Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Casey Finnicum commits to Ohio State
Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on January 23, 2008

Hank thanks for the correction. I updated Enright's 3rd place at H.S. Senior Nationals.

I do not think J.D. went to the H.S. Nationals. If so pass on your reference and I will update and send email to have Ohio State update their profile. But we did not film him - at least he is not in my database as such - and I do not believe we have missed any in recent years.

Myself when looking at potential great college wrestlers I do not use freestyle records as it is a different sport with much different methods to use in such an evaluation as college wrestler. Yes many are grand in both and for those the added freestyle does add any data to the analysis since they show up in H.S. analysis. On the other hand, many are great H.S. freestylers but their habits and physique and skill set do not match the requirements for college wrestling. When you use this set of high performers you can go wrong with your analysis.

Now I know the darts will be thrown at me just as in a discussion between wrestling being a team vs individual sport or cutting weight or not cutting weight or Big Ten Championship determined as in all other sports via dual record vs the individual tournament format of Big Ten tournament. But no, Fargo is not used in my observations of potential college wrestler.

But does this not get away from my point of posting this data on this thread.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 23, 2008

Mr Cahill posts, "Myself when looking at potential great college wrestlers I do not use freestyle records as it is a different sport with much different methods to use in such an evaluation as college wrestler. -- -- -- On the other hand, many are great H.S. freestylers but their habits and physique and skill set do not match the requirements for college wrestling."
-----------------------------------------------------------

oh contrare-- imo, FREESTYLE competition at the National level means alot--- theres a reason many of the top college coaches are at Junior Duals in Oklahoma and in Fargo. And in fact ALL the colleges have scouts in Fargo every July.

You see a kid wrestle vs National comp , you see his toughness, his poise, his build, his athetic ability, his desire to compete & win, u see alot up close & personal in Fargo. --- and you see many of the kids who are most committed to the sport. I've watched John Smith personally recruit his lineup that won NCAA team titles right on the floor of the FargoDome-- Coleman Scott, Nathan Morgan, Johny Hendricks, Jake Rosholt, on & on. ( I KNOW Rex Holman agrees with me on this point of view.)

and the new Freestyle rules where the leg lace and gut wrench don't dominate--- where leg attack & defense on your feet do count the most-- freestyle counts alot when viewed on the national level. Every single kid who makes All-American (top 8) in Junior freestyle in Fargo--- if he is planning to wrestle in college and has the academics--- every one of those kids is getting scholarship money and has offers from at least a handful of colleges. --kids who don't PLACE but show well in Fargo get $$ offers

re Ohio St recruiting for 174 Mr Nicola asks "Anyone in particular Bob? How about a hint." ---- buckeyes are still in on a couple, both very good, both available believe it or not, one in state and one out.

as Hank said, J.D. Bergman did take 2nd to Roger Kish at 189 lb at NHSCA Sr Nationals in Cleveland.

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on January 23, 2008

http://www.NHSCA.com/documents/allamerican.pdf

Yes indeed my man J.D. was 2nd at Senior Nationals. I edited my post to make the second correction. And oh boy. I discovered that Matside web site does not have any 03 events posted.

I doubled checked and OSU web site profile is missing the 2nd place at Senior Nationals. I wonder how that happened. I will send email to the sports information department suggest they revise their presentation of history to include this great feat amoung all the others listed in his profile.

tks Hank and Bob

but you do get the point of getting excited with recruits that fit the pedigree of the current OSU class

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 23, 2008

Mr Cahill,
i don't have a complete history of Ohio kids placing at Jr nationals Fargo, BUT i think J.D. Bergman might be the only Ohio kid to make the finals 2 years in a row in both freestyle & Greco Roman in JUNIOR nationals .

Yes i think so, i know Tommy Rowlands was close but didnt . Now David Taylor has competed only one year in Juniors and won both styles after being in the Cadet finals both styles the previous 2 years. Dustin Schlatter competed only one year in Juniors winning both styles, then was hurt the next Summer and did not go to fargo following his senior year. ------ J.D. might be the only one, so far ????

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 23, 2008

Bob,
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who the in-state 174 prospect is. I'm pretty sure Roddy, Thomusseit, Kline, and Wilson have signed and Chris Phillips is 15. What weight class does this wrestle currently wrestle?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on January 23, 2008

There are always other tough kids.

I look at a guy like Derrick Yant (Delta), who Thomusseit needed overtime to beat, and I see he's made incredible strides of improvement. J.D. Smyers (Creston Norwayne) is excellent and I wonder how he'll match up with Yant. Still, realize that some commitments that have already been made are only verbal ones.

Ohio State's recruiting in the class of 2008 is far from finished.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2