Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Redshirt everyone?
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Should Ohio State redshirt all available wrestlers next year to better position the roster for future seasons?

This means we wouldn’t see Mendez, Welsh, Rogotzke or Davino.

Lineup would still be competitive and potentially allow for Bouzakis to avoid a big cut to 133 and eliminate a tough decision at the upperweights between Kharchla and Welsh.

Lineup might look like this:
125-McCrone or Kilkeary
133-Gonzalez or Bouzakis
141-Bouzakis or Gonzalez
149-D’Emilio
157-Cannon
165-Gallagher or Hepner
174-Kharchla
184-Shumate or ?
197-Geog or Shumate
285-Feldman

Just a thought. Not sure I even agree with it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

No Ohio state can not come close to Penn state next year but they will not redshirt everyone. They may be the second best team in the country and they want the trophy.

Davino is probably almost certainly redshirting. They will not waste a year of Bouzakis eligibility when Bouzakis can all American even if Davino may be better.

Welsh I believe will redshirt as Carson is coming back. Unless welsh goes 184 which then Rotogotzke will redshirt. One of the two redshirt.

No chance Jesse redshirts. He wants to wrestle and will not sit out a year. I believe he moves up to 149 after this year to make room for bouzakis and Davino and possibly blaze.

The one thing I wouldn’t mind seeing is Feldman redshirt. I’m pretty sure he could use one if he wanted. He’s a three time national champ if he did. Let Hendrickson, bastida, and kirkvliet graduate.

Ohio state will have very few chances to ever win a national title again but in two years is a small window where they could scare Penn state. Nil is going to seperate us from Iowa, Penn state, and Oklahoma state I believe in the future. Marcus Blaze is an absolute must get for this to even happen. Blaze is a title contender year one. Can not lose this one to Penn state. In two years Feldman, Mendes, and Welsh look to be favorites to win their weights. If you have three champs you are in the mix. Then Bouzakis, Davino, Blaze, Rotogotzke, Birden, Shaw, Kilkeary make a very good team around that. Come to Ohio state Marcus blaze.

Nick, strong post. I agree with everything.

Feldman isn’t eligible to redshirt. He already used his redshirt and a medical waiver likewise isn’t an option.

No one is touching Penn State for the next 3-5 years. Its roster is as good as ever.

Here is what I found about medical redshirts.

The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.

The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.

The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.

The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

If he wants to get it I don’t see how it wouldn’t qualify. Not saying he will but it looks like he meets all the requirements. Tom is very reluctant to not put the best lineup in ecspecially when there is really no other reliable backup. Feldman did get signicantly better throughout the season and could still really close the gap or surpass the contenders but in two years should be the heavy favorite.

Jeff Mowrer added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

This team will likely look very different in the coming years. OSU just can't compete with NIL numbers from the other big schools and therefore could potentially lose the title contenders currently on the roster. As great as Blaze is, him joining the team would likely cost the team points down the road unless OSU's NIL numbers increase. I'm afraid it's going to be frustrating in the near future.

Nick, he won’t be granted an extra year to use whenever he wants. If it comes it would be after his fifth season on campus.

But don’t think it applies here because he had a regular redshirt to use during his injury season. The injury didn’t cost him a season of eligibility. Same thing happened with Logan Stieber. He got hurt his first season and took a redshirt.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Why it the assumption that tOSU can’t keep up with other universities with regard to NIL? Ohio state is just as big or bigger than all other schools. They are just as popular or more so than all other schools. They literally have more money than they know what to do with. What am I missing?

I don’t think we lose anyone on the roster to Nil money. I think the money we do get goes to the current roster and that’s why we can’t pick up people through the portal because we can’t budget everybody.

Tom is adamant in proclaiming we won’t lose any guys in the portal unless they can’t start here. There are only three guys on the current roster who would get big nil deals.

Feldman has already supposedly turned down a huge chunk of money from Penn state to flip. He stayed loyal and is too good of a kid. He’s not leaving.

Mendes isn’t going anywhere after this seasons over. He may end up as one of Ohio state all time greats behind only Logan and Ohio state will match what they have to if they need. If norther Colorado can match Allirez Ohio state can match another program if need be.

Welsh possibly could get an offer and maybe would go to back to Pennsylvania as he probably grew up a Penn state fan. Penn state is so loaded around his weight I don’t even see them giving him a huge offer. They have Sealey, Barr, Mirasola, Facundo, and Ryder all at or around his weight.

I think where the Nil will hurt is is initial recruiting. Super recruits like Bassett and Blaze we may not be able to land. Guys in the portal we may not be able to land. Money we have will be to keeep current roster in tack.

