Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Who are the best college wrestlers ever?
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 28, 2013

Smith champ 90,91,92,94 ---yes u probably right, probation. Still i recall a dispute Smith had over something academic, i will get clarification from Ron Good who resides in OKla, Cowboys are his team.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 28, 2013

Bob, when you think about the level that Burroughs was wrestling at when he graduated, yes, I think easily. The best wrestlers in the world couldn't stop him from getting a takedown.

Tsargush, a multiple time world champion renowned for his defense, and Goudarzi, a multiple time world medalist, couldn't stop the freight train double. Do I really think that Dake could? No, I don't. I think Burroughs gets at least 3 takedowns and I don't think Dake rides him. I see a 7-4 match, or worse, with Burroughs never being in trouble.

Again, this is a hypothetical matchup and I could be wrong as hell. Maybe Dake gets an early takedown and rides Jordan like a mule and wins. I doubt it, and, again, I wouldn't bet money on Dake, regardless of the money line.

So yes, I say easy.

And sorry about Gable. I was thinking he did compete as a frosh and would have been the first to be four years undefeated.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 28, 2013

Let's get to work on twitter!!!

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Bob, when you think about the level that Burroughs was wrestling at when he graduated, yes, I think easily. The best wrestlers in the world couldn't stop him from getting a takedown."

well u could be right? --but i can tell u none of the veteran writers/coaches surveyed by AWN have listed Burroughs among the top 5 ever in COLLEGE, which is what this topic is about. However most are listing Dake now.

u say the best wrestlers in the world couldnt stop Burroughs? but are these FILA guys the best folkstyle wrestlers in the world, though?? FILA doesnt necessarily equate to college.

David Rourke added to this discussion on March 28, 2013

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think that was the year Mollica won it..."

Yep, all Ohio final with Mollica-ASU (Walsh) vs Robbin-PSU (Xenia) Great match!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 28, 2013

It depends on how you define "best ever". Dake has a better resume than Burroughs, without question. If that is the definition, then yes, Dake is in the top 5.

In regards to the difference between free and folk, the way Burroughs wrestled free that summer he scored pretty much every point on takedowns. He wasn't getting points off the Nick Simmons roll or some other free specific move. He was taking guys down, just like he would in folk.

A fun discussion for which there is no "answer", only opinions. Great discussion and lots of fun.

AWN didnt define "the best ever", each writer surveyed defined it for himself.

freestyle takes away a huge weapon that many great folkstylers like Dake have-- in folk they can ride the helll out of u, so the 2 styles don't equate.

fact is the best folkstylers in the world are in the good old USA. Guys like David Taylor who Dake beat 3 times this season.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 28, 2013

Cael lost in his RS year to Paul Jenn, an Iowa wrestler that never AA. Hard to tell what his learning curve would have been that true freshman year.

Logie Bear lost as couple times before injuring his hand and redshirting.

Pat Smith lost early on in the season to Dan Russell of Portland State and would later avenge that loss. He beat a Navy wrestler in the finals. His advantage was the low level leg attack that no one ever quite figured out.

Smith is unique because he was the first four time champion. That says a lot to me. His family name in wrestling is the biggest. He learned from his brothers and met the challenge afforded him. His match with Tom Ryan in the finals was pretty exciting because he needed a takedown and ride out in Carver after trailing early in the match. I remember being impressed with that one. His freestyle career was not as distinguished. Kenny Monday took advantage of knowing his style and being a living legend. He was not ready to pass the torch although Smith could have possibly medaled with his style of wrestling.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 28, 2013

I've avoided adding my 2 cents because admittedly my knowledge base is much more restricted than some others on here. I didn't get into the sport until my 7th grade year (1990) and shortly thereafter guys like Rex Holman, Kevin Randleman, Tom and Terry Brands posters were hanging on my wall. So, with my baseline established, I look at the history makers as worthy of top 5 credential. Nobody had won 4 titles in Div I history until Pat Smith made it happen. Nobody had ever gone undefeated in a 4yr Div I wrestling career until Cael did. Nobody ever won 4 NCAA Div I titles in 4 different weight classes until Kyle did. So, to me those guys deserve 3 of the 5 spots. The other 2 I think are Kemp and (in my opinion) Lincoln McIlravy. Both of those 2 were 4x finalists and 3x champs and either could have been 4x ers if not for the narrowest of margins.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 29, 2013

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Smith champ 90,91,92,94 ---yes u probably right, probation. Still i recall a dispute Smith had over something academic, i will get clarification from Ron Good who resides in OKla, Cowboys are his team."

If my memory serves me correctly, I think he was possibly going to be academically ineligible and use a re-shirt anyway but was forced to due to suspension of team from post season.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 29, 2013

Concerning Burroughs his Sr. year, Caldwell did only lose to him 2-1 in Big 12 finals (got worked worse in NCAA finals) but in a one match situation, if Caldwell could hold him to 1 td, VERY conceivable that Dake would have also. Dake better in every position than Caldwell.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 29, 2013

let's see Jordan Burroughs won an NCAA Championship and a World Championship his senior year!!!Dake finished 3rd at Olympic trials before his senior year(which is a great accomplishment!)at Burroughs weight class.But if we go by senior seasons,no question Burroughs would beat him not even close!!!The best in the world couldn't stop his takedowns at that point.So how could Dake?If we go by college careers no question Dake has the credentials and body of work advantage.But to say Dake is better than Burroughs all-time in college wouldn't say that.Burroughs senior year he was just a little better than Dake in my opinion.Dake should be congratulated for going after Taylor his senior year(I might of too if I just whipped him in the Olympic trials)but he can't make my top 5 greatest of all time college wrestlers.His a true winner only losing 4 times in his career. Cael has 3 hodge trophies that shows DOMINATES,John Smith winning a National,and Olympic championship his senior year.Low single UNSTOPPABLE!!Dan Gable maybe one of the greatest PINNERS ever!! 31-0 all time at the midlands!!Tom Brands he wasn't the quickest or most technical,but the biggest COMPETITOR ever.He got the most out of his abilities 3 NCAA titles.Lee Kemp 4x finalist losing his true freshman year on a referees split decision.Beating Dan Gable at the age of 18,and from Ohio!! Can't beat that. PRODIGY

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2013

These are fun debates. Everyone makes good points--except me regarding Bruce Baumgartner (arguably the greatest American wrestler in history depending on ones criteria).

Ultimately, it's the old Mighty Mouse v Superman debate. Not that I think we should stop having the discussion. Ultimately, no one can say who the best were. But if you discuss it enough, one can certainly develop criteria.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on March 29, 2013

Rex,

I thought that Logan lost all of his matches after he hurt his hand. If memory serves, he did not lose until Vegas tournament, where he hurt his hand.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 29, 2013

Oklahoma State was put on probation because of alleged recruiting violations by coach Joe Seay.

Here's an article from 1991:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991-12-29/sports/9104260880_1_wrestling-pinned-alan-fried

Here's another from 2003:

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/tw-master-of-insecurity.629/

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next