Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Jordan Ernest Burroughs "The GOAT"
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 30, 2019

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"...What will it take to reinstate wrestling back to the ten weights?"

Figure that out and the wrestling community will crown you king.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 30, 2019

"They are certainly the most successful right now, but how much of that success is tied to them competing in substantially weaker non Olympic weights."

This is poo-poo'd by many but absolutely true. Cox went bronze, bronze (still freakin' great) then moved to non-Olympic weight and has been uber dominate.

Dake didn't win every foreign tournament he entered in at 74kg but has been, like J'den, uber dominate at 79kg.

We all know they have the ability to do the same at other weights, but until they actually do it, it's all white board war talk.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 30, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"This is poo-poo'd by many but absolutely true. Cox went bronze, bronze (still freakin' great) then moved to non-Olympic weight and has been uber dominate.

Dake didn't win every foreign tournament he entered in at 74kg but has been, like J'den, uber dominate at 79kg.

We all know they have the ability to do the same at other weights, but until they actually do it, it's all white board war talk."

That is all.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on September 30, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"They are certainly the most successful right now, but how much of that success is tied to them competing in substantially weaker non Olympic weights."

This is poo-poo'd by many but absolutely true. Cox went bronze, bronze (still freakin' great) then moved to non-Olympic weight and has been uber dominate.

We all know they have the ability to do the same at other weights, but until they actually do it, it's all white board war talk."

Agreed,

If my counting is correct, the World Championships had the following number of entries:

74: 39
79: 23
86: 43
92: 18
97: 26

I still think Dake and Cox are medal/title threats at any weight, but the non-Olympic weights sure cleared out this year, undoubtedly making the road to a title easier. I think the only reason 97 only had 26 was because 92 is so close to it, relatively.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 14, 2021

The fact that Burroughs lost 4-4 on criteria last night to a multiple time world champ up 2 weight classes only adds to his greatness. Does anyone think John could have bumped up and hung with Kenny Monday or Dave Schultz? His willingness to put it on the line illustrates what a great champion he is (as if there was a doubt).

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 14, 2021

I thought Taylor would attack more but the only TD came off Jordan's foot slipping when he went to take a shot.

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"I thought Taylor would attack more but the only TD came off Jordan's foot slipping when he went to take a shot."

Taylor did have an early takedown off of his own shot. On the second takedown it initially looked like JB may have pulled something (groin?) and stopped wrestling momentarily allowing D.T. to score the go behind. Lots of people saying on the themat.com that Taylor didn't attack enough but it looked to me like he got tired in the 3rd period and JB had more left in the tank. In addition JB's reshot/counter offense is deadly so D.T. attacking may not have had the desired outcome.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 14, 2021

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"

"I thought Taylor would attack more but the only TD came off Jordan's foot slipping when he went to take a shot."

Taylor did have an early takedown off of his own shot. On the second takedown it initially looked like JB may have pulled something (groin?) and stopped wrestling momentarily allowing D.T. to score the go behind. Lots of people saying on the themat.com that Taylor didn't attack enough but it looked to me like he got tired in the 3rd period and JB had more left in the tank. In addition JB's reshot/counter offense is deadly so D.T. attacking may not have had the desired outcome."

I think he scored a push-out on his first shot and scored the TD when JB slipped.

"

"

Taylor did have an early takedown off of his own shot. On the second takedown it initially looked like JB may have pulled something (groin?) and stopped wrestling momentarily allowing D.T. to score the go behind. Lots of people saying on the themat.com that Taylor didn't attack enough but it looked to me like he got tired in the 3rd period and JB had more left in the tank. In addition JB's reshot/counter offense is deadly so D.T. attacking may not have had the desired outcome."

Your right. Taylor finished the shot out of bounds and was awarded a pushout. The other point came on a the passivity/shot clock. My mistake.

I think he scored a push-out on his first shot and scored the TD when JB slipped."

Last edited by Scott Nicola on January 15, 2021; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 15, 2021

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

"John Smith is my hero and his six consecutive World/Olympic Titles in a row remain an incredible accomplishment that may never be repeated by a US wrestler. That said, greatness is measured in many ways, and I believe JB has overtaken John and Big Bruce for for several reasons."

u make great points and may well be right, but i gota go with John Smith ...6 in a row-- consecutive. Its like Dimaggio's famed 56 game hiting streak, which has never been approached. The word consecutive means a lot.

A couple Russians have won 7 or 8, Fadsayev and Buvasar Saitev (sp?) however i don't think anyone other than Smith has won 6 consecutive."

Since this thread resurfaced I did a little research. If Wikipedia is correct, Aleksandr Medved won gold from '66-'72, plus gold in '62-'64, silver in '65, and bronze in '61. He was the only one I could find with more consecutive golds.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 4, 2021

Bump

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 5, 2021

"Bump"

I've said it for at least five years - what we are witnessing right now from JB is something truly special. I hope we are all paying attention. The man oozes class on and off the mat. He has been the torch-bearer for our MFS team for more than a decade. ...and he welcomes that responsibility. He cherishes it. I honestly believe he is one of the main reasons for our team's success. If no one steps into that role when he leaves, our team will suffer.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 5, 2021

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

"Bump"

I've said it for at least five years - what we are witnessing right now from JB is something truly special. I hope we are all paying attention. The man oozes class on and off the mat. He has been the torch-bearer for our MFS team for more than a decade. ...and he welcomes that responsibility. He cherishes it. I honestly believe he is one of the main reasons for our team's success. If no one steps into that role when he leaves, our team will suffer."

Amen.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on October 5, 2021

I think Jordan Burroughs' longevity and ability to adapt his wrestling is what makes him the GOAT.

I thought Kyle Snyder was going to become the GOAT when he won his first three championships. Unfortunately, Kyle peaked physically when he was 22. Kind of like the rest of us. I peaked at 21 myself.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 6, 2021

It's not so much that Snyder peaked as he was figured out. He's still fantastic. But Sadulaev is better.

Burroughs and Smith are the Goats. And Bruce Baumgartner is in the conversation because he did it at an incredibly high level for 13-14 years.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next