The only guy we have ever truly lost was Kirkvliet. That was only because of Benedict Snyder also not money. Snyder is all on Penn state now. Kind of makes me sick hearing him talk about it. Saying he roots for Penn state every single match. Glad nil wasn’t around when he was here. He may have been gone after year one. I wonder if him and the staff have any sort of relationship anymore.

Michael,
The football team does not give their revenues to the wrestling team. Nil is great for Ohio state football not Ohio state wrestling. The wrestling team needs to raise their money through boosters to the wrestling team. Penn state, Iowa and Oklahoma state have much more donors and fans of the wrestling programs than Ohio state does. Michigan has cliff keen backing it up.

It is a business. Ohio state won’t spend 100k a year to get a recruit in a sport that isn’t even profitable at Ohio state. The team must raise the funds itself. They will spend a million on a qb bc Ohio state football makes more money than any other program in the nation.

I’m not a particular fan of any of the schools mentioned, but it sounds like excuses are being made for future shortcomings. Before NIL (during the Ryan era) Ohio State was a perennial top five team and a contender when Penn State had a “down year”. I think most people forecast them being the exact same thing over the next five years at the start of the NIL era. How are their finishes moving g forward blamed on NIL when they’re likely going to be identical to pre-NIL?

And even if I accept the premise that’s all going to be about NIL, if Iowa, Michigan Penn State and Oklahoma State can do something financially in a particular sport, then Ohio State can too. It’s not like we’re talking about Kent or Eastern Michigan here…this is Ohio State. They’re not some plucky underdog trying to claw their way to the top. They have more advantages than most. Again, what am I missing?

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5068724-tax-forms-reveal-stunning-finances-at-nittany-lion-wrestling-club

This is an older article but shows some financial numbers to give you an idea. If you don’t have donors opening checkbooks for the wrestling program the recruits will go elsewhere. Ohio state has probably been the second best program over the pas 15 years. Maybe third. I still think they will be top 5 but just won’t be able to keep up with the super teams I mentioned earlier as they will continuously be able to pluck off the transfer portal if they have any holes at all. Ohio state had holes at 16( and 197 this year and was unable to do anything about it. Other contenders will just write a blank check if they need.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I’m not a particular fan of any of the schools mentioned, but it sounds like excuses are being made for future shortcomings. Before NIL (during the Ryan era) Ohio State was a perennial top five team and a contender when Penn State had a “down year”. I think most people forecast them being the exact same thing over the next five years at the start of the NIL era. How are their finishes moving g forward blamed on NIL when they’re likely going to be identical to pre-NIL?

And even if I accept the premise that’s all going to be about NIL, if Iowa, Michigan Penn State and Oklahoma State can do something financially in a particular sport, then Ohio State can too. It’s not like we’re talking about Kent or Eastern Michigan here…this is Ohio State. They’re not some plucky underdog trying to claw their way to the top. They have more advantages than most. Again, what am I missing?"

I'm not sure what you're missing. Ohio State enjoys more advantages than almost every program in the country. It's the "almost" that's the challenge.

Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, and now Oklahoma State are, as of yet, better funded on the NIL front.

Previously you could envision a scenario where OSU beats PSU if Cael were to miss on a few recruits, and TR & co. hit a perfect storm lineup with a few title challengers and a handful of other AA's.

Now it's difficult to even picture that scenario when any "miss" or gap in Cael's lineup is going to be instantly plugged with an established all-american in the transfer portal.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Also, this is an entire different can of worms, but the move to roster limits vs. scholarship limits is coming, and it's coming soon. At the same time, football programs are going to start paying players up to the cap limit.

Nobody that I've seen really has a handle yet on what exactly that means for NCAA wrestling, among other Olympic sports. There's still a lot of legal considerations to sort out.

That being said, I think a number of wrestling programs are simply going to go away. Hopefully the Big 10 remains in tact but I wouldn't be shocked to see some losses there as well.

Starrocci alone got over 400k to come back next season. Penn state has such a budget advantage it’s unreal. I mean they were already the best but being the best and having the biggest budget gives no one else a chance. They got Messenbrink, Kirkvliet, Nagao, traux all from the portal on a team that already was going to win it. Penn state probably has over 20 kids getting full rides next year. They will have backups scattered all over the place that could all American. Like Tom said the days of 9.9 scholarships and even playing fields are over. And kids will sit and wait there turn there bc they will be compensated.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on June 3, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Ok, I understand that the programs mentioned are better funded, from an NIL perspective, than tOSU. My question is why? If you need doners to get out their checkbooks, why would Ohio State have significantly less than the schools mentioned? And if they don’t, isn’t that someone’s fault?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next