Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Intercollegiate Open - 11/14/21
Luke Moore added to this discussion on November 14, 2021

OU is having a solid day. Not a lot of great wins, but they are winning, and getting a lot of bonus. Currently in the finals at 133, 141, 149. Wrestling for 3rd at 125 and 157.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Luke Moore added to this discussion on November 14, 2021

There is nothing more annoying than seeing these guys default out of a tournament once they are in the consolation bracket!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 14, 2021

I agree Luke; however, with the way NCAA seeding is set up they have a very specific set of criteria they lay out how and where guys get seeded. How many years have we seen Missouri guys roll up with inflated records and earn an over seed? The Big Ten is what it is, but if you can pad stats to give yourself a leg up on the lower tier conferences it puts a guy in a better position to AA. Sucks for viewership, and it flys in the face of some of the core values of the sport, but dems the rules. Quite frankly, that’s the only reason this tournament is on the schedule. It’s not for the competition…
Glad to see Wilcox and Hoeppner get a shot to earn some starts. I think the Bucks 157 comes out of one of these two in conjunction with Hubbard. I don’t think you pull Paddy this year. He probably is the best 157 on the roster, but the make up of the team is not one that puts tOSU in trophy contention, unless some guys wrestle way over their heads.
Gotta like what you see with Gonzales. The kid is technically sound, just needs some size. I think you redshirt him for the same reason you hold back on Paddy. Build for the future.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 14, 2021

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"There is nothing more annoying than seeing these guys default out of a tournament once they are in the consolation bracket!"

100% agree.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 14, 2021

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I agree Luke; however, with the way NCAA seeding is set up they have a very specific set of criteria they lay out how and where guys get seeded. How many years have we seen Missouri guys roll up with inflated records and earn an over seed? The Big Ten is what it is, but if you can pad stats to give yourself a leg up on the lower tier conferences it puts a guy in a better position to AA. Sucks for viewership, and it flys in the face of some of the core values of the sport, but dems the rules. Quite frankly, that’s the only reason this tournament is on the schedule. It’s not for the competition…
Glad to see Wilcox and Hoeppner get a shot to earn some starts. I think the Bucks 157 comes out of one of these two in conjunction with Hubbard. I don’t think you pull Paddy this year. He probably is the best 157 on the roster, but the make up of the team is not one that puts tOSU in trophy contention, unless some guys wrestle way over their heads.
Gotta like what you see with Gonzales. The kid is technically sound, just needs some size. I think you redshirt him for the same reason you hold back on Paddy. Build for the future."

I was hoping Hubbard was going to wrestle after that impressive first period vs #1 O'Conner last week. I'll be interested in who will start against VT. at 157.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 14, 2021

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"There is nothing more annoying than seeing these guys default out of a tournament once they are in the consolation bracket!"

100% agree."

I agree too. To Jared's point about going to this opens to "pad" records and improve seeding criteria, wouldn't that be all the more reason to wrestle on the consolation side, because if