Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Fargo
Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 19, 2021

The annual pilgrimage to the US Freestyle Mecca started this past weekend. I don’t follow Greco as much, but there have been some stellar matches to watch. Major upsets of top ranked guys like Mason Gibson and Vinny Kilkeary top the list in last nights semifinals. Gibson, if you recall, won Super 32 as an 8th grader at 113. Kilkeary is out of the same high school that Luke Pletcher came from. Another loose Buckeye connection, Sonny Sasso has made the 195 16U finals. Big brother is in attendance and in the corner.
On the Ohio front the Buckeye stare has three 16U finalist. Copley freshman Yarborough at 95lbs. Then it’s an all Ohio final at 182. Vanadia (didn’t look up where he was from) vs State runner up Camden McDaniel from Teays Valley. The jr’s are through the quarters and Ohio appears to be in solid position with 21 quarter finalist. Three Ohio fellas sit in the quarters at 132. Fingers crossed that we get and all Ohio final at 195 if Dylan Fishback (NC St recruit) meets future Buckeye Seth Shumate. That would be worth the price of admission in my eyes. Anyone know if they’ve wrestled before, doubtful only because Fishback just reached that weight this year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 19, 2021

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"The annual pilgrimage to the US Freestyle Mecca started this past weekend. I don’t follow Greco as much, but there have been some stellar matches to watch. Major upsets of top ranked guys like Mason Gibson and Vinny Kilkeary top the list in last nights semifinals. Gibson, if you recall, won Super 32 as an 8th grader at 113. Kilkeary is out of the same high school that Luke Pletcher came from. Another loose Buckeye connection, Sonny Sasso has made the 195 16U finals. Big brother is in attendance and in the corner.
On the Ohio front the Buckeye stare has three 16U finalist. Copley freshman Yarborough at 95lbs. Then it’s an all Ohio final at 182. Vanadia (didn’t look up where he was from) vs State runner up Camden McDaniel from Teays Valley. The jr’s are through the quarters and Ohio appears to be in solid position with 21 quarter finalist. Three Ohio fellas sit in the quarters at 132. Fingers crossed that we get and all Ohio final at 195 if Dylan Fishback (NC St recruit) meets future Buckeye Seth Shumate. That would be worth the price of admission in my eyes. Anyone know if they’ve wrestled before, doubtful only because Fishback just reached that weight this year."

Vanadia is from Brecksville

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 19, 2021

Thanks for the update. Please keep it coming.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 19, 2021

All-Ohio Final
Junior 195
Dylan Fishback v. Seth Shumate

Big points for Ohio right there.

Also, Cadet 182: Caden McDanel (Teays Valley, State Runner-Up 2021) is your CHAMPION!

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on July 20, 2021

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"All-Ohio Final
Junior 195
Dylan Fishback v. Seth Shumate

Big points for Ohio right there.

Also, Cadet 182: Caden McDanel (Teays Valley, State Runner-Up 2021) is your CHAMPION!"

Also, Javaan Yarbrough (state placer at 106 from Copley) won Cadet 88.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 20, 2021

Fishback pinned Shumate. Weird sequence that led to pin where Shumate thought he had a exposure and for some reason stopped wrestling and Fishback pinned him. Not going to lie it was a boring match and if it was folk Fishback might have been stalled out.

Not one point was scored that would actually count in folk.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 20, 2021

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Not one point was scored that would actually count in folk."

What difference does this make?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 20, 2021

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Not one point was scored that would actually count in folk."

What difference does this make?"

None but trying to give a little context to someone who didn’t see match. Neither guy had a TD now Fishback had a nice double that he turned into a 5 pointer.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 22, 2021

Fishback held position well against Shumate’s Barrage of offensive attacks. Seth was ineffective at getting through Dylan’s hand/head defense. He capitalized when he had to and ultimately the match came down to two exchanges. One feet to back situation off of a reattack double, and then and scramble situation out of a single leg where Shumate seemingly quit wrestling and laid on his back. Not sure if that was some kind of mental lapse or not, but it was odd. Both will be exceptional D1 wrestlers. Shumate’s explosiveness, athleticism, and high attack rate are exciting for Buckeye fans. You have to wonder if Fishback would’ve ended up a Buckeye if circumstances where different. At the time I think the though might have been (I’m guessing), that Dylan was going to be closer to Paddy Gallagher weight wise than he did. Who knew he would jump up three eights in a year and a half. Nuts
Arizona had a nice little tournament. The Mason Gibson upset by the Arizona kid was huge. That kid ended up winning the tournament. Future Buckeye Andre Gonzales has a win over the Arizona kid. That’s a good sign!!
Once Jr Worlds end let’s hope we get a big commitment from Jesse Mendes, along with a few other studs. Only one Cadet and one Junior champ this year. Let’s hope for better in the future.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 23, 2021

"Only one Cadet and one Junior champ this year. Let’s hope for better in the future."

