Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: #DET2022 - D-I NCAA Wrestling Tournament Discussion
Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Can we get rid of the challenge brick, it bogs down the matches

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

That was a rough morning

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Nice to see sasso shooting again. Almost had the last takedown.he will need to return to old form again if he wants to ever make a finals at this weight or higher. Its an off year, crazy to say that when he will still AA. I think we all felt a national championship was in his grasp after last year. I looked over his brackets from 21 and it was points points points. This year, 3 or 4 ....
I've asked this before but does anyone know if this is a weight issue or just a little off year for him ?

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Nice to see sasso shooting again. Almost had the last takedown.he will need to return to old form again if he wants to ever make a finals at this weight or higher. Its an off year, crazy to say that when he will still AA. I think we all felt a national championship was in his grasp after last year. I looked over his brackets from 21 and it was points points points. This year, 3 or 4 ....
I've asked this before but does anyone know if this is a weight issue or just a little off year for him ?

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rex: Wrestling journalists always talk about which teams have X, Y and Z returning who were AA's last season. Then they rank accordingly. It's really annoying."

The same will be true next year for Hoffman. The reality is he's a middle of the pack NCAA qualifier type with the ability to occasionally win close matches against stronger opponents.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

I know it won't happen, but I wish OSU could hire Russ Hellickson to work with Hoffman. Russ was great with the big guys, and Hoffman is oh so close to winning a lot of those close matches. He definitely has the Most Improved award at the sports banquet this year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rex: Wrestling journalists always talk about which teams have X, Y and Z returning who were AA's last season. Then they rank accordingly. It's really annoying."

The same will be true next year for Hoffman. The reality is he's a middle of the pack NCAA qualifier type with the ability to occasionally win close matches against stronger opponents."

No question that he got the right draw against the right style opponents.

Bernie Truax is really, really good.

There are a number of programs which got overlooked during the season who are showing up and performing at NCAA's. Princeton, NW, ASU and Oregon State spring to mind. Chris Pendleton is doing nice work. ASU had a disappointing season but got their lineup together when it mattered.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Did Hidlay get any stalling warnings that match? Wrestled nearly the entire match moving backwards around the edge.

Tough loss but a good match. Kaleb was reaching for that left leg as they went out of bounds but just a little out of reach.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Tough loss but a good match. Kaleb was reaching for that left leg as they went out of bounds but just a little out of reach."

I guess no reaction time is a thing of the past. Kaleb did hit both ankles for a half second.

Hidlay got called 1x for stalling. Amazing. He was backing to the edge 80% of the match. He dove out of bounds twice to avoid a takedown. Ugly wrestling.

Wow, the ISU kid pulled Hoffman's head gear so much as he was pinning him, it was pulled off his head. No call by ref.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Bucks will finish 13th in the team standings unless Princeton wins titles at 125 with Glory and 157 with Monday. If that happens, they'll be 14th.

It's only the second time in 15 national tournaments under Tom Ryan that the Bucks failed to crack the top 10.

Among Big 10 teams, the Bucks finish seventh behind Penn State, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern and Minnesota.

Tough patch for the program created by too many recruiting misses and by rival programs benefitting from the free year of eligibility. Next year should be better. I do think the staff should think hard about targeting certain weight classes through the transfer portal.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"

Kizhan wrestles the same blueprint of a match against every tough opponent. His scores are 4-3, 4-2 SV, 3-0, UTB 2-2. He is getting called for stalling tonight, but I suspect he will take Lee down a couple times. If he can ride on top, there is a chance he wins. He has to slow the Lee train down which is a huge task. Really looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

"

Rex: Kizhan Clarke hasn't scored more than four points in any of his matches. What makes you think he'll take down Nick Lee not once but twice?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Wait until next year!

Four All-Americans - is that what was expected? Do we feel a person or two missed out? Or did we over-shoot our abilities?

To me it seems a bit under. I thought a Smith win in the first round would have changed things. But…that is college wrestling. It’s difficult.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Wow, the ISU kid pulled Hoffman's head gear so much as he was pinning him, it was pulled off his head. No call by ref."

Here is video of it. ?????????????????????????????

https://twitter.com/moore_of_kollin/status/1505248450006429707?s=21

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next