Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: World Team Trials
Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 26, 2013

Quote from Matt Hall's post:

"Here's the video Taylor's tech of Howe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUklmoxcfPk"

A couple things:

1) I'm pretty surprised that this result hasn't garnered more discussion. A 50 second tech over Andrew Howe is pretty noteworthy.

2) Awesome job by Taylor fighting off that head and arm/anaconda. It looked very tight. That he was able to keep his senses enough to transition into a gut was also impressive.

3) With all that said, this is a decent example of why the 7 point tech is too quick. Taylor had built himself a good lead that would have been difficult to overcome, but that was more or less a one move match. It doesn't feel like a match should end so easily.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on June 27, 2013

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Matt Hall's post:

"Here's the video Taylor's tech of Howe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUklmoxcfPk"

A couple things:

1) I'm pretty surprised that this result hasn't garnered more discussion. A 50 second tech over Andrew Howe is pretty noteworthy.

2) Awesome job by Taylor fighting off that head and arm/anaconda. It looked very tight. That he was able to keep his senses enough to transition into a gut was also impressive.

3) With all that said, this is a decent example of why the 7 point tech is too quick. Taylor had built himself a good lead that would have been difficult to overcome, but that was more or less a one move match. It doesn't feel like a match should end so easily."

In this instance the tech did not favor the guy who took risks. Howe took all the risk and was rewarded by match termination.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 29, 2013

While that's true, I think the idea that rules should reward risk just for the sake of risk is a bad one. Howe's risk was pretty foolish and kind of bad wrestling honestly. It's not like Taylor was driving into him and Howe took advantage of that for a throw. Instead, Howe went out of his way to put his entire body directly underneath a David Taylor who was not pressuring forward. After that it was Taylor's wrestling that gave him all the exposure points.

If we want rules that promote risk at the expense of good wrestling, put me in the Olympics--I'll take all the risk you want if that's what scores points. I don't even have to be a good wrestler to do it!

While I'm on this topic... I hate that freestyle doesn't penalize "slip throws." If I put myself in terrible position trying to score some points, why shouldn't I be penalized? If I throw a Hail Mary and the other team intercepts it, why on earth wouldn't they get to keep the ball?

#endrant

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 29, 2013

The dynamic of coming back after losing in a championship match manifests in some subpar performances. Howe made one mistake which morphed into a tech fall. Did not see it as a real big deal. The trapped arm gut is the kiss of death.

Way back there was a rule which allowed only two back to back gutwrenches.

A tech fall ending at 7 is a mistake imo. It is in reaction to the recently replaced rules in which 0-0 periods were common and 7 points in a period would only occur in mismatches. The dynamics of a match change quite a bit when the rules are tweaked even the slightest bit. So, the 7 point cap really does not work with this set of rules. Not for me either Ben Golden.

Regarding subpar performance. It goes back to position. A guy coming back from a loss after training with a championship in mind is typically unable to process at outset of the next match at the level he would usually. This is the best chance to expose a weakness in mindset. If he gets in his groove again, then it is a different story. Taylor took advantage of the flaw in our mental dynamics. This a repeat dynamic that plays itself out at most competitions.

Reece Humphrey added to this discussion on July 4, 2013

personally, I loved the new rules! Not just for my matches but I loved watching the tournament. There is much more incentive to continue wrestling instead of sitting on a 1 point lead to win the period. Although there are a lot of set backs to the 7 point tech (I especially hate the two 3 pointers ending a match) there are also some good aspects to it. Such as: If I am up by 6 when the tech is 10 I'm going to start sitting on my lead when if I know that I only need one more point I am going to continue attacking while I have momentum. The 7 point tech IMO is a little too low but let's not hate on it too much. Its freaking hard to score 7 points on a tough opponent. Also, most of the time, if you can score 7 you can score 10 such as the Taylor v Howe match, he wasn't going to let go of that trap arm gut whether the tech was 7 or 27 he would have ended the match. Ok, thats enough rambling. Either way, huge improvement with the rules and I can't wait for the worlds!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 4, 2013

Good luck at Worlds, Reece. Get that medal!

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on July 4, 2013

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Good luck at Worlds, Reece. Get that medal!"

I second Ben's sentiment. Best of luck to you Reece.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 4, 2013

I can't be outdone by Ben AND Brad, so hem yeah, Reece!!! Go get'm!!!!!

Reece Humphrey added to this discussion on July 7, 2013

Thanks guys!!! I will be 100% ready for the tournament! I was much more complacent to make the team and compete in the Worlds in 2011. This year I understand how hard it is to make a team and how valuable every chance you get is! I will be in the best shape of my life and focused to get on the top of that podium! I'm excited I finally get my chance again to prove how much work I have put into this sport! 2013 World Champion!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4