Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Big Tens
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

Big 12 Finals were on last night on ESPN. There was more action by far. Air Force 285 Wyatt Hendrickson might well be the 2nd best at the weight in the country. He is always looking for the pin too. Loved watching him.

The Big Ten is a copy cat conference and the advances in video have allowed guys to game plan so well that the margin between the average guys and studs has diminished. That's why you have to take advantage of your opportunities. But I think some of you are going to be shocked when some tough BT guys get put out by Pac 10, Big 12 or ACC wrestlers.

Bucks have 4 wrestlers who can AA but none is a shoo in. Kharchla in particular could get taken out early. He just doesn't compete hard enough in all positions. His riding stinks. Same for Sasso's. Smith and Romero actually do a better job making their opponents work on top.

If I were the Bucks staff, I'd spend the next two weeks working with Kharchla on quick, clean finishes and clamping down on top.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

Two things stuck out for me, where was Sasso's great riding ability and what happened to Kharchla's great ability to finish. Carson was in on 3 or 4 shots on Hamiti that he failed to finish, and Sammy doesn't seem to ride like he used to, what's up with that? Also I thought Carson looked tired by time he wrestled Hamiti, that may be the reason he didn't finish? But how do you all of a sudden lose those skills?

Derek Oney added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

[quote="Luke Moore"]Guys, that was BORING!!! The forfeits are bad, but man, watching so many top level guys refuse to be aggressive is awful. I respect Desanto for taking risks, same for Gomez. But what other Big Ten champ went out there and tried to score points and build a lead?

And I know it has been said before, but sitting over an ankle on top has to be stalling. That has to be added to the 5 second count rule.

Also, the Bull, while I love him, moving side to side on the edge of the mat not letting his opponent back on is also stalling!

I agree with all of this. I was happy when my kids wanted to watch and was not surprised when they lost interest quickly.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

I've been saying for a month Gomez is going to be a huge problem. When he took apart Bartlett I knew Sammy was in trouble. No way was Gomez going to spend the match in on a single leg with Sammy doing the splits. Gomez does not wrestle scared, and he's not afraid to let it fly.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"I've been saying for a month Gomez is going to be a huge problem. When he took apart Bartlett I knew Sammy was in trouble. No way was Gomez going to spend the match in on a single leg with Sammy doing the splits. Gomez does not wrestle scared, and he's not afraid to let it fly."

How come Gomez could finish on Sammy but Kharchla (after the initial takedown) couldn't finish on Hamiti? Buckeye coaches have some work to do.

Sorry to keep harping on Carson but he's the only guy to beat Marinelli this year and it was a legit win. He's also beaten Mekhi Lewis. He is the real deal. So here's my question--is the weight cut too much? I recall talk of him going 174 back when he was a true frosh. He looks big for the weight but not unusually so. Still, he seems to tire hard as the match wears on.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

Hank-
You made a great point of the attempted seatbelt finish by Carson amongst other things. That was lazy and undisciplined wrestling. Not entirely sure how that happens at the end of the season at Big Tens. I yelled some not nice things at my television when I saw it.

The conference tournament means nothing once you have qualified unless you are the champ. Try and remedy it and you are opening Pandora's Box. That being said, I think the rules committee could change the existing culture if team penalties were instituted for Medical forfeits. i.e. your wrestler can't finish out the tournament, then all of his team points are forfeited as well.

I think Kemmerer dislocated his shoulder again based upon his reaction. Truly a tough dude, but I think NCAAs could be really cruel to him. Like Mekhi last year.

Wrestler weaknesses are getting exposed. Some weaknesses are beginning to show, which otherwise were hidden. Amine figuring out Brooks late in the match and making adjustments was awesome. Gomez looked awesome. These twenty match seasons don't wear a guy out as much but are a different dynamic than what we are use to seeing. Benefits some and limits others. All I will say is that these are the two weekends a year that you need to be in peak performance mode. If something ain't working, well good luck with that.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 8, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Big 12 Finals were on last night on ESPN. There was more action by far. Air Force 285 Wyatt Hendrickson might well be the 2nd best at the weight in the country. He is always looking for the pin too. Loved watching him."

I didn't watch the Big 12's, but just looking at results I have to imagine it was more exciting than Big Ten's. In the 40 placement matches at Big 12's there were only 2 MFF's, compared to the 11 at Big Ten's.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on March 8, 2022

"Riding has got to be the next change in our sport. I respect the skill of Starocci on top but all he's doing is hanging on."

College wrestling's worst kept secret, yet opponent after opponent continues to choose bottom at the start of the second and third.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 8, 2022

"
Sorry to keep harping on Carson but he's the only guy to beat Marinelli this year and it was a legit win. He's also beaten Mekhi Lewis. He is the real deal. So here's my question--is the weight cut too much? I recall talk of him going 174 back when he was a true frosh. He looks big for the weight but not unusually so. Still, he seems to tire hard as the match wears on."

I don't think it's necessarily that Carson's conditioning is subpar. It's just that Hamiti's is unreal--guy appears to have an unlimited gas tank. He's been doing that to everyone all year.

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 8, 2022

I also agree with some type of penalties for the forfeits. WE all knew what was going to happen in heavyweight but can you imagine that amount of people that tuned in to watch that match only to find out there wasn't going to be one.

I"m sure the wrestlers aren't thinking about ratings but something should be done. Everyone wants to see more coverage of wrestling, why would they after crap like this ?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

"Big 12 Finals were on last night on ESPN. There was more action by far. Air Force 285 Wyatt Hendrickson might well be the 2nd best at the weight in the country. He is always looking for the pin too. Loved watching him."

I hope he gets to wrestle Steveson. I get tired of watching the same old Big Ten match ups over and over again. No one in the Big ten comes close to beating him, time for some new blood.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

Rex: Thanks for the compliment on Carson's seat belt finish. I'm glad to know I wasn't alone in wondering what he was thinking.

The idea of removing an individual's team points is a good one.

Jack: I am openly rooting for Wyatt Hendrickson to wrestle Gable. Odds are slim he'll be competitive but maybe he'll get a chance to choose top. Even the great Steveson has some vulnerability on bottom. It just hasn't been exposed.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

They wrestled last year in round 2.
https://youtu.be/-CoHD6J5NEM
But Hendrickson was a freshman, things may be different this time.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

"BT tourney is brutal. Adam Tirapelle commented on twitter that it might be the toughest folkstyle tourney in country including NCAA's."

That’s ridiculous. The Big 10 is brutal, but it doesn’t have Daton Fix, Shane Griffith, Mekhi Lewis, the Hidlays, or Yianni D. The NCAA tournament has those guys plus the Big 10 guys.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"

"BT tourney is brutal. Adam Tirapelle commented on twitter that it might be the toughest folkstyle tourney in country including NCAA's."

That’s ridiculous. The Big 10 is brutal, but it doesn’t have Daton Fix, Shane Griffith, Mekhi Lewis, the Hidlays, or Yianni D. The NCAA tournament has those guys plus the Big 10 guys."

Yeah but none of those guys have to go through the gauntlet that is the BT. PSU, Iowa and UM, NW have 10 good starters. Ohio State, Minny, Neb., Rutgers, Illinois and Wiscy have 8-9. MSU is decent. Even Maryland and Indiana have solid kids. You get few easy matches at Big Tens.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4