Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Jesse Mendez to Ohio State
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

In the words of Peter Parker, "With great power comes great responsibility". In other words, you better win big with this class.

Peter Parker is Spiderman in case the reference is lost on anybody.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

I like that he said "They're building something special and they're building a dynasty," and he wants to be part of it.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"...

Peter Parker is Spiderman in case the reference is lost on anybody."

When I read the comment I immediately thought, "Thankfully many on this board know who this is."

#WeOld

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

looks great, hope u right but a note of caution, several years ago ohio st landed back to back ranked # 1 and 2 classes.

These guys have yet to AA yet-- or get to round of 12: Heinsellman, Decatur, D'Emilio, Rocky Jordan, Hoffman, Romero, Singletary, (cant remember names my old age, lol) the NJ 149 who left and the Minnesota 285 who had a cup of coffee in Columbus before matriculating to Penn st. --who have i left out?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"looks great, hope u right but a note of caution, several years ago ohio st landed back to back ranked # 1 and 2 classes.

These guys have yet to AA yet-- or get to round of 12: Heinsellman, Decatur, D'Emilio, Rocky Jordan, Hoffman, Romero, Singletary, (cant remember names my old age, lol) the NJ 149 who left and the Minnesota 285 who had a cup of coffee in Columbus before matriculating to Penn st. --who have i left out?"

How many of those guys were top 10 recruits? Decatur was but outside of him who else? Maybe Singletary. Those years I think it was more about quantity over quality. Not saying those guys are good but look at PSU. They don’t sign a ton of kids but sign 2-3 top 10 recruits each class.

Time will tell.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"looks great, hope u right but a note of caution, several years ago ohio st landed back to back ranked # 1 and 2 classes.

These guys have yet to AA yet-- or get to round of 12: Heinsellman, Decatur, D'Emilio, Rocky Jordan, Hoffman, Romero, Singletary, (cant remember names my old age, lol) the NJ 149 who left and the Minnesota 285 who had a cup of coffee in Columbus before matriculating to Penn st. --who have i left out?"

The good thing about being a fan is that you don't need to be cautious about anything.

The class of 2018 and class of 2019 (which were #1 and #2, respectively) had some retention issues. Kerklviet obviously jumped ship at the first instance of adversity. Kinner and Mattox had great potential, but didn't work out for non-wrestling reasons.

They don't need to hit on all 4 guys to create a contender--2 or 3 would do. And by hit, I mean have them become meaningful NCAA point scorers.

Of course, there's a chance that doesn't happen. But why bother thinking about that?

Kinner gives an interview where he discusses leaving Ohio State. He mentions a financial component due to Covid and has nothing but good things to say about the program. Easy kid to root for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXHkhOzq8A

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

Thanks for the link to the video. I had hoped to see Kinner back here this season. Felt he could have been a good fit at 157 allowing Paddy to redshirt. Was definitely a “team” guy for us two years ago. Your right, easy to root for. Will be following him over the next few years.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

Quinn is wrestling 141 at Rider this year. He is second team All-Mac preseason.

https://gobroncs.com/news/2021/10/18/wrestling-correnti-kinner-named-to-InterMat-preseason-all-mac-second-team.aspx

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Kinner gives an interview where he discusses leaving Ohio State. He mentions a financial component due to Covid and has nothing but good things to say about the program. Easy kid to root for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXHkhOzq8A"

Does he say "money situation" or "muddy situation?"

"Does he say "money situation" or "muddy situation?"

I thought I heard money but you could be right.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

Bob is right. A highly ranked class can be a total bust. Those classes so far has been extremely disappointing. But here's hoping that fortunes change and our guys can develop and not get constantly injured!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Quinn is wrestling 141 at Rider this year. He is second team All-Mac preseason.

https://gobroncs.com/news/2021/10/18/wrestling-correnti-kinner-named-to-InterMat-preseason-all-mac-second-team.aspx"

Classy way to go out.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

i am amazed to see ohio st succesfully recruiting the top 3 overall plus Shumate-- and Rocco Welsh for 2023-

in fact im elated and kudos to ohio st staff, MUCHO KUDOS! Its been fun to follow for about 15 years, im grateful. Penn st would have taken any of these kids with open arms.

Ryan' DECISION to spend quality time at the Young Guns club in western PA is paying off - PA is always rich (And Ohio not so much lately).

(but if u lived in Cleveland and were a Browns fan youd understand an occassional skeptical tone.... a quarter century of futility and exasperation will wear even a good man down, haha.)

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

New article on Flo

Buckeyes Hoping Bottom Work Gets Them Back Closer To The Top
After a down season by Ohio State standards, Tom Ryan and the Buckeyes heightened their focus on the bottom position during the offseason.

Projects Koontz at 133 and Hubbard at 157

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next