Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Wrestle Offs: Date Announced
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on October 20, 2021

Thursday, October 28th at 8pm. Admission is free.

I would expect some potential matchups to be announced over the weekend. Should be some battles!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 20, 2021

October 28th is going to be interesting. If you are close, admission is free for the wrestle-offs. I believe there is going to be a livestream of the event as well.

125 - Heinselman is the man at this weight. Hoping Gonzales looks good for the future.

133 - There is some rumor and innuendo that Echemendia may be dropping to 133. I'll believe it when I see it, but if he does, he mans this weight. If not, it is probably Betancourt with Decatur moving up to 141. I would note that the roster on the OSU site has Decatur at this weight still.

141 - This should be fun. You have returning starter Dylan D'Emilio, Cuban stud Anthony Echemendia and Ohio prodigy Jordan Decatur. My guess is that Echemendia-Decatur wrestle off before the 28th, with the winner getting D'Emilio, but I'm hoping not, because that match will be more interesting. D'Emilio will use his mat prowess to control whomever he faces in the final.

149 - Sammy Freakin Sasso!!!!!

157 - The big question here is will Paddy Gallagher, top 5 recruit from 2021, see the mat from the beginning of the season, or will he be on a Myles Martin plan to redshirt the first half and see how it goes. Isaac Wilcox and Bryce Hepner are the best of the other options.

165 - This weight will be manned by Carson Kharchla, who is a Saturday night contender for the Bucks. The big questions in the lineup start here. Does Smith, a returning AA, wrestle off here or go to 174? I think he goes to 174 myself.

174 - So if Smith goes here, what happens to Romero. Personally, I think Romero goes up to 184. If not, I think Smith beats Romero so long as this was his plan beginning in March. I think Smith is more dynamic from neutral.

184 - If I am right, and Romero goes here, I think he gets the spot whether Jordan stays here or not. Jordan has one shot at beating Romero, an early TD and ride for the period, with a possible turn.

197 - Jordan v. Hoffman will be an absolute snooze-fest. It's a 1 TD match, at best.

285 - Orndorff is your starter, but I am interested to see if Boykin has progressed at all, or if he's just a Greco guy in the room.

Overall, this is a good team, with AA threats at almost every weight. However, I would say they only have 2 sure fire AAs, in Sasso and Kharchla. It's going to be a fun season and I can't wait to go watch the Bucks!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 20, 2021

<clapping>

149!!!!!!!!!!

See y'all there.

ps: OHST twitter said to "Stay tuned" for a streaming option. VERY COOL!

pps: I'm ready for them if they need me on the call. ;-)

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 20, 2021

I might pay to hear Niemann on the mic!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 20, 2021

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"I might pay to hear Niemann on the mic!"

The people have spoken!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 20, 2021

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"I might pay to hear Niemann on the mic!"

The Mighty Cruiser and The Mathlete would work well.

(Niemann/Hiatt)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 21, 2021

157 - The big question here is will Paddy Gallagher, top 5 recruit from 2021, see the mat from the beginning of the season, or will he be on a Myles Martin plan to redshirt the first half and see how it goes. Isaac Wilcox and Bryce Hepner are the best of the other options.

Well--how does he look? Is he ready to start? Is he clearly the best guy in the room around the weight?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 21, 2021

Excited to see what Tate Orndorff can do. By all accounts, he's in better shape and looking good. There are three All Americans on this roster and he's one of them.

He was heavy when he arrived last year and never looked like the guy we thought we were getting when he transferred from Utah Valley. I hope he's now in a better position to put up a fight against the cream of the Big 10 -- Parris, Cass, Golden Gable.

Also excited to see Romero if healthy. He was not himself the second part of last season with that ankle/foot injury. He regressed on the bottom. Assume he'll be bumping up to 184 to make room for Carson K.

My guess is Gallagher starts from day one. The other options at 157 aren't ready.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 22, 2021

I just hope we win a match.

Go Buckeyes!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 22, 2021

I bet we don't do better than a .500 record.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 23, 2021

I’m thinking we see some redshirts occur with Gonzales and Gallagher. I initially thought that Paddy would be the guy out of the gate at 157, but rumor mill fodder suggests that the staff wants to red shirt. I thought I had heard that Hoepner was big for 157 and struggled to maintain last year. I guess we will see. I’m thinking Wilcox is the starter out of this contingent.
Gonsales needs to probably redshirt. He appears to be a similar tier to Malik. I’m curious if Malik has made an additional jump. He certainly will need to as 125 is substantially tougher than last year with the return of the Ivys.
I honestly have no clue what to expect for 165-197. However this group shuffles out will dictate the success of this team. Much hangs on the hope that Karchla is as advertised, and more importantly, that he can remain healthy (which I have doubts about). If he starts and is as advertised this team can crack the top five. If not, and the back half of the lineup maintains status quo, it’ll be another 7-9th place finish. This is a veteran group that is solid, but it is very draw dependent. Let’s hope some jumps have been made, as this group has not been done any favors by Covid related factors associated by teams like Iowa and Michigan getting to keep kids around for eight years. tOSU is one of the few that will likely not benefit from those extra years.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 23, 2021

"I initially thought that Paddy would be the guy out of the gate at 157, but rumor mill fodder suggests that the staff wants to red shirt."

That seems unusual based on how Coach Ryan has usually handled these situations.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 23, 2021

Plus their first match is against N. Carolina and NCAA champ O'Conner is supposed to be at 157 according to their roster. Do you really want to send Gallagher out their for his first college match?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 23, 2021

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Plus their first match is against N. Carolina and NCAA champ O'Conner is supposed to be at 157 according to their roster. Do you really want to send Gallagher out their for his first college match?"

Hunter Stieber v Kellen Russell in Vegas. Not a perfect comparison but it has been known to happen.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 23, 2021

I agree Hank, but weirder things have occurred. In reality he could keep the shirt on until January. With the NCAA keeping the extra match rule in place we should get a look at him several times throughout the year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next