Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Redshirting in Elementary School and Middle School
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 28, 2008

Take an extra year in college? Many do.

In elementary or secondary? I think 13 years is more than sufficient.

And keep in mind in these cases it is NOT being done for academic or emotional development.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Shawn Allen added to this discussion on March 30, 2008

I don't agree with this idea or practice.
This conversation takes me back .....many years past.
A Jr. High friend of mine was 16 years old in the 8th grade and was considered a stud at the time. A very athletic kid. 3 or four inches taller, 30 pounds heavier and a few steps faster.
He was a key elemement in helping us go 9-1 and win the league title in football. He blocked for me as I set a school rushing record. He started on the basketball team, that also only lost one game and was the anchor leg on our 400 meter relay team that set school and league records that still stand today - over 25 years later.
My friend was held back for academic reasons but was a men among boys in Jr. High. As we enetred HS, everyone gradually caught up and he was average or less. He was unable to participaate in sports during our senior year because of his age.
An extra year or two in wrestling is a bigger deal than most other sports - IMO.How often does holding these kids back provide a positive result?
How old can a kid be and still be eligable to wrestle in the State tourney as a senior?
Can anyone rattle off a handle full of HS studs that did this? Did doing so really have an impact on their potential to, or success in receiving a full ride?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 31, 2008

I actually think holdbacks have the least effect in wrestling because of the weight classes. You only have to wrestle kids your size. NOT play football against much larger boys, or the same with basketball, hockey, lacrosse, etc.

The weight classes are what gives boys of all sizes a relatively equal chance. No matter how old you are, there is someone your size to compete against. NOT the same in all the other sports.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3