Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU v. Purdue tonight 7:00 live on BTN
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

This is like watching the Cavs. There's talent but it is not performing.

There ia something really wrong with this team.

How do you go from 3rd in Vegas to a dual loss at Purdue?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

Roberts should have won but he just made a dumb mistake and got high and gave up the reversal

Johnni wrestled a tuff kid and former AA

the Purdue kid came out with a game plan of not getting pinned and it worked .

Paddock was horrible I thought Alton looked gassed yesterday but paddock looked like he was about to die out there and was just horrible and unacceptable

157-165 are what they are backups and guys that should be wrestling at a DIII or DIII school

Just trying to be positive

Mike Stann added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

Quote from Tommy Ellis's post:

"I cant help but think that with all of the emphasis being put into next years team that this years team is suffering because of it at least a little ..
I may be way off but makes you wonder what the hell is going on ... I am a Tom Ryan fan but something needs to be looked at and reassessed ..
Logan didn't looked gassed to me but wasn't looking to hard to score at the end of the match.."

I simply don't remember Logan having this difficulty getting out from the bottom in the past with the exception of his first match with Jordan Oliver. Is it the fact that he rarely is down this year (finishes most of his matches before that happens)?

Tommy Ellis added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"

Quote from Tommy Ellis's post:

"I cant help but think that with all of the emphasis being put into next years team that this years team is suffering because of it at least a little ..
I may be way off but makes you wonder what the hell is going on ... I am a Tom Ryan fan but something needs to be looked at and reassessed ..
Logan didn't looked gassed to me but wasn't looking to hard to score at the end of the match.."

I simply don't remember Logan having this difficulty getting out from the bottom in the past with the exception of his first match with Jordan Oliver. Is it the fact that he rarely is down this year (finishes most of his matches before that happens)?"

I cant believe that since his loss to Retherford that they haven't addressed his bottom situation.
Coach Ryan up next cant wait to here what he has to say .

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

I turned it off, this is a weak effort. Something is not right in that wrestling room.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

Tom Ryan said that the performance is not indicative of how these guys train. If that's the case then it falls on the coaching. I'm starting to question whether Tom Ryan should be back next year.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Tom Ryan said that the performance is not indicative of how these guys train. If that's the case then it falls on the coaching. I'm starting to question whether Tom Ryan should be back next year."

I'm not ready to go quite that far, but something definitely needs to change; whether it be training, coaching style, conditioning.

"Tom Ryan said that the performance is not indicative of how these guys train. If that's the case then it falls on the coaching. I'm starting to question whether Tom Ryan should be back next year."

I'm sorry but this is such a dumb thing to say

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

What!?!?!?! I object, JLJ. Sweet Lou, Tom, and the rest of the staff, know what they are doing. I will take your statement as an oddity, and will most likely prove to be so within the next 6 weeks.

I understand you disagree, but why? Shouldn't Ohio State be able to compete for national championships year in and year out like Penn State, Iowa and Minnesota? How close are we to that. Even with Nate, Hunter and Bo in the lineup this team would struggle to make the top 5 at nationals.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

I think the issue is that the staff know what they are doing. The proof is in the last decade of tournaments. (Maybe not decade; perhaps 7 years.) but my point is that they know what's going on. I'd say, if one does feel that way, wait until after the season to make such a statement. Let the season unfold before jumping the gun.

Tommy Ellis added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

I would like to see a comparison of the recruits that we have on the mat versus the likes of penn state minn iowa Oklahoma including backups ..
I have a lot of faith in Coach Ryan .. without him do we really land Snyder , Jordans , Haines ,
change some things up and start focusing on the National duals , Big tens and NCAA championship ..
Maybe he will pull all redshirts ...
and if we had all the redshirts in PLUS tessari and demas and campalatono I believe we would be a whole lot better..
Im a six pack in and starting to talk to much..lol

I don't disagree that they have generally peaked at nationals, but I don't ever remember them underperforming like this during the season.

"I understand you disagree, but why? Shouldn't Ohio State be able to compete for national championships year in and year out like Penn State, Iowa and Minnesota? How close are we to that. Even with Nate, Hunter and Bo in the lineup this team would struggle to make the top 5 at nationals."

Did PSU win national titles before Taylor Ruth and wright got there? They all RS and look at the results the past few years. Yes this a down year but so what it's one year if this becomes a trend then I would agree with you. This form is beginning to soud like a browns radio show. Have we not placed in the top 10 since Ryan got here?

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 3, 2014

We have to remember that tOSU is a perennial top ten team during Ryan's tenure.

10th - 2007
2nd - 2008
2nd - 2009
8th - 2010
5th - 2012
6th - 2013

That is a strong enough track record at tOSU to not jump the gun when it comes to Coach Ryan. We should at least do as Mark mentioned at make such a drastic assessment at the end of the year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next