Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Big Ten brackets are up
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 10, 2019

It's easy, James. Tom Ryan gets to choose his line-up. Without knowing every detail, I'd say he mishandled this situation. As soon as Micah revealed his intention to cut to 149 after last season, the plan should've been for Hayes to bulk up.

It's very hard to add weight once the season begins and you're sweating hard every day. Ke-Shawn should have started getting big in June or July, not late October.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 10, 2019

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"It's easy, James. Tom Ryan gets to choose his line-up. Without knowing every detail, I'd say he mishandled this situation. As soon as Micah revealed his intention to cut to 149 after last season, the plan should've been for Hayes to bulk up.

It's very hard to add weight once the season begins and you're sweating hard every day. Ke-Shawn should have started getting big in June or July, not late October."

And you know he didn't how?

Because he was planning to wrestle 149 in late October.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 10, 2019

"Because he was planning to wrestle 149 in late October."

Hmm I thought the wrestlers decided who gets to wrestle the weight. Your suggesting Hayes had no chance of besting Micah and TR should of told Hayes that.

I understand your point but Hayes was the starting 149 and Micah was coming down so I think the only fair thing would be to let them wrestle off. I don’t know the rules so I don’t know how soon they could of wrestled off to allow loser to bulk up.

James, you know better. Coaches dictate the lineup in wrestling and every other sport.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 10, 2019

"James, you know better. Coaches dictate the lineup in wrestling and every other sport."

Man, you are wrong on this. Hayes was the incumbent 149. It was Micah who stated the desire to move down to 149, not TR. Hayes wanted to stay at 49 and thought he had a chance to beat Micah in a wrestle off. At 149 they are both very close to the same level. After discussion with the staff and wrestlers TR decided the fair thing to do was let them wrestle off. You need to give Micah the appropriate time to get down to 149.

You want TR to just tell Hayes, no way you are beating Micah, move up to 57? You want Hayes to bulk up to 57 and wrestle off Micah at 57, so if he loses he's already at 57? Then if he had won he has to drop the weight again?

If you think TR makes lineup decisions without consulting the staff and the wrestlers to make the decision then you don't follow the program very closely.

Alex, of course Tom Ryan consults with his coaches and wrestlers, but the lineup decision is his to make.

Having two really good guys wrestling off for the same spot in the preseason leaves the loser scrambling to adjust his body for another weight. Now you're playing catch-up. It should've been clear to everyone on the coaching staff that Micah was the superior wrestler.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 10, 2019

"Alex, of course Tom Ryan consults with his coaches and wrestlers, but the lineup decision is his to make.

Having two really good guys wrestling off for the same spot in the preseason leaves the loser scrambling to adjust his body for another weight. Now you're playing catch-up. It should've been clear to everyone on the coaching staff that Micah was the superior wrestler."

Hayes was starting 149 last year and are you saying TR should of told him after the season Micah wants to wrestle 149 next year and you can’t beat him so we need you to bulk up?

I don’t think that is realistic what if Micah can’t make the weight, what if Hayes improves to the point where he can beat Micah?

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on March 11, 2019

I Think Micha will win it.

I like what I saw today.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 11, 2019

I agree Pat. Micah made one mental error and got outscrambled in another. I think he is superior to Ashnault in one area, his motor. I love this time of year!! A couple big ten takeaways:
-Minnesota impresses me. Perhaps it’s because I didn’t see them all year but they they battled their way to a fourth place finish with a deep squad and no champs. Will they fall back to earth in two weeks?
-Consequently Michigan had an awful Big Tens. They did themselves no favors for seeding. They have to be concerned about Micic’s status, and they underperformed at multiple weights (Parris especially).
-The number of forfeits in the consis and finals was ridiculous. Without counting I felt like at least have of the 5th/6th place matches didn’t get wrestled, and how many guys never stepped foot on the mat Sunday at all. I get it, they want to be as close to 100% as possible in two weeks, but I really hope they penalize the guys who didn’t show up and reward those that did with more favorable seeds at NCAAs.
-what happened to Miley Carr? #1 seed to 8th, and they were legit losses.
-Illinois as a whole needs leadership change.
-Is Bo Nickal that much better then Kolin Moore? I felt like Kolin wrestled timid. He was afraid to commit to shots and follow through positionally.
-I still like the Bucks shot a getting four into the finals. That in itself should put them into 2nd place or at least very close to Okie St. Pletcher looks, at best, to be a low AA candidate. Based on seed and bracketing I think he can get into the 6-8 range, but he still doesn’t appear to generate enough offense against the top five. Pulling another AA out of the Bucks will be difficult but not impossible. Keyshawn has a shot, and Ethan should be in the mix for the round of 12. Who knows beyond that.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 12, 2019

In regards to OSU's 149 dilemma, how did PSU handle their shifts at 184, 197, and 285? If we assume the first move was Bo deciding to go 197, did Rasheed and Cassar simply concede and start their weight changes early, or did Cael advise any of the changes? To my knowledge it was planned far in advance and no wrestle offs were needed.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 12, 2019

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"In regards to OSU's 149 dilemma, how did PSU handle their shifts at 184, 197, and 285? If we assume the first move was Bo deciding to go 197, did Rasheed and Cassar simply concede and start their weight changes early, or did Cael advise any of the changes? To my knowledge it was planned far in advance and no wrestle offs were needed."

According to Cael Cassar told him he was planning on moving to 285. in the spring due to not wanting to cut weight anymore. As for 184-197 I assume Cael would have had them wrestle off if Shakur didn't decide to move to 184. Rumor he only weighed around 190 last year so wasn't a big cut for him.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 12, 2019

Singletary getting into the “dance” today helps. He could go 0-2 or 3-2. Hope he wrestles well.
Joey can win 141. The kid is smart and will make the right adjustments.
Micah has a legit shot at winning 49.
Hayes is unpredictable. It would have been nice to see him wrestling his actual weight class.
I like Campbell’s effort against White. I think he can AA.
Ain’t no one stopping MyMar this year!
Moore is the best wrestler at this weight not named Nickall. Someone already mentioned this but he wrestled Bo very timid Sunday. I’d like to see him go for it like MyMar did last year.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 12, 2019

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"In regards to OSU's 149 dilemma, how did PSU handle their shifts at 184, 197, and 285? If we assume the first move was Bo deciding to go 197, did Rasheed and Cassar simply concede and start their weight changes early, or did Cael advise any of the changes? To my knowledge it was planned far in advance and no wrestle offs were needed."

According to Cael Cassar told him he was planning on moving to 285. in the spring due to not wanting to cut weight anymore. As for 184-197 I assume Cael would have had them wrestle off if Shakur didn't decide to move to 184. Rumor he only weighed around 190 last year so wasn't a big cut for him."

Thank you for the info James. Do you know if Bo moved up because Rasheed wanted to move down, or did he independantly (and conveniently) decide to go 197? I don't know if anyone on here will have the exact story; I guess I may just be jealous that OSU's 149-157 situation wasn't as easy.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4