Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Kent State - January 4 at 7:05 p.m.
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 16, 2007

With both the Bucks and the Flashes winning three easy matches today, the table has been set for the upcoming dual between these two schools. The Bucks will not wrestle again until this dual; Kent has a match with Clarion and then the Southern Scuffle prior to January 4th.

Kent has won this dual for two years in a row and has traditionally done it with wrestlers that were not as highly regarded in high school. Can Kent get it done for a third straight year? Or will the Buckeyes, in Tom Ryan's second season, prove to be too much for Kent. On paper, this match looks intriguing. Let's break it down.

125--Nikko Triggas and Nic Bedelyon have both gotten off to strong starts as true frosh. Both seem to excel on the mat. This match should be the first of several in this dual that could go either way. Bedelyon is currently ranked in lower half of the top 20; Triggas probably deserves a similar ranking. I see this match as a push.

133--The second weight class where there is no clear favorite. Dan Mitcheff has gotten off to an excellent start and is ranked in the low teens; Reece Humphrey had a big tourney in Vegas. Humphrey is explosive but has had issues with holding a lead when pushed. Mitcheff may be a bit more comfortable at this weight class. Either wrestler winning would not be a surprise.

141--Drew Lashaway was not a big name recruit but has developed into a solid starter. Last season he defeated Jaggers in a match where the latter was not near 100% physically. A healthy Jaggers would seem to have the edge at this wt but Lashaway is not going to be an easy win.

149--The first weight class where one school has a clear edge. Lance Palmer is a bit much for either Jake Kyle or Clint Sponseller. The key for Kent as this wt will be to avoid the fall.

157--My assumption is that senior Kurt Gross will be back in the lineup for this bout. Gross is a 2x MAC finalist and someone that has to be considered an outside shot for AA honors. Jason Johnstone, his opponent, has showed improvement this season and would look to be an AA darkhorse as well. Given that Gross may be a bit rusty, this match looks very close. Based upon the past, Gross would have to be installed as the favorite to win a close bout.

165--Like 157, I'm assuming that Kent's Obie Simpson will be eligible to compete at this time. Simpson has had some quality career wins while starting at NC State but it's not likely he'll match the pace of Colt Sponseller. Sponsy has to be considered a solid favorite and could win big.

174--Alex Picazo has not been as consistent as one would like to see but he is a prohibitive favorite over Chris Estep.

184--You have to like a kid that arrives as essentially a walk-on and develops into a good D1 wrestler through hard work. Unfortunately, Eric Chine's grit and power haven't worked well in the past against Mike Pucillo's slick high crotch and front head series. Pucillo will get a fight but bonus points are a possibility.

197--Kent's Mike Blackwell is an opportunistic wrestler and John Weakley presents a good challenge for him. Blackwell likes to counter and catch you on top. Weakley has no subtlety; he's all power and it's going to work or it isn't. This match appears close on paper but I like Blackwell at home to figure out a way to win.

285--The irresistible force (Bergman) meets the immoveable object (the mammoth Porter). Earlier in the season I would have wondered if J.D. could handle a 285 this size; now I don't. Porter, however, has put together a nice season. I've always believed he could be an AA if he gets more active for a full match. If he can avoid the big move, this match is close. That's a big if.

Synopsis -- I see Ohio State as favorites at six wts--141, 149, 165, 174, 184 and 285 while Kent has the edge at three--133, 157 and 197. Call 125 either way. Of the matches where I see Ohio State as favorites, I think they enjoy a big edge at four: 149, 165, 174 and 184. Kent, however, has a problem in that there's no weight class where they're a big favorite. 133 is very close as is 157. And picking Mike Blackwell at 197 is debateable to say the least. Neither wrestler has big wins at this point in time. For Kent to win, however, they have to be nearly perfect; the Bucks have more margin for error. The "X" factor as I see it is that a motivated Jim Andrassy now has to contend with Tom Ryan. Ryan will have his team ready to go and I think Ohio State will win comfortably in what should be an entertaining match.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 16, 2007

Just checked InterMat's rankings and Kent has ranked wrestlers at 125, 133, 141 and 285. In addition, Gross (out until second semester) and Chine are potentially rankable wrestlers. Kent as a team, however, is not ranked top 25. Seems to me that a team with this many rankable wrestlers will deserve more respect at some point.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on December 17, 2007

