Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks 2022-2023
Doug Gainous added to this discussion on March 27, 2022

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Doug Gainous's post:

"....someone give me a 2027 "projected line-up"! haha. love this forum!"

Ask and you shall receive.

125) Kilkeary
133) McGowan / Blaze / Herring
141) Bouzakis
149) Mendez
157) Williams / Shapiro
165) Gallagher
174) Welsh
184) Geog
197) Shumate
285) Feldman"

AWESOME! .net never disappoints

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 27, 2022

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Flo has an eligibility remaining article out that tracks who could come back vs who is gone. Iowa and Michigan are gutted next year, and if the Bucks maintain status quo with this line up they return enough points to push for a low end team trophy. I think we also need to recall where these guys were at coming in as recruits. As I recall Malik was ranked 40 something on the big board. Ethan Smith was in the 30s. Kaleb was ranked in the teens, but at the time tankers were a little unclear on him because he didn’t wrestle a ton outside of the season. If we’re being honest, and if you count a blue chip as a top ten guy, we had have three that were starters this year, Sammy, Carson, and Gavin. Obviously there are never guarantees, but between Paddy, and all the incoming recruits we essentially would have half a line up of top five guys. Things are going to shift as long as Jay and Logan develop these guys. Based off the flo article here is where our returning guys would sit

125: Malik 1-2. All but one AA return, but Lee is coming back. Malik has multiple wins over several guys that are AA and rd of 12 caliber. I think size is less and issue than what’s between the ears. He’s the best we’ve got outside of a portal transfer, but I’m not sure we’d get anyone better. Biggest concern heading into 22-23. Without him the weight becomes essentially a forfeit in duals.

133: This weight loses 3/8 AAs. Not as deep as historically has been the case. I think Gonsalez is a solid option. He’ll be long and rangy. From what I saw he won multiple opens. Maybe only 1/2 loses, solid redshirt year.

141: this weight is all the way open next year. The top three finishers are gone, so are Micic, Eireman, and Chad Red. DD can make some noise here. He decked the 7th place Minnesota kid in the dual but then turned around and lost to him at Bigs. I’d also remind everyone that Decatur wrestled NCAA runner up Clarke in the dual in Columbus and lost in OTz. If memory serves he should have won that match. Bucks can score lots of points here next year.

149: Sammy is the 3rd best at this weight, regardless of how he finished. I can’t for the life of me understand how Gomez gets to his legs and finishes easier than Yanni. Sammy is a finalist threat point wise, but has to get his offense changed in order to win a title.

157: the champ graduates, but that’s it. Paddy wasn’t as dominant during his RS as I would’ve thought but that’s what that year is for. Probably tough to crack the top 8, but if he is as advertised then I think he’s probably round of 12 caliber.

165: Wick, Marinelli, and Wentzel all gone. Carson is an absolute threat. I’m betting his freestyle off season lands him on the world team. That’s his best style.

174: Ethan was a top six guy this year. Just didn’t mentally maintain during matches. Three big dogs are gone. Ethan should be top five to start the season. I’m more confident in him coming back than anyone else.

184: Amine and Venz gone. Like Smith I think this pushes Kaleb into the top five.

197: Two AA behind Gavin are gone. Maybe he wrestles with confidence and surprises everyone. Like Carson, I think Gavin is a better freestyler.

285: Mr Wonderful is a low AA once more.

The Bucks still lack finalist, which puts up the points. They will be a deep team and very tough in duals."

Excellent post. Bringing it over for the next page.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 27, 2022

excellent short article on pg 10 April issue AmWrNews by Pat Milkovich. i don't know anyone who knows more about Top/Bottom-- -and he is articulate, still has the fire too.
Clinician anyone?

Excerpt:
Promoting and wrestling more freestyle has diminished top and bottom skills. C’mon, admit it. It’s much easier to coach and learn to flatten out on the mat than to practice those damn difficult, labor intensive, and time-consuming techniques to prevent or free yourself from ankle rides, leg hooks, leg rides, tight waist, and all the other long forgotten skills to adroitly battle an effective top man.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2022

I respect Pat Milkovich but he's definitely a "Get off my lawn" type of guy.

Jared: I agree with most of your synopsis but not Heinselman. He's small. He's better in duals when guys have short recovery time. He struggles in tournies as big opponents have more energy. I don't think it's a mental thing.

