Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Offseason Shopping via Transfer Portal
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Rocky Jordan, Kevon Freeman and Anthony Echemendia are all in the portal.

As you look at Bucks next season, are there any weights you'd like to see them shore up with a potential transfer starter? Keep in mind this is probably next season's lineup:

125 Malik Heinselman (assume he's coming back)
133 Andre Gonzales or Brady Koontz
141 Dylan D'Emilio
149 Sam Sasso
157 Paddy Gallagher (with Wilcox and Hepner challenging)
165 Carson Kharchla
174 Ethan Smith
184 Kaleb Romero
197 Gavin Hoffman
285 Tate Orndorff

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Without looking at the portal and seeing who is available I think I’m ok with this lineup.

Looking at previous transfer over last few years at TOSU, Iowa and PSU

McKenna a former AA and worked out great
Campbell - NCAA qualifier
Tate AA - R12
Betancourt- transferring again

PSU
Dean former former finalist to - NC
Hildenbrandt former AA - goes 1-2 at NCAA
Sounds like they might get Real Woods to transfer in

Iowa
Desanto-3AA
Lugo - Covid but was there for 2-3 years
Eierman former AA and in lineup multiple years

Need a guy with multiple years or an absolute stud rental for a year. Unfortunately not many of those guys out there.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

One question on roster management is: how important is winning?

I look at Penn State and although they seem like very nice people it's clear to me that winning is the main priority.

They bring in Dean this season while they have an AA already on the roster at the same weight in Beard. How would you feel if you were a returning AA and you were essentially replaced? Seems cut-throat to me. Maybe Beard was hurt, but I think Dean is there for another year. So Beard comes out with, what, 1 more year starting? Ouch.

Looking at Michigan, they bring in Suriano this year when they have a proven vet in Medley and a great recruit on the roster in McHenry. Clearly a mercenary situation.

The reason I pose this question is programs like OSU could scavenge the portal to add super stars but does it hurt the program? I don't know.

I look at someone like D'Emilio. Is there a more accomplished 41 available (think Eirmann type)? Maybe. But would it be good for the program to work D'Emilio out of a starting role? I don't think so. That dude is what you want in your program.

Then again, if winning is the only priority, it could make sense.

I think I'd be comfortable investing in kids who invest in my program. If there are obvious holes or kids with the right intentions/needs (to me Desanto the perfect example), then fine.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

PSU pulled BB RS and had him wrestle up a weight and now Lee is gone and plan was for him to wrestle 141. But now rumor is Woods is transferring in. He does have a RS but some kids don’t want to be in college for 6 years.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

So are there Enchemendia updates? I quit following him on Twitter after all of that stuff. Pretty tragic story in terms of how he escaped and then allegedly squandered any opportunity for success.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Ethan...Are you asserting that tOSU is somehow more virtuous than Penn State or Iowa because they focus on character over winning?

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Ethan...Are you asserting that tOSU is somehow more virtuous than Penn State or Iowa because they focus on character over winning?"

Ugh, here we go.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Hahaha, I thought about replying and chose not to!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"Ethan...Are you asserting that tOSU is somehow more virtuous than Penn State or Iowa because they focus on character over winning?"

Ugh, here we go."

I want to be clear, I don't think Ohio State is any worse than Penn State, I just think that both institutions are equally neutral when it comes to anything virtuous or morale. They're both concerned with winning, one is just way better at it.

...And as far as the "ugh", I've taken it easy on the Buckeyes this year. I haven't piled on once this season.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

"
...And as far as the "ugh", I've taken it easy on the Buckeyes this year. I haven't piled on once this season."

For the most part, that's true, except for your quinn kinner comment.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"So are there Enchemendia updates? I quit following him on Twitter after all of that stuff. Pretty tragic story in terms of how he escaped and then allegedly squandered any opportunity for success."

They moved his trial back to April 27, 2022. Franklin County Common Pleas. Since he is in the transfer portal, I have to assume wrestling for OSU is not in his future.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 29, 2022

For the top tier programs, Etc don’t know if any program won’t replace you i(recruit or transfer) if a better option is available. That’s the rub at a top program. No different than football, pumpkin pushing, or any sport.

You want to develop character — but in people who are scoring points at NCAA’s. Just how it is a those programs. It is their (coaches) job.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 30, 2022

I agree completely.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 30, 2022

Gary Traub entered the lineup in 2019-20 after Greg Kerkvliet transferred and Chase Singletary suffered an injury early in the year. He performed beyond anyone's imagination and the country quickly latched onto Gas Tank Gary.

How was he rewarded? Tate Orndorff was brought in via the portal to take his spot.

There's a balance in fielding the best team possible and not upsetting the lockerroom. Even Penn State seems to recognize this. Beard got benched after AA honors, but for a guy who had already been a national finalist and who had multiple remaining years of eligibility. I'm sure veterans like Nick Lee and Aaron Brooks were okay with the move, especially after losing the team race at nationals to Iowa.

I don't see OSU pursuing a marquee transfer.

At nearly every weight, the team's projected starter will enter next season in or near the top 10. Not much room to upgrade. The exceptions are weights pegged for a star freshman (133, Bouzakis; 157, Gallagher).

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 30, 2022

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7620221-2022-NCAA-d1-off-season-transfer-tracker

This is the portal tracker on Flo.

Several names from Ohio State now on the list:

Chase Liardi
Anthony Echemendia
Kevin Freeman
Rocky Jordan

I see Cole Hivnor in the portal, he's an Ohio kid from Lake Catholic. Feels like a CSU opportunity to me. Coach Moore has done a quality job onboarding transfers.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next