Hank,
I agree with you. I think that once Kurt and Obie become eligible they will be ranked within the top 25. The big question (even bigger than this dual) can Kent squeeze an All-American from one or more of these ranked kids? I hope so, and I think so. Plus, you have the fantastic Kilgore and the solid Barlow waiting in the shadows to take the lead of the team. I love how the futures of these two teams look right now.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 17, 2007

Brendan--Agreed!
I've said it before but Jim Andrassy does a very nice job. He takes the kids that commit to him and makes them into good wrestlers. Talents like Mitcheff and Kilgore will AA. And once they do, Kent's recruiting will get even better.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on December 20, 2007

I am getting excited for this match. I really hope that Gross is back. He and Johnstone should have a great match.

I think that I will make the trek to see this match. <thumbsup>

Right after I posted this, I saw that Gross and Simpson are both eligible.

http://revwrestling.com/articles/3192/Kent-State-regains-services-of-Gross-Simpson

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 20, 2007

I know they draw for the starting match, but I hope they mutually agree to start at 125, with the 2 freshman. I would love to see Bergman & Porter be the last match. There are going to be some great matchups in this one.

Jack, I either want the match to start at 125 or 165...either way I'd be quite content.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 20, 2007

Yeah, having the Johnstone/Gross match for the finale would be great also. There are just going to be some terrific matches. I hope they get a good crowd for it. <smile>

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 2, 2008

After Kent's performance at the Scuffle, I think this match is closer than originally anticipated. Two developments:

1) Drew Lashaway v J. Jaggers is a very close match (on paper). Lashaway ripped Adam Frey and was winning for much of the match against Charles Griffin before succumbing. Lashaway has demonstrated that he is competitive with top competition and will have alot of motivation for this dual. Conversely, Jaggers has plenty of motivation as his loss last year against Kent had to be embarrassing. This match should be a brawl with both wrestlers wanting very bad to win.

2) Several Kent wrestlers faded a bit in the cons rounds at the Scuffle. My guess is these tough losses will motivate them in this dual.

The X factor for this dual, however, may be the health (and weight class) of Kurt Gross. Gross defaulted out and was wrestling at 165. Even if he's healthy, what wt will he be at for this dual? Kent may have to use him at 165 and Simpson at 174.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 2, 2008

This will be a great dual. There are many key matches here.

I think just about every weight will be hotly contested especially 125, 133 and 141 which those matches alone could determine the duals outcome.

It should be a very close dual meet but I think Ohio State should just squeak out a victory.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 3, 2008

I also anticipate a great dual and plan to be there.

Bucks are big favorites at 149, 174, 184 and 285 (although Porter can keep it close if he avoids the big move). I think that will prove the difference.

For Kent to win they need to take all the tight matchups--125, 133, 141, 157, 165. They also would need an upset at 285. Porter over Bergman is not out of the question. Bergman's been red hot but hasn't competed for awhile. Porter is coming off a solid scuffle showing.

If Gross is not at 157, however, forget it. Johnstone will win easily and Sponseller will beat either Gross or Simpson IMO. I think Gross matches up badly with Sponseller because he's not going to be able to protect his long legs from the frosh buzz-saw.

What makes this match intriguing is that Kent always wrestles this dual with a chip on their shoulder. And they're at home. I hope there's a big crowd because regardless of outcome, it should be a great show.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 3, 2008

I think it's a good match for OSU to have going into the National Duals. It will get them on their toes. They won those 3 matches easily at OU before Xmas, but tomorrow will be different. I think it's a perfect lead-in to the National Duals. And it's good for KSU also. Like you said, they seem to have a chip on their shoulders, which is good. BTW, IMO Johnstone is starting to come around. He looked great against NCAA Div. II Champ Guerra of Findley. I look for him to step up in the coming matches. I hope Gross gets down to 157.

Eric Curitore added to this discussion on January 3, 2008

Hello, I am a fan interested in attending the dual. I was just wondering the details...Is it in Kent States basketball arena? Just the basic questions really..sorry if this is dumb. Location? Cost? It is possible to purchase tickets at the door somewhere?? Any other further details that would be helpful....Thanks a bunch!

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on January 3, 2008

Eric:
It is at the MAC Center and tickets will be purchased at the door. I don't remember how much it costs but it's probably between $5 and $10.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next