Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: World Team Trials
Christian Pyles added to this discussion on June 22, 2013

Ohio RTC really struggling. Scrap the ol playbook :)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 22, 2013

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"Ohio RTC really struggling. Scrap the ol playbook :)"

Wisdom shouts! 4 of 7!?!?!?! I'm not supporting until I see 5, 6 or even 7! Heck, perhaps I'll hold out until I see 8 of the 7!!! #Math

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 22, 2013

The interim rules gave us great action (Open Sat V Logan Stieber}. The easier TF leaves no room for a great comeback. Why FILA once again - up is beyond me. Very hard to support these guys with their almost unerring sense of stupidity. Unless the IOC itself insisted on these changes, why do it?

We're not going to attract more fans by changing our rules. The smart move is to use a set than excites your fan base. Get the people who like your sport to become crazy about it. That'll grow your sport much better than our current path of "make it like MTV" or other backward looking stupidity. Use rules that people feel are fair while creating action. That's it.

Wrestling is a great sport--period. Let's give it rules that promote the best possible competition.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 23, 2013

Anyone know why Tyler Graff didn't wrestle this weekend?

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on June 23, 2013

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"Ohio RTC really struggling. Scrap the ol playbook :)"

Be careful C.P., sarcasm is a little tough to understand for some of us 'simple-minded folk'.

With Reece Humphrey, Keith Gavin, J.D. Bergman, and Tervel Dlagnev all winning a spot on the team, it is indeed a pretty remarkable showing for the Ohio RTC.

Is Escobedo still training at the ORTC, I haven't seen his name around here much this past year, but I was impressed with his performance in the Challenge Round. And Logan will always be close, this just wasn't his year.

It just goes to show what a great job the athletes, coaches, and administrators at the RTC in Columbus are doing.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on June 23, 2013

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Anyone know why Tyler Graff didn't wrestle this weekend?"

I think I heard injury.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on June 23, 2013

Tomasello wins the 55KG challenge tournament but goes down to Gillman in 2 matches in the championship.

Snyder techs Miklus in the first round of the challenge tournament, with round 2 coming up in 15 minutes or so.

Techs him in Round 2 as well to make the Junior World Team!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 23, 2013

And Miklus pinned Iowa starter Burak. Snyder has to be a beast. He should enjoy mixing it up with J.D. & Gavin when he gets to Columbus next year. Wow. Make that a double WOW!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 23, 2013

Pat A.: Everything I have seen and heard, Angel is at the Ohio-RTC. He is one of our athletes.

Two additional points...

#1) How awesome is it to see these scores??? I don't think there was a final score below a 5-point total. I'm sure they happened, I just recall seeing a whole lot more scoring as I checked results!

Hank had a great point - Keep it simple! Wrestling is simple. But make sure the wrestlers are awarded properly.

#2) It is my firm conviction that the need to continue to support the Ohio-RTC in any way possible is a must. Angel was close. Beating Olympic team member Hazewinkle is a huge step in the right direction. Colt Sponseller is like a cousin as far as support goes. Maybe; maybe not. But he works up at Edinboro but trains when he can back at Steelwood from time to time.

Tervel, J.D., Gavin, Reece, along with Logan, Angel and perhaps a few others. EXCELLENT stuff and their dominance makes it easy to support them. Get on the bandwagon!!!

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on June 24, 2013

Fantastic weekend, love the freestyle rules, and even got some enjoyment out of greco (congrats to Harry Lester).

I believe after a red-shirt Tomasello is going to be very competitive at 125. His only loss being to Gilman is impressive when considering Tomasello is likely not a full sized 125 yet and Gilman has already spent a year in the Hawkeye room.

Two things I would have liked to see this weekend that I didn't:
1. Hunter Stieber at World Team Trials. I wouldn't have expected much but think the stiff competition would have been good for him. I mean most of the competition at the college level is not much of a challenge for him. And while I don't think he beats Russell, Oliver, or Metcalf I'd still love to see it.

2. Bo Jordan at Junior Nationals. This might sound strange but I really wanted to see Bo here because I'd like to see him lose. To my knowledge he hasn't lost a match of any kind since the OT loss to Skonienzny his freshman year. I realize he would still be a bit undersized at 74 KG. But, I saw Isiah Martinez took two loses in this bracket and with many predicting national titles soon for Bo I'd have liked to see where he stood against these guys (his likely competition for the next 4 years). And, taking a loss might give him a new measuring stick for where he needs to be after a red-shirt.

Don't mistake my comments of being critical of these two for not showing up, I understand. Just two things that as a fan would have been fun.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on June 24, 2013

I'm getting s far removed from this process, so forgive my ignorance...can anyone just enter this tournament? Or do you have to qualify? Was Hunter able/eligible to wrestle in this tournament? I guess I'm thinking of the old days when there were Olympic regionals that had to be won to be able to wrestle in the mini tournament to determine our Olympians. Is it similar for world team qualifying? And...it could be that I'm just nucking futs ;-)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 25, 2013

I believe University Nationals (where Hunter competed) is a qualifier for the Senior World Team Trials. I'm not sure how many they take from each weight class though; James Green qualified for seniors based on winning 66 kg, but I don't know if Hunter's runner up finish would have been good enough.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 25, 2013

Saw the Stieber-Kennedy match on Flo. Great match. Looked like Logan was trying some new stuff, but Kennedy countered out. He tried that throw-by/inside trip TD that looked like the one Logan got taken down with at the finals of the Junior Worlds a couple of years ago. Kennedy countered but look for that come next season. Non stop action the entire match.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on June 26, 2013

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I believe University Nationals (where Hunter competed) is a qualifier for the Senior World Team Trials. I'm not sure how many they take from each weight class though; James Green qualified for seniors based on winning 66 kg, but I don't know if Hunter's runner up finish would have been good enough."

Plus Hunter wasnt the Runner up. Chamberlain was.

Matt Hall added to this discussion on June 26, 2013

Here's the video Taylor's tech of Howe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUklmoxcfPk

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next