Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks 2022-2023
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 31, 2022

[quote="Jim Kessen"]

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I have no personal knowledge of either wrestler, but it seems to me that Carson isn't a weight cutter by nature. He was the best in the country as a 170-pound senior in high school. It stands to reason that 174 would be his "best weight". Gallagher's red-shirt year has been good, but lacks the big time wins that some other blue chippers with his pedigree often have. Just thinking the weight cut may be part of the issue?

Define big time win? He was 17-2 and lost to super stud Haines from PSU and MFF to Hubbard. Did he dominate every kid no did he win all but 1 yes."

He lost 8-6 to Michael petite who went 0-2 at NCAA from buffalo

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 31, 2022

[quote="Nick Lecklider"]

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"I have no personal knowledge of either wrestler, but it seems to me that Carson isn't a weight cutter by nature. He was the best in the country as a 170-pound senior in high school. It stands to reason that 174 would be his "best weight". Gallagher's red-shirt year has been good, but lacks the big time wins that some other blue chippers with his pedigree often have. Just thinking the weight cut may be part of the issue?

Define big time win? He was 17-2 and lost to super stud Haines from PSU and MFF to Hubbard. Did he dominate every kid no did he win all but 1 yes."

He lost 8-6 to Michael petite who went 0-2 at NCAA from buffalo"

Good catch I missed that. I guess that would be the big win Michael is referring 2.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 1, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

" On recruiting, OSU is in the mix for some top 2022 prospects in addition to the two prospects who already committed (Kilkeary, Welch). This might be well known, as I don't follow recruiting intensely as some. Can anyone educate me? "

One is for sure Marc-Anthony McGowan. Cadet world champ from Blair. Lightweight recruit. He released his school list a couple of weeks ago which included Michigan, Princeton, Harvard, Ohio State, Penn State, and Penn.

I think the other blue chipper they're in for is Meyer Shapiro, another cadet world champ. Middleweight recruit. Nothings been put out there that I'm aware of regarding his recruitment, but Penn State and Ohio State will surely be in the mix. He has connections at PSU so that would be my guess.

Outside of those I think they'll be looking at slightly lower ranked recruits to fill out the class.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on April 2, 2022

"In a recent interview recapping last season and spinning ahead to next season, Tom Ryan dropped a few tidbits.

The interview is available on Youtube.

All 10 starters are eligible to return and the expectation is that all of them will. But Ryan mentioned a couple of times that he's merely hopeful Ethan Smith comes back. Sounds like it's not a given with him.

Freshman Jesse Mendez could vie for 133 if he can make the weight. Mendez would compete against freshman Nic Bouzakis and others on the roster.

On recruiting, OSU is in the mix for some top 2022 prospects in addition to the two prospects who already committed (Kilkeary, Welch). This might be well known, as I don't follow recruiting intensely as some. Can anyone educate me?

Paddy Gallagher is doing everything right in his training and in his devotion to the sport. Ryan acknowledged his results were uneven during redshirt, but said he's confident he will be fine long term. Gallagher will compete at 157 against Hepner and Wilcox. Ryan did not mention Hubbard.

Ryan loves Luke Geog, the incoming freshman from St. Ed's. Thinks he was cutting too much weight to get to 170 and that moving up to 182 freed him to show his best stuff."

Can you post the link to that video? Thanks

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 2, 2022

FYI, 2022 Dapper Dan Invite
OSU recruits
138 - Jesse Mendez, Crown Point, IN major dec. Briar Priest, Hempfield, 21-7.
285 - Nick Feldman, Malvern Prep pinned Harley Andrews, Tuttle, OK, 3:53

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on April 3, 2022

The Bucks have a history of getting athletes to cut too much weight which ends up hindering performance. Nick Heflin comes to mind but there’s a lot of others. Mendez wrestled this year at 138. A better weight for him would be 141, not cutting to 133. Decatur cutting to 133 was a terrible decision. My opinion is he would have been way better at 141. We saw as much during the wrestle-off this year. I get the why he did the huge cut but the coaches ought to learn that huge weight cuts aren’t going to get the best performance from the athletes.

On redshirting, I’d redshirt the guys who have a capable starter ahead of them. Like at 141 and heavyweight. Gives the recruits time to adjust.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 3, 2022

I totally agree. Maybe it’s just because tOSU is local and I’m often familiar with their recruits, but I feel like Ohio State cuts more than most, or at least cuts unsuccessfully more than most.

