Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Student upset at how OSU handled sexual-assault case involving wrestler
Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Doesn't look to me like his wrestling career is quite over. Yes, he quit/was kicked off the team, but he can still walk in this weekend and wrestle.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Student upset at how OSU handled sexual-assault case involving wrestler
Steve Lester added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"Shouldn't a reporter research the facts before he publishes them. It's one thing to publish a direct quote, it's another to publish hearsay. That is just responsible reporting, unless of course you work for the National Enquirer."

I'm not sure, if I was writing it, that I would have decided to correct the father, at that point. Good reporting would entail getting comments from the family. Whether it is then necessary for the reporter to comment on those comments really depends on how important a part of the story that the dad's words, "on scholarship", were.

A story subplot of "Athletes getting favorable treatment" vs. a story subplot of "Athletes on scholarship getting favorable treatment".

How much of a difference does that make to the average reader?

It's an interesting journalism point.

That said, there are other more important issues that have ambiguities. Father called it rape and says TOSU agreed. But that's not clear in the reporting. TOSU labelled it improper sexual conduct which would seem to have a larger range of prohibited conduct than rape itself. Seems like that can potentially range from trying to kiss a female RA to attempted rape of a female, any of which falls short of rape, though possibly meeting serious felony standards anyway.

We also heard the report that the complaint had changed. My question is which report? Did two RAs write up the perp for two different incidents? There could be three different reports (two RAs and the victim) to be perused and reported on, were it possible to look over the shoulders of the administration group handling the hearing.
=============================

I think we all agree (or do we?) that whether he was drunk or not, there is no excuse for ever touching a girl uninvited. TOSU has determined that a line had been crossed and that inappropriate sexual contact was made somewhere, at some point, on someone. Not too many sides to this are possible. A line was crossed or it wasn't.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Doesn't look to me like his wrestling career is quite over. Yes, he quit/was kicked off the team, but he can still walk in this weekend and wrestle."

#Winning

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

As a point of clarification -- if it helps understand the allegations -- rape isn't just sexual intercourse or oral sex anymore; it also includes any penetration by any object.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on May 9, 2012

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"As a point of clarification -- if it helps understand the allegations -- rape isn't just sexual intercourse or oral sex anymore; it also includes any penetration by any object."

Yes, that's detailed above, is probably the case in every state, and that is what the family is charging. But, is that Ohio State's finding for the suspension?

Groping, assault, attempted rape? Or rape itself?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

""I can see your point of the legal uncertainty. But as a parent, even if there was no fire there seems to have been waaaaaaaaay too much smoke for my liking. At best he can go to a local JUCO until he earns another chance at a univeristy.

Hopefully this kid has parents who do the right thing."

No offense Patrick but this point by hypocrite is lost on me. If there is no "fire" I assume he/she means no assault (perhaps a point corroborated by her actions after).

That means we have a drunk college kid who stumbled around acting like an idiot. Go figure.

Now, we cast moral judgments on his parents who apparently, without knowing more, shouldn't pay for their child's college or at most should send him to a JUCO (or Meeeechigan).

If he committed the crime I am fine with drawing and quartering him. If he didn't, I'm fine with him losing his rights at the school or on the team as a result of his drunken behavior.

I'm not sure his family needs to stoop to Gary's false sense of a moral code to raise their child. Where he goes to school or if they pay for it is their business. This isn't one of the Kennedy clan (as far as we know).

Regardless, I would rather try to fix a college kid's drunken bahavior than an old man's lack of integrity."

"old man"? Gee, how witty. And how pathetic.

You are right, God forbid if parents actually exert some control over children with issues. And yes, getting suspended from a university is most definitely an issue. Though maybe not in whatever moral code you must pretend to have.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

I hope no one here is trying to defend the young man's behavior - it's clearly wrong and something a Division I athlete, or heck any college student, should not be doing.

Even though it's hard to tell from the thread at times, I assume the discussion is on a more technical level - guilt vs. non-guilt in court, university disciplinary processes, etc.

Hard to get at the truth here, as all sides are not going to speak - the university can only say so much as this is a pending matter, and the "defendant" (not sure that's the correct term here) has chosen not to comment.

It certainly is fair game to be covered as a news story. Accusations of a sex-related crime on a college campus are going to be towards the top of a college newspaper. Also, the fact that it involves an athlete at Ohio State is going to elevate the story in the eyes of the local media. However, I don't think it merits the level of attention it has gotten on some Ohio State sports boards.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

Roe: I thought Patrick's comment of parental beatings was a comment on Brady's comment concerning lack of integrity, and maybe more, the hypocrisy engaged in my a certain poster on this board.

At least, that's how I read it.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

Roe, I was only refering to the fact that hopefully the kid has parents that will do the right thing and help give him guidance through the situation. As to the rest of Wingnut's point. I will say, he is lucky, Chris seems like an unpstanding young man. But, a lot of good parents have kids that make bad decisions. A lot of bad parents have great kids. If only the world could be reduced to a predictable algorythm as Gary illudes too. Unfortunately in life, A + B does not always equal C. If it did, we would have about no problems in this life. Some things are predictable and some are not. Guys like Gary live in a strange illusion that everything is tangible. Everything is not.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Yeah, girl passes out after sorority event still in her dress? Although I am only about 1 week removed from college, I can still comprehend this chick was probably wasted too.

Her and Visconti were most likely "shack buddies" as well call it these days, and he was a little drunk and wanted to see his sorority pal. She probably left the door unlocked for him and if she did pass out, she did so while waiting for him to come to the room.

She probably just freaked out when she was awoken to a guy climbing in her bed since she couldnt even see his face, and was too tipsy to remember she had a "friend" coming to the room.

Who knows I could be way off, but being in school long enough this is just what I get from this story.
There have been multiple "rape" allegations I have heard in college, most of them get dropped or blown out of proportion."

Your massive reasoning jumps are flawed. Regardless of if she was falling-down-drunk, or even if she knew this guy, it doesn't hold weight. Its the old "you dress like a slut, you must want to be raped" arguement...weak (at best), foolish and sexist (at worst).

Steve Lester added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

"Doesn't look to me like his wrestling career is quite over. Yes, he quit/was kicked off the team, but he can still walk in this weekend and wrestle."

"........a one-year suspension, through May 3, 2013, during which time he is not permitted to enter or be present on any OSU campus or property, according to the terms of his sanctions."

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"

"........a one-year suspension, through May 3, 2013, during which time he is not permitted to enter or be present on any OSU campus or property, according to the terms of his sanctions.""

http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3674&highlight= (spring or summer sessions)

And after you've clicked on this link, be sure to take the KEN CHERTOW CHALLENGE!!! And, when finished with that, learned to peak when it matters most with a camp by KEN CHERTOW!!!

Steve Lester added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

"

"........a one-year suspension, through May 3, 2013, during which time he is not permitted to enter or be present on any OSU campus or property, according to the terms of his sanctions.""

http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3674&highlight= (spring or summer sessions)

And after you've clicked on this link, be sure to take the KEN CHERTOW CHALLENGE!!! And, when finished with that, learned to peak when it matters most with a camp by KEN CHERTOW!!!"

"Registration for this weekend is now full. We will no longer accept walk ins"

"

"

"

And after you've clicked on this link, be sure to take the KEN CHERTOW CHALLENGE!!! And, when finished with that, learned to peak when it matters most with a camp by KEN CHERTOW!!!"

"Registration for this weekend is now full. We will no longer accept walk ins""

He looks forward to seeing us during the spring and summer sessions.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 10, 2012

"

"

You ain't right at all bro. That right there is funny!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next