Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Colt Sponseller lost?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

That's funny on the surface but I have to stick up for Picazo.

First, I watched him beat Chris Estep--a D1 wrestler.

Secondly, he was forced to start as a true frosh when he was woefully unprepared. He took some beatings but kept working and had reached a point, two years ago, when he had developed into a credible starter. Then, Tom Ryan took over and Mike Pucillo decided to transfer from Hofstra. So, instead of having the chance to wrestle at his ideal weight as a senior and enjoy significant success, he's had to make a huge sacrifice and wrestle 10 pounds below where he ought to be. A lesser kid would have quit.

He's taking a huge hit for the good of the team as far as I can tell.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Doug Noel added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Somebody better tell D1CW cause they have Colt with a loss. Maybe I should drive there myself and straighten this out!!! haha

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

I cannot believe that this thread has lasted this long. Anybody who knows anything about tOSU line up knows that Picazo will NEVER see or compete at 165 in a DI line-up. It would take a turn of health for him to get that low. And, again, if he did, there is NO WAY he would compete for the Buckeyes if that were the case.

Come on people...get a clue! <banghead>

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Quote from Brian Miller's post:

"... asking me to believe that Picazo actually won a match against a Division I wrestler"

That's harsh. He isn't tearing it up on the mat but he's a solid starter. As a fifth-year senior who started for all four years, he made a hard drop in weight for the team. He deserves a lot of credit, IMO. He's a gamer. Hopefully everything comes together for him toward the end of the year and he qualifies for nationals.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I cannot believe that this thread has lasted this long."

Bingo.

Last edited by Dan Cosimi on January 15, 2008; edited 1 time in total

Ben Roerig added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Picazo has beaten the likes of All-Americans Mike Tamillow and Tyrel Todd while at 184, so obviously other factors are at play, and the weight cut is the first one that comes to mind. Simply put, the guy is huge, and is a team player. I remember just last year when people were wondering if Pucillo could even beat Picazo in a wrestle-off.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Dan and Mike,

Of course people that follow the Buckeyes have a "clue". However, you can talk weight-cutting until you are blue in the face, and it won't convince non-Ohioans. There is disinformation out there courtesy of two college websites, one complete with photography. That's what casual fans are seeing. It would be nice to have something "else" as evidence.

Hank,
Pat G was at Mayfield Saturday. Can't blame him for this snafu (this time).

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

The worst part is one of those misinformed websites is Ohio State! Yikes. Actually it's kind of funny. The thought that could happen is like Pucillo & Bergman trading places <smiling> . Another brief misprint happened on the InterMat where they referred to the Iowa winners as "the Cyclones", ouch <rolleyes> They quickly revised it to say the Hawkeyes. GO BUCS!

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

I think the point of thread is to say Colt went 5-0 and remains undefeated along with Pucillo. The puzzle is that even after two emails to sports information the correction on the Ohio State web site is not made and for sure the staff follows this web site. So what is up. That is why the thread continues - has not a thing to do with Alex. It has as the title says everything to do that our grand freshman remains undefeated. I hope they do not wrestle him until his ankle injury is ready for battle as we need now is the beginning of the seeding game.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

I thought Pucillo lost in the Vegas finals to Todd (tSUN)? Overtime pin, right?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

Cliff, I agree that they should not put Colt out there on a bad ankle, even against Iowa. We know what we have in Colt, let's not ruin him for the end of the season. I'm anxious to hear what the staff has to say about it on their TV show tomorrow. <sign_oh> <sign_io>

I just got email from sports information saying Colt is indeed 10-0. They did not say they would update their web site.

Finals - 184: Tyrel Todd (Michigan) pin Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) 7:22 OT
Semifinals - 184: Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) dec. Raymond Jordan (Missouri) 7-2
Quarterfinals - 184: Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) dec. Doug Umbehauer (Rider) 7-4
Round of 16 - 184: Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) tf. Kyle Bressler (Oregon State) 18-2
Round of 32 - 184: Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) pin Casey Caldwell (Navy) 2:01

Yes, Pucillo lost as you said in Vegas. The OSU website was talking about undefeated at National Duals (5-0).

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

Ahh...at the National Duals. Well played, sir.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2