Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Micic graduated HS in 2014
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 27, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZjviMmXIY8

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 31, 2021

If my math is right Myles Amine just turned 25.

Graduated HS in 2015. Could be wrestling kids this season (will be, actually) who graduated 6 years after him.

Sorry, Michael. I know they're not breaking rules. This just seems so silly to me and against the spirit of collegiate athletics.

Just like I don't think 21-year-olds should be participating in HS sports.

I know UM isn't a sole offender, but between Amine, Micic, and Suriano it's getting silly.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 31, 2021

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"If my math is right Myles Amine just turned 25.

Graduated HS in 2015. Could be wrestling kids this season (will be, actually) who graduated 6 years after him.

Sorry, Michael. I know they're not breaking rules. This just seems so silly to me and against the spirit of collegiate athletics.

Just like I don't think 21-year-olds should be participating in HS sports.

I know UM isn't a sole offender, but between Amine, Micic, and Suriano it's getting silly."

How old is Massa? He is coming back to.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on December 31, 2021

To me this is the law of unintended consequences. We make decisions to help a certain group of folk and fail to fully understand how this affects things in the future. We give kids a chance to redshirt when they enter college. The reasoning seems to be wrestling at this level is a brutal sport and we wish to give kids a chance to mature (although this also keeps smaller schools at a disadvantage, can't offer starting immediately over sitting a year of eligibility at the larger institution). Since wrestling is a brutal sport at this level we have decided to give kids who get injured early in the season a redshirt as not to penalize them a year of eligibility.

So now you have 6 years to wrestle 4. Then many of us thought what a great idea to give kids who qualify, a redshirt for the olympics. So now is 7 to wrestle 4. Then the pandemic. The worst thought out of the lot imo. Let's give the kids an extra year as to not penalize them for something out of their control.

If we truly wish to follow the spirit of college athletics we need to take look at the necessity of redshirts. Do we really need to give incoming freshmen a redshirt year if they don't make first team? Injuries and pandemics happen it's life. if you want to give some kids 5 years to wrestle 4 maybe olympic redshirts make the most sense.The best kids get an extra year to follow their dreams and then back to normal.

On the other hand maybe we need to be more realistic and admit that NCAA wrestling is really the pros of folk style wrestling. We want to see the best wrestle and if they stay within the rules give them 8 to wrestle 4. If you want to be the best in the world in this style of wrestling this is the end of the line.

Oh and as to getting a job if these kids are staying at college for 7 or 8 years this is a job. My guess is they are putting in a least 40 hours a week training and studying or performing their graduate duties. And many wrestlers have had a family while pursuing their wrestling careers

Just some food for thought. happy new year to all.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 31, 2021

I remember Nato beating (11-2) Micic for the MSU Open title in Nov. 2014, that was seven years ago. I think they were RS freshmen? I was at matside and Nate just overwhelmed him!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 1, 2022

Give them 5 years to wrestle, and they can wrestle in the regular season all 5 years, but can only wrestle in 4 conference or NCAA tournaments.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 1, 2022

Give them 5 years to wrestle, and they can wrestle in the regular season all 5 years, but can only wrestle in 4 conference or NCAA tournaments.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2