I also feel like they’ve (Ohio State) has had more success with guys moving up and doing well than most. Heflin was mentioned, while he didn’t win another title, Tomasello’s move to 133 was certainly successful and Pletcher was a world-beater at 141. Remember when Sponseller dropped to 157 for a hot minute, and then went back up to All American at 165? Romero’s season this year? Even Snyder can be seen as a guy who bumped up rather than cut.

Long story short, I like Mendez to 141, Gallagher to 165 and Carson to 174. If they can win the spot, great. If not, then you red-shirt or sit the pine.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 3, 2022

I don't think tOSU wrestlers cut any more than most other programs. I certainly don't think the program forces kids to cut weight just because. I'm a big proponent of kids wrestling a weight in which they don't have to cut. However, there are a whole slew of reasons why kids cut besides "the coach made me". Some kids firmly believe they have a better chance at winning if they cut. This is also a team sport and sometimes in order to get the best lineup some kids may have to cut. Other kids can't beat out the guy at their non-cutting weight and I'd be willing to bet a whole lot if they could make the lineup by cutting, they're going to cut.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 3, 2022

"I totally agree. Maybe it’s just because tOSU is local and I’m often familiar with their recruits, but I feel like Ohio State cuts more than most, or at least cuts unsuccessfully more than most.

I also feel like they’ve (Ohio State) has had more success with guys moving up and doing well than most. Heflin was mentioned, while he didn’t win another title, Tomasello’s move to 133 was certainly successful and Pletcher was a world-beater at 141. Remember when Sponseller dropped to 157 for a hot minute, and then went back up to All American at 165? Romero’s season this year? Even Snyder can be seen as a guy who bumped up rather than cut.

Long story short, I like Mendez to 141, Gallagher to 165 and Carson to 174. If they can win the spot, great. If not, then you red-shirt or sit the pine."

I remember the "Sponseller experiment", they had to do an about face on that one. I also remember Keaton Anderson moving up to 157 his senior year and won the Midlands, and was headed for an NCAA title until he tore his ACL. He had beaten eventual NCAA champ Ryan Bertin in their dual meet (7-4 I believe), which was just prior to the Big Ten tournament. But moving up a weight made him a better wrestler.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

Rick: Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVSNJY8L-Y

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

Kaleb Romero was 165 and had unimpressive results his redshirt season. Then he hit the lineup at 165 and continued to struggle. Couldn't finish shots...bad on bottom. He moved up to 174 and suddenly he was much better.

Ian Paddock, Jason Johnstone, KeShawn Hayes, Mark Martin, Jordan Decatur, Jose Rodriguez....all were forced to wrestle up or down a weight. Now, on the flip side, you have guys like Micah Jordan and Nate Tomasello who were so good they AA'd regardless of weight class. Although Micah failed to AA as a frosh when he lost in the closing seconds of his blood round match to Bryce Meredith. He was making a big cut to 141 at the time.

When Bucks invest financially in a wrestler, they dictate the weight class. I'm sure most programs are the same.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Kaleb Romero was 165 and had unimpressive results his redshirt season. Then he hit the lineup at 165 and continued to struggle. Couldn't finish shots...bad on bottom. He moved up to 174 and suddenly he was much better.

Ian Paddock, Jason Johnstone, KeShawn Hayes, Mark Martin, Jordan Decatur, Jose Rodriguez....all were forced to wrestle up or down a weight. Now, on the flip side, you have guys like Micah Jordan and Nate Tomasello who were so good they AA'd regardless of weight class. Although Micah failed to AA as a frosh when he lost in the closing seconds of his blood round match to Bryce Meredith. He was making a big cut to 141 at the time.

When Bucks invest financially in a wrestler, they dictate the weight class. I'm sure most programs are the same."

Just out of curiosity how do you know he was making a big cut?

Some of the guys you mentioned wouldn’t make the lineup if they didn’t go down so is that on coach’s or the kid?

Pletcher was mentioned earlier but he wrestled as true freshman because some got hurt but he was going to RS and wrestle 133 which he did the following year. Eventually some guys grow out of the weight and establishes themselves as AA threats and can pick and chose weight as Sr or 5th year guy. Guys who aren’t in that category typically have to cut or bulk up. That happens at every school.

Be curious Brady if you have any insight you can share on Kaleb and if he was cutting to much?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

Jim: We said it many times on this forum. Has to be true, right? ;)

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Jim: We said it many times on this forum. Has to be true, right? ;)"

Good point Hank

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on April 4, 2022

"Rick: Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVSNJY8L-Y"

Thanks! Great interviews!