I think some folks are overreacting to the Bucks team finish. Too much emphasis placed on the fact they finished outside top ten. Four AA's has traditionally been a strong team performance for any squad outside of Iowa or PSU. If Smith hangs on during bloodround the Bucks are still in the lower end of the top ten. 5 AA's is really good but you need finalists for big points.

I think the Bucks had a good season. And they are set up for success next year while redshirting their excellent class. Obviously a lot depends on coaching. I agree with those who state the Bucks need fresh ideas.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 28, 2022

Buckeyes had 4 AAs which was in line with which pretty much everyone was thinking.

Smith is still a 5-8 guy; just did'nt wrestle up to his potential.

I think Hoffman continues to climb. He triple dipped after a nice run. It happens. Found himself in uncharted water and thought too much rather than focusing on executing and staying in position. After the UNC dual, I was of the mind that he could AA this year. He gradually improved his overall game during the year. As long as he furthers his understanding of position and resolves to become an object upon which scoring is futile, he is headed in the right direction.

Grabbing those lower placement spots are always bracketing dependent, so Malik and Orndorff just need a little luck on their side.

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 28, 2022

It appeared to me as a tough season with a lot of his matches that were so close (sasso). Thats my opinion only, i didnt say it was a bad season.
I admit, seeing how he did last year i expected him to blast a majority of the field but need to remind myself that these are the best in the nation week in and week out.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Jeff: it was a tough season for Sasso. He knows it. So does the staff. Returning NCAA finalists should be more dominant. I don't think you said anything too out of line. The question is what can he do about it.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Jeff: it was a tough season for Sasso. He knows it. So does the staff. Returning NCAA finalists should be more dominant. I don't think you said anything too out of line. The question is what can he do about it."

I don’t think he said anything out of line I just disagreed. Reading your post it sounds like you both feel unless a kid dominants everyone then it’s a bad season.

I do agree he needs to attack more and get back to putting on a tough ride.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Prior to NCAAs Jaggers or TR released some sort of analysis where they talked about how they see how elite his attacks are in the room, but it’s not necessarily transferring to matches. In matches Sammy scores typically four ways. He utilizes an overhand snap to a low leg attack, or he uses a right side undertook throwby to a single leg. On the leg attack side that’s it. Counter wise he is maybe the best in the world in that “churrella position” (at least that’s what Askren cAlls it). Or he counters with a scramble. He is the elite of the elite in those last two positions at 149 with the exception of Yanni. The playbook against him is pretty simple. Don’t shoot, and reattack off of his shots with a quick finish. Easier said than done. In multiple matches this year guys Like Max Murin kept Sammy from his counter offense and did well to capitalize when it mattered. Gomez was the exception. He seemed to shoot and score at will. Still mind boggling.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 30, 2022

In a recent interview recapping last season and spinning ahead to next season, Tom Ryan dropped a few tidbits.

The interview is available on Youtube.

All 10 starters are eligible to return and the expectation is that all of them will. But Ryan mentioned a couple of times that he's merely hopeful Ethan Smith comes back. Sounds like it's not a given with him.

Freshman Jesse Mendez could vie for 133 if he can make the weight. Mendez would compete against freshman Nic Bouzakis and others on the roster.

On recruiting, OSU is in the mix for some top 2022 prospects in addition to the two prospects who already committed (Kilkeary, Welch). This might be well known, as I don't follow recruiting intensely as some. Can anyone educate me?

Paddy Gallagher is doing everything right in his training and in his devotion to the sport. Ryan acknowledged his results were uneven during redshirt, but said he's confident he will be fine long term. Gallagher will compete at 157 against Hepner and Wilcox. Ryan did not mention Hubbard.

Ryan loves Luke Geog, the incoming freshman from St. Ed's. Thinks he was cutting too much weight to get to 170 and that moving up to 182 freed him to show his best stuff.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 31, 2022

Does anyone else think that Smith moving on might help the situation? That would allow Kharchla to go 174 and Gallagher to go 165. You still have a "hole" at 157, but I think it might be a net gain.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 31, 2022