The Cadet's had a great tournament. Finished 2nd as a team ahead of Russia.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 23, 2021

" Once Jr Worlds end let’s hope we get a big commitment from Jesse Mendes, along with a few other studs. Only one Cadet and one Junior champ this year. Let’s hope for better in the future."

not only Mendes but Bouzakis possibly too.

Ohio slipping a bit, imo Illinois has surged past Ohio for #2 overall state behind Pa. its starting to show in the number of college AAs too. Demise of CYO & YMCA supported teams in Ohio esp NE Ohio is a big part of the reason.

re Cadet FR Worlds this kid from Windber Pa. is DYNOMITE. Bo Bassett a 100 lber will wr for his Dad at Bishop McCort hs. The other gold to Meyer Shapiro at 65kg from Woodbine Md. ..2 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze, 4 DNP in the 10 wts for USA. Not bad!

btw India beat Russia head to head in 2 gold medal matches to win their first EVER international freestyle tourn.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 23, 2021

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

" Once Jr Worlds end let’s hope we get a big commitment from Jesse Mendes, along with a few other studs. Only one Cadet and one Junior champ this year. Let’s hope for better in the future."

Ohio slipping a bit, imo Illinois has surged past Ohio for #2 overall state behind Pa. its starting to show in the number of college AAs too. Demise of CYO & YMCA supported teams in Ohio esp NE Ohio is a big part of the reason.

re Cadet FR Worlds this kid from Windber Pa. is DYNOMITE. Bo Bassett a 100 lber will wr for his Dad at Bishop McCort hs. The other gold to Meyer Shapiro at 65kg from Woodbine Md. ..2 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze, 4 DNP in the 10 wts for USA. Not bad!

btw India beat Russia head to head in 2 gold medal matches to win their first EVER international freestyle tourn."

You mention Ohio slipping. Football is a sport whose numbers have declined sharply the past decade and a half.
There are a number of reasons for that including the rise in popularity of soccer and to a lesser extent, lacrosse.

I would also guess that each generation gets a little softer and a little more involved with video games and computer. I hope I'm wrong but based on what I am seeing I believe it to be true.

How will this bode for our beloved wrestling? Time will tell.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 24, 2021

"

"Only one Cadet and one Junior champ this year. Let’s hope for better in the future."

The Cadet's had a great tournament. Finished 2nd as a team ahead of Russia."

I meant champs at Fargo from Ohio. I have to do a better job proofreading on my phone.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 24, 2021

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

btw India beat Russia head to head in 2 gold medal matches to win their first EVER international freestyle tourn."

You mention Ohio slipping. Football is a sport whose numbers have declined sharply the past decade and a half.
There are a number of reasons for that including the rise in popularity of soccer and to a lesser extent, lacrosse.

I would also guess that each generation gets a little softer and a little more involved with video games and computer. I hope I'm wrong but based on what I am seeing I believe it to be true.

How will this bode for our beloved wrestling? Time will tell."

I feel like we debate this on this forum every couple of months. I’m not super sure I have an answer. I just know that participation is down from the boys side. I see our elite wrestlers getting better and better, and the gap between the elite level wrestler and the average wrestler getting wider and wider. It’s tough to be an exceptional athlete and come out for wrestling in 7th grade only to end up in high school and get tech’d in 45 seconds by a Bo Bassett or Seth Shumate. Kids don’t respond well to that. Let’s also be honest, wrestling has moved away from the “blue collar” montra as well. It takes a bank roll to be elite anymore. Probably true of any sport. You have to pay big bucks to be in with the best clubs and the best coaches. Not to mention travel associated with competition, hotels, gear, etc. You could easily spend ten grand in a year training and competing, again I’m speaking to elite caliber guys. I see coaches getting burned out trying to keep up. Many are starting to shift their attention to women’s wrestling. It seems to have a lower bar to entry and competition to have success. Equity and access are the sustainability pieces for the future of the sport

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 24, 2021

"

The Cadet's had a great tournament. Finished 2nd as a team ahead of Russia."

Women’s Cadets Shock the World
Budapest, Hungary – As reported by Mike Willis for USAWR, “The women’s freestyle Cadet World Team achieved history on July 23, bringing home their first team title. Team USA finished with 149 points, ten points ahead of second place India with 139. Russia finished in third with 134 points.
The team went four for four in tonight’s medal round with three gold medalists to clinch the title."

this could do more for womens wrestling than anything else so far, Americans love as winner and wont tolerate a loser as General Patton said.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next