Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Discussion Topic: Transfer Portal
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on June 7, 2024

Christian Carroll is portal and plans on going 197. Would you take him over Geog or Shumate? This would be his 4th school he has committed to.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 7, 2024

My guess is he's PSU bound but one of the Mirasola's is the same size.

Carroll is a talent but his history of transferring is a red flag.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 7, 2024

Tom Ryan pursued Jacob Cardenas as a short term rental at 197. Cardenas would have moved Geog to the bench for a season. He chose Michigan.

Christian Carroll is a different recruitment. He’s a freshman who would be brought in to permanently replace Geog, not to mention maybe Shumate and Rogotzke.

I don’t know enough to make a decision. But, yes, red flags. Carroll has struggled to find a home and also a weight class. He might be too big to make 197. Entering the portal this late might also suggest the new staff moved on from Carroll, not the other way around. I don’t know that.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 7, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Tom Ryan pursued Jacob Cardenas as a short term rental at 197. Cardenas would have moved Geog to the bench for a season. He chose Michigan.

Christian Carroll is a different recruitment. He’s a freshman who would be brought in to permanently replace Geog, not to mention maybe Shumate and Rogotzke.

I don’t know enough to make a decision. But, yes, red flags. Carroll has struggled to find a home and also a weight class. He might be too big to make 197. Entering the portal this late might also suggest the new staff moved on from Carroll, not the other way around. I don’t know that."

Interesting conjecture but he wrote "do not contact"

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 7, 2024

I have no clue about the circumstances of his prior commitments and de-commitments. This one seems like one of two things: he's upset with the coaching change to the point of transferring (he tweeted strongly in support of Coleman Scott getting the job), or D.T. has deemed that he doesn't fit the culture, and told him he's not needed there.

I also don't know anything about him personally. I have, however, watched him wrestle a handful of times over the past two months, and he's a handful. Geog and/or Shumate at their best probably don't scratch Carrol's ceiling.

There may be some personal issues that we're not aware of... some people have alluded at that, but as far as I know those are just rumors.

Ohio State lost a similar caliber recruit that had a history of multiple commitments and he's now a national champion for their biggest rival...

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 8, 2024

Ferrari has three years of eligibility left and is taking visits and will wrestle. Getting him would almost gaurentee a second place trophy in a weight of need. I know there is no way Ohio state even contacts him but just saying lol. Him against Starrocci will be interesting.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 9, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Ferrari has three years of eligibility left and is taking visits and will wrestle. Getting him would almost gaurentee a second place trophy in a weight of need. I know there is no way Ohio state even contacts him but just saying lol. Him against Starrocci will be interesting."

Now just where did I put my ten foot pole…

;-)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 9, 2024

One guy who'd interest me for Ohio State from the portal would be Terrell Barraclough. He'd provide more consistency in the 165 area and he shouldn't cost too much. There's no controversial history either. Thoughts?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 10, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"One guy who'd interest me for Ohio State from the portal would be Terrell Barraclough. He'd provide more consistency in the 165 area and he shouldn't cost too much. There's no controversial history either. Thoughts?"

Too late. New hire Adam Hall (Utah Valley U) swooped him up.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 10, 2024

Barraclough was who I was hoping to get. The cost for him couldn’t be too high if he went to Utah valley. He should be an all American threat this year. Over the last two years he’s only lost to top 5 guys really and have kept those losses close. One point loss to Griffith and Haines. Three point loss to Messenbrink.

It’s time to move on from Hepner after that disastrous big ten tourney. Maybe the staff has plans for Paddy to go to 165 or Carson to go down to 165 again. Another option could be Ethan Birden but I’m guessing he redshirts. He is a guy I expect to have a very good college career and no one seems to talk about him much. He has wins over two Penn state recruits Sealey and Henckal and had an utb loss to Lockett. Think he will have a very high ceiling.

This lineup has a lot of question marks. Mendes at 141 and Feldman at 285 is the only gaurentee

125 kilkeary/ mccrone
133 Bouzakis/davino
141 Mendez
149 demilio/ cannon / sasso
157 Wilcox/ cannon/ sasso/ paddy
165 kharchla/ Wilcox/ hepner/ birden/ paddy
174 welsh/ kharchla
184 welsh/ Rotogotzke/ shumate
197 Geog/ shumate/ Rotogotzke
285 Feldman

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 10, 2024

Barraclough is from Utah. I think he decided to go home.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 13, 2024

Carroll heading to Iowa State. Seems like a good fit, actually.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7