Here is how I see next years lineup
125. Heinselman…during the season he looks like he can be an all American and then during the tournament two straight let downs. Guys like McKee he can beat in a dual but never will beat them in a tournament setting where it allows them to get bigger and more recovery time. Probably a 2-2 NCAA
133. Bouzakis/Mendez the winner of this match wins the spot is looks like. Seems like it has already been confirmed. Mendez has freestyle wins over cannon the AA. Whoever wins this weight should be a Aa threat immediately. 5th to bloodround nationals I’ll go with
141 Decatur/demelio. I think too many people are writing off Decatur. I am not and actually think he will be the starter. He is a complete different wrestler at 141 then 133. He beat Demilio in an overtime match. He has energy and can go hard at 141 where he couldn’t even stand up in his matches at the end at 133. I watched him nearly finish a takedown against the NCAA runner up in the Covelli center at the end of regulation to win the match but was just a few seconds short and lost in overtime. I could see Decatur being the story that Hoffman was just trying to find the correct weigh class. Remember how much better pletcher was when he went to 141. I am gonna say Decatur makes it to bloodround. But is my dark horse that could shock everyone next year.
149. Sasso needs to get offensive earlier in matches. Just needs to get the 2-3 seed not 4 or 5. Not beating yianni but see a NCAA runner up next year
157. Paddy. Number one recruit who definitely needed the redshirt year. I think he makes the big jump next season and probably a bloodround type. Can’t predict a aa finish yet but had so many big wins in high school that I wouldn’t be surprised for a higher trajectory
165. Kharchla. Got screwed against the NCAA champ. Stays healthy he could finish anywhere from 1-5.
174. Smith I feel will be back. He has unfinished business. He shouldn’t have lost either of those matches at ncaas. Think he finishes 3-4 and goes out like he should
184. Romero only one guy above him graduated. Probably another 3-6 finish
197. Hoffman. Great tourney and draw. Hard to repeat that performance but more realistic a bloodround guy next year
285. Top two guys graduate. Tate turns it on at ncaas. Top two guys are Gone. He will be wrestling for 6-8 place range. Great win against that Air Force kid.

Should be competing for a trophy. Michigan and Iowa lost a ton. Our weak spots 133/157 got significantly better and we bring everyone back. 141 may be a slight upgrade also. 149/174/165 should all score significantly more also. Don’t see Ohio state missing out on trophies anytime in the near future. No point to burn Feldman a redshirt. Let him get acclimated to college wrestling for a year then compete for 4 titles. I am excited to watch him in opens. The future is looking bright

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 31, 2022

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Does anyone else think that Smith moving on might help the situation? That would allow Kharchla to go 174 and Gallagher to go 165. You still have a "hole" at 157, but I think it might be a net gain."

I guess it depends on how effective both would be up another weight. Carson is so compact, it’s hard to envision him wrestling up another weight. Senior year he was the champ at 170 correct? He would be one sawed off dude. Same with Paddy, although he is taller. I feel confident that Kharchla’s high level technique would allow him to transition just fine. Jury is out on how it would impact Paddy. He was so powerful against high school opponents. The one match I remember him struggling was against Cael Valencia. He kept getting scored on off of his own shots and scrambles. Mike I think your more right than wrong. 100% agree that 157 would continue to be a major hole if they go this route. Westerville North grad Conner Euton might have made a nice little pick up if this was the plan. Not sure who else would be in the pipeline in that area. Maybe the Wyoming Seminary kid, world champ Meyer Shapiro??

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 31, 2022

I have no personal knowledge of either wrestler, but it seems to me that Carson isn't a weight cutter by nature. He was the best in the country as a 170-pound senior in high school. It stands to reason that 174 would be his "best weight". Gallagher's red-shirt year has been good, but lacks the big time wins that some other blue chippers with his pedigree often have. Just thinking the weight cut may be part of the issue?

With that in mind, others have mentioned a similar issue with Sasso. There, I don't see it. I just think the field has caught up to him a bit. He's still going to be a 4X AA and in the hunt to win it every year...not too shabby.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 31, 2022

[quote="Michael Rodriguez"]I have no personal knowledge of either wrestler, but it seems to me that Carson isn't a weight cutter by nature. He was the best in the country as a 170-pound senior in high school. It stands to reason that 174 would be his "best weight". Gallagher's red-shirt year has been good, but lacks the big time wins that some other blue chippers with his pedigree often have. Just thinking the weight cut may be part of the issue?

Define big time win? He was 17-2 and lost to super stud Haines from PSU and MFF to Hubbard. Did he dominate every kid no did he win all but 1 yes.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next