Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Natural Laws and Wrestling
Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 19, 2009

Lou and Mark-

Couple things. I wrote these laws to be reflective in nature and they are somewhere between general and specific. They do address very important aspects to the sport in a way that encourages thought. After reading it again "betray our sensibilities" sounds a little shakesparean or flowery and I would change it to be more manly. Duly noted and changed

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Lou Demas added to this discussion on December 19, 2009

Rex-

I think my warped sense of humor got us a little off track. I was serious in wanting you to elaborate on your statement:

Outcome evokes deep emotional states, which may betray our sensibilities and allow for inflammatory and irrational consequence. Knowing this, we shall condition ourselves to act appropriate indeterminate of outcome.

What I took away from this statement was that wrestler's and coaches may allow emotion to dictate how they coach the match or how wrestler wrestles the match when there an emotional over emphasis to win. I feel this accounts for some state meet upsets. The number 3 seed wrestle's 100% of his ability whereas the number 1 and 2 wrestle only to 90% of theirs and on any other day they where 7% or 8% better but now there is a 2% to 3% edge to number 3 seed, Just enough to give him the state title.

What I am interested in finding out is this what you are getting at or am I doing what happens when you listen to a song and give it meaning that is completely different from writer.

Sorry for confusion, but retrospect ''betray our sensibilities'' was a little flowery shakesparean. LOL

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 19, 2009

Lou-
I was thinking in terms of a wrestler "acting the fool" after an outcome; this may manifest after winning or losing in terms of physical expression, verbal expression, and does not reflect well on the individual, team, family or friends. i.e. punching a wall, a coach, an opponent, using expletives aimed at others, partying like a maniac afterward, allowing their experience to ignite an emotional tirade that is irresponsible. This could even occur years later after a night out.Hundreds of examples of which we we were all guilty of at some point or another.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on December 19, 2009

Rex-

Glad I asked for clarity, I looked at ''outcome'' in future sense as in dictating how a wrestler, wrestles in the moment with to much concern future outcome.
Now I would say there are coaches who use emotional out burst and status to intimidate ref's, successfully as a tool. However, I do get your point and I feel it is disrespectful to opponent who has just won, even if the ref made a bad call to act in a negative manner after loss.
Losing should feel bad or no one would ever want to get better but controlling how you react to a loss makes you a better person.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5