Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Sarah Hildebrandt
Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 6, 2024

She just wrestled a technically perfect match against Dologorjav (Mongolia) in the semifinals. Super impressed. Wrestles Vinesh (India) in finals. Both won 5-0 in semis. This match looks even on paper. Sarah's hand discipline and defense is lights out. Vinesh has a power shot; she snaps hard, fakes the head and power penetration. This match will likely be decided by 1 pivotal sequence. She's a great competitor. Love where women's wrestling is at.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 6, 2024

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"She just wrestled a technically perfect match against Dologorjav (Mongolia) in the semifinals. Super impressed. Wrestles Vinesh (India) in finals. Both won 5-0 in semis. This match looks even on paper. Sarah's hand discipline and defense is lights out. Vinesh has a power shot; she snaps hard, fakes the head and power penetration. This match will likely be decided by 1 pivotal sequence. She's a great competitor. Love where women's wrestling is at."

Shocked when Vinesh beat Yui in round 1. Rewatched it and Vinesh literally didn't do anything but grab wrists and defend in that match for the first 5:40 (in which she was put on the clock twice and didn't attempt any offense in either). Down 2-0, she put a 20 second sprint on Yui and score the td when it looked like Yui's foot stuck in the mat when she was on her heels -- then she stopped moving when she hit the mat. Yui was 82-0 heading into that match. Her own surprising lack of offense - only 2 leg attacks - combined with Vinesh's D led to her 1 career int'l loss. And gives Sarah a golden, pun intended, opportunity tomorrow. She gets it done!!!

USA USA USA

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 7, 2024

Vinesh from India fails to make weight (check X post by Jordan Burroughs. She was cutting all night and weighed in at 50.1 kg. 0.22 pounds over)

She is out. No medal. No nothing.

Cuban she beat in the semis advances to the gold medal match.

The first round repechage match featuring Yui (see above) is now the Bronze medal match.

WILD!!!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 7, 2024

Thanks Brady!

Going to watch the Vinesh v Sasaki when I get a chance after reading your synopsis. Tough way to go out after wrestling excellently.

That's a gutsy strategy and to pull it off is very remarkable. Classic Rope a Dope.

So, Livach v Sasaki for 3rd

Yes on who's wrestling for bronze.

Lots of calls for Vinesh to get the Silver. For weight allowance on day 2. While the heart says yes, the mind says no. More time to make weight I'm ok with. Why does a gold medal match participant need to make weight so early in the AM? I'm ok with that because the person is still making weight -- BUT everybody knew the rules. She made the choice for the weight cut and it backfired on day 2.

Hard no on silver because that rule has been around forever. Does that take anything away from her performance. No. It was outstanding. However, the world in which we live only values medals which is the goal behind the belief that she should receive it despite not making weight.

I blame the IOC for 4 weight classes. While it is the individual's responsibility to make good decisions. Tweeners get screwed with too few weight classes. If someone really wants something they are going to make extreme sacrifices to satisfy their goals. The system was set up in a way that led to this outcome.

Men's had ten in '96, World Championships have 10 for men and women. Simple solution. 10 weight classes.

"Hard no on silver because that rule has been around forever. Does that take anything away from her performance. No. It was outstanding. However, the world in which we live only values medals which is the goal behind the belief that she should receive it despite not making weight. "

Totally agree.

In her case, she wasn't a tweener. Her normal Int'l weight has been 53KG which is an Olympic weight. She was hurt and didn't compete in worlds last year and another Indian won the bronze. She decided to drop to 50 KG rather than appeal to the Indian wrestling federation (which she was a major protestor and whistleblower for sexual abuse occurring -- read that story and one gains even more respect for Vinesh) for a wrestle off at 53KG which, as I've read, probably wouldn't have been granted. So she made the decent and it was an awesome decision ... until it wasn't.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 7, 2024

"
I blame the IOC for 4 weight classes. While it is the individual's responsibility to make good decisions. Tweeners get screwed with too few weight classes. If someone really wants something they are going to make extreme sacrifices to satisfy their goals. The system was set up in a way that led to this outcome. "

Women have 6 weight classes now, right? When they dropped men's freestyle and greco down from 7 to 6, they gave two weight classes to women.

Ben you are correct, 6.

Brady-
I made an assumption about the tweener after reading it was not her usual weight class. Didn't know the whole story. The Indian women's freestyler at 53 kg did not look mentally ready to compete.

OLYMPIC CHAMPION!!!!!!

Pure joy! The award stands for her and Amit have been awesome!!!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 8, 2024

I watched the interview which ends with her saying I get to be Sarah. This had so much meaning to me and maybe it's not my interpretation but it was powerful.

When you're chasing your dream at that high level, you're doing what other people are telling you to do and trying to fit a mode of behavior that is very constrained. It's like being an artist and told that you have to do it a certain way with a limited number of colors on your palette. Once you realize that you have freedom to enjoy the pursuit and can go about the path in your own way, that is when you really start to develop and in Maslow's hierarchy is Self-actualization which is becoming the best version of herself. She was the best version of herself and all came to fruition. Even if she hadn't won the tournament, she already did with the way she went about her life and training for this past quad.

If anyone has that clip, please post. Might save that last sound bite as it was awesome.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 8, 2024

Our women have so much class. We are fortunate they represent us.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on August 8, 2024

"I watched the interview which ends with her saying I get to be Sarah. This had so much meaning to me and maybe it's not my interpretation but it was powerful

If anyone has that clip, please post. Might save that last sound bite as it was awesome."

Not sure if this is exactly what you meant but it must be close.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-6xN98FJIyc

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on August 8, 2024

The whole interview can be found here
https://www.flowrestling.org/events/12571507-2024-olympic-games-watch-party/videos?playing=12770415&limit=60

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 8, 2024

"The growth as just Sarah is what I'm thankful for."

That's a cool line.

The part about too mechanical hits hard.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next