Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Discussion Topic: Transfer Portal
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 23, 2024

Teener to Iowa. Ferrari to cal bakersfield

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 26, 2024

The Brands must hate Zeke Jones. They keep buying all his studs.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 26, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Teener to Iowa. Ferrari to cal bakersfield"

That stinks for ASU, and in my opinion, college wrestling in general. ASU is one of the best second tier teams and often in the trophy race, so losing a runner up is a huge blow.

Last edited by Jeff Streu on August 26, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 26, 2024

Glazier is leaving Iowa and going to SDSU.

Sounds like Iowa is losing a few other guys and current team members are little irked they aren't getting bags of cash but one year rentals are

Iowa added the following and still going to finish at best 2nd place.

Parco
Teemer
Caliendo
Buchanan

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 26, 2024

Iowa is ruining college wrestling. They are contacting kids who are not in the portal and telling them they will pay them 500k to become Hawkeyes, buying teslas, paying for apartments. Rumor was they tried to get Bouzakis last summer also. Iowa doesn’t seem to show loyalty to their own kids something that Tom Ryan tries his hardest to do. I can’t even imagine how much they are telling Blaze they would give him. Maybe that’s why he is taking so much time to decide.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 26, 2024

"Iowa is ruining college wrestling. They are contacting kids who are not in the portal and telling them they will pay them 500k to become Hawkeyes, buying teslas, paying for apartments. Rumor was they tried to get Bouzakis last summer also. Iowa doesn’t seem to show loyalty to their own kids something that Tom Ryan tries his hardest to do. I can’t even imagine how much they are telling Blaze they would give him. Maybe that’s why he is taking so much time to decide."

PSU posters say Blaze is committing to PSU after world team trials in September

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 26, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"Iowa is ruining college wrestling. They are contacting kids who are not in the portal and telling them they will pay them 500k to become Hawkeyes, buying teslas, paying for apartments. Rumor was they tried to get Bouzakis last summer also. Iowa doesn’t seem to show loyalty to their own kids something that Tom Ryan tries his hardest to do. I can’t even imagine how much they are telling Blaze they would give him. Maybe that’s why he is taking so much time to decide."

PSU posters say Blaze is committing to PSU after world team trials in September"

BOOOOOOOOOOO

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 27, 2024

There are zero reliable sources saying that Blaze is going to Penn state. If it was reliable it would be all over. I see one guy on Penn states claiming that they are getting him after worlds along with Bassett and Forrest in the future. No one is buying that’s a real source. They are also claiming Ohio state and Iowa are offering more money for him. While it wouldn’t surprise me if he went to Penn State I really just don’t think he’s made up his mind yet. This has been one of the tightest lip recruitments I have ever seen and Marcus has been very cautious to give anything away.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on August 27, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 27, 2024

"There is zero reliable sources saying that Blaze is going to Penn state. If it was reliable it would be all over. I see one guy on Penn states claiming that they are getting him after worlds along with Bassett and Forrest in the future. No one is buying that’s a real source. They are also claiming Ohio state and Iowa are offering more money for him. While it wouldn’t surprise me if he went to Penn State I really just don’t think he’s made up his mind yet. This has been one of the tightest lip recruitments I have ever seen and Marcus has been very cautious to give anything away."

Yeah I haven't seen anything credible anywhere either. My nephew is at Perrysburg a few days a week for training and said Blaze never says a word about recruiting.

That being said I wouldn't be shocked if he went to PSU.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on August 27, 2024

Seeing a lot of backlash about Iowa on Twitter and on OWN.

Why not similar disdain for Michigan, who basically is reinventing their line up annually with transfers? I'm sure this is backed by Cliff Keen money, right?

Also, this validates the opinion of many on this forum who appreciate how Tom Ryan runs tOSU. I've said this before and still believe it: I'll happily root for a team who recruits hard, builds a roster, and develops athletes and men. Even if that program only gets 2nd or 3rd.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on August 28, 2024

Ethan there is a big difference between what Iowa is doing and Michigan. Michigan at least waits until the kids decide to go into the portal and then go after them. Iowa is contacting kids who aren’t in portal and offering them money to jump in the portal and become Hawkeyes. That is what is upsetting a lot of people.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on August 28, 2024

Nick - agree with that part. But I've also read a lot of people who are upset that the transfers are getting paid, while kids on the current roster aren't.

I saw one who brought up the disrespect of someone like Teemer getting offered 500K while Ayala only is getting 100K.

Bottom line - the belief is that kids on the current roster feel slighted. I don't think that matters when the transfer is offered.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on August 28, 2024

Iowa would/should be a top 5 team with Glazier, Riggans etc. still in the line up.

Do these transfers make them even better? Yes but not beating Penn St. Why throw all of this money around to finish in 2nd or 3rd place when they are already in contention as is? Maybe if it was done the right way but it seems they are tampering and paying out boatloads. No one remembers second place a year from now.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on August 28, 2024

Iowa would/should be a top 5 team with Glazier, Riggans etc. still in the line up.

Do these transfers make them even better? Yes but not beating Penn St. Why throw all of this money around to finish in 2nd or 3rd place when they are already in contention as is? Maybe if it was done the right way but it seems they are tampering and paying out boatloads. No one remembers second place a year from now.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 28, 2024

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Iowa would/should be a top 5 team with Glazier, Riggans etc. still in the line up.

Do these transfers make them even better? Yes but not beating Penn St. Why throw all of this money around to finish in 2nd or 3rd place when they are already in contention as is? Maybe if it was done the right way but it seems they are tampering and paying out boatloads. No one remembers second place a year from now."

Tom Ryan was correct to note that this type of strategy will hurt team cohesion. People will root against Iowa all season. Buchanan and Teemor will be loudly booed every time they take the mat.

There's a time and place for plucking a transfer from portal but the smart play will be to invest in your own talent.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next