they were like romans if you won the crowd you probably won the match, It may never get back to those days but we still love to have the tournament and we have some great kids competing tomorrow, my blood is already going and its time start the journey to Columbus. Good luck to all it is a beautiful time for the sport, and the districts are the best.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"Did you know the Hageman family from Medina Buckeye?"

Mike, I think that I wrestled a Jack Hageman from Median Buckeye, though it wasn't at the District tournament.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

The 1995 Div II district @ Stubenville was entertaining @ the 119lb weight. That year we only advanced 3 to state per weight and 119 had defending champ from Coshocton (Brian Baughman), 6th placer from St. Clairsville (can't remember his name), and 2x state qualifier from Claymont (Eric Siebert). Kind of a raw deal for everyone else in that weight as all the tickets were taken before the tournament even started. There were great semifinal and finals matches at that weight.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"Hank,

Great point, Scott never had trouble with him, and He was a junior when mollica a sophomore, he was only a year behind us, but a lot farther on the mat. Scott could be the best wrestler in Ohio History never to be a state champ, later AA at Indiana, really tough guy, the real deal, on the eve of the Mentor district, it was a great place to compete, my favorite tournament, the crowds were insane and they loved the sport. They made me feel at home, and if you competed and went after it, they were like romans if you won the crowd you probably won the match, It may never get back to those days but we still love to have the tournament and we have some great kids competing tomorrow, my blood is already going and its time start the journey to Columbus. Good luck to all it is a beautiful time for the sport, and the districts are the best."

Bill: You're right about Mentor. The anticipation for that tournament was incredible. The gym was packed, the weight classes stacked, and everyone waited to see how things would play out. I don't know if I ever felt more alive than Friday night at Mentor. State was a totally different feel and even though the crowds were larger, the intensity was more diffused. I envy you for getting to coach there tomorrow. Good luck.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 22, 2013

I think the kid from St. Clairsville was Ewing, but not 100% sure.

Seibert was my neighbor. One of the best 3x qualifiers who never placed. Honestly, not sure how many of those there could be.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on February 22, 2013

My history of viewing districts isn't nearly extensive as everyone else's (and much more recent).

The Perrysburg D1 district in 2004 remains, in general, the most memorable for me. It was amazing.

The district started with insufficient equipment for fans on both sides of the arena to see the score and clock for the center mat. The outside mats had the basketball boards to use. I wondered what they were going to do for the final session as it seemed unacceptable for half the fans not to see the running score and time for the first-place finals (usually held on the center mat). As the conso-semis were wrapping up, an annoucement was made. The conso finals were going to be held at the proper time, on two mats, and then one mat would be set in the center and the finals first place matches would be held after the conso finals. Problem solved!

I tell you what, there is something to be said for having the first place matches held by themselves!

Of the great finals, the most memorable was the 112 final that had Lance Palmer losing to James Shuller on a stall call in overtime. Shuller was a very good wrestler with good nuetral defense. Palmer had escaped in the second period and was riding Shuller in the third but hadn't been able to turn him. With about less than a minute left, stall calls began to rain down from the raucous Toledo crowd, who had just suffered the disappointment of seeing their great hope, Kyle Holliday, lose 103 to an upstart Eds freshman, Shawn Harris. The ref couldn't resist the crowd and, when the first stalling-on-top call came, I'm thinking there is too much time left, and Lance should just cut him. He didn't. He still tried to do his bar and half, and with the stalling calls even loader, the tying point was awarded to Shuller.

A no-win situation then arose, as Palmer took a second injury time-out before the first OT started. That gave Shuller choice, and he took down and, on the whistle, proceeded to flatten out and wait. Within ten seconds, and with the Perrysburg arena probably as loud as it's ever been, the inevitable happened. Palmer didn't want to shake hands at the close. To his credit, the referee gave him time to change his mind. Heff was going crazy in the corner. Finally Lance offered his hand (and preserved his eligibilty for the state meet).

The state finals offered four repeats of Perrysburg finals (with three of the results reversed, including Lance pinning Shuller), two more all-Perrysburg finals, and 14 total finalists from that district.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3