Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Discussion Topic: #DET2022 - D-I NCAA Wrestling Tournament Discussion
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Match should have been stopped and a penalty point awarded. But it likely made little difference in the outcome. Is anyone confident in Hoffman rallying down 6-1?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Match should have been stopped and a penalty point awarded. But it likely made little difference in the outcome. Is anyone confident in Hoffman rallying down 6-1?"

That really isn't the point. It is against the rules and the match should have been stopped with points awarded according to what happened.
I am 100% confident that if I missed something like that, any coach I deal with would be up my butt (and rightfully so).
IMO, to not call the violation and yet call the pin is inexcusable.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Ref should be scolded. I’m choosing to not be bothered by something that was likely inconsequential to the outcome. There were many hundreds of matches this weekend. Not all will be officiated perfectly. That’s reality.

I don’t think officiating had a big impact on any OSU matches. I might think otherwise after I rewatch Kharchla’s near score against O’Toole.

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

This year is a bit disappointing but i think because of a run of great success we now expect them to compete for a title every year. They were bound to have a rough patch. They finished about where i expected, 197 and 285 were gonna be toss ups, from seed points i think they excelled, especially compared to the season results.
I think people tend to look at the best case scenario for osu to finish including me, without taking reality into it. This is a team with great wrestlers, outside of Sasso not one of them were expected to finish in the top 3 or in my opinion at least. We had a few that were very close and i take that as a win !!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

"Match should have been stopped and a penalty point awarded. But it likely made little difference in the outcome. Is anyone confident in Hoffman rallying down 6-1?"

Probably doesn't change the outcome, but it was so blatant. If it were incidental, I could live with the no call. Kind of like face mask calls in football, if you grab a hand full of mask and pull the guy to the ground, that's blatant and has to be called. The ISU kid had a firm grasp of the head gear and had it for a few seconds, then helped him pin Hoffman by pulling down until the gear was off his head. Gotta call it. If not for the integrity of the sport, no matter the score. There was a kid years ago that was way behind near the end of the finals match and pulled a cement mixer and pinned the kid. It ain't over til it's over.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Drew-
My understanding of Lee is that he is going to push the pace hard.

Frenetic pace.

Kizhan will be forced to show his hand. He does have excellent skill. That results in a takedowns. He has great workout partners and coaching. I can see him taking down Lee twice. Just a hunch.

He wrestles a slow deliberate pace with explosive action every once in awhile.

I think his lack of attacks will be penalized with stalling.

Most likely there will be an inability to dictate pace with a wrestler like Lee.

He could pull a Marianetti. He's strong AF, analytical and patient. If he can ride and erase time off the clock, that 7 minutes can wind down.

Sometimes I give PSU too much credit because they have this whole air of invincibility thing going. Iowa had it in the eighties. You just need someone with a strong belief in themselves to step up punch a hole in it.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Check out this AWFUL call on a pin. https://twitter.com/vincedietz/status/1505042526511771649?s=21

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Check out this AWFUL call on a pin. https://twitter.com/vincedietz/status/1505042526511771649?s=21"

Must be thinking they are wrestling freestyle!

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Some of those officiating calls were atrocious. The good thing is that the NCAA can invite other referees for next years tournament and demote those with serious issues. Hopefully, none will be calling the finals tonight.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

The Buckeyes finished outside of the top ten for the first time since 2011, and failed to have a top 4 finisher for the first time since 2006 when they fired Hellickson. I don't think tOSU is planning on firing Ryan just yet, but he's had 16 years as head coach and might be tired of the old grind. Sometimes, a new location can reinvigorate someone. There are at least ten coaches who would jump at the chance to come to Columbus.

I hope things get better next year. They've got some great talent coming in, but they will have to contribute right away instead of redshirting. If they don't perform better, Ryan has had and excellent run. It's very rare that someone can retire at the top in sports, they usually fade away and get fired.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

I do not think Tom Ryan is going anywhere any time soon. That is, by an outside force. If HE decides he wants to do something else, then fine, it I seriously doubt the AD is calling TR to his office.

As for the incoming talent - I see RSing the group, hitting opens, getting grounded in the college life, and then, in 2023-2024, the Buckeyes making a run at multiple (high) AAs and national champs.

JMO.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Some people wonder why the Big Ten conference gets so many bids, just watch these finals. Penn State is unbelievable. Big Ten had at least one finalist in 9 of ten finals matches.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I know it won't happen, but I wish OSU could hire Russ Hellickson to work with Hoffman. Russ was great with the big guys, and Hoffman is oh so close to winning a lot of those close matches. He definitely has the Most Improved award at the sports banquet this year."

Please explain.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

"I don’t think officiating had a big impact on any OSU matches. I might think otherwise after I rewatch Kharchla’s near score against O’Toole."

Drew -- did you get a chance to rewatch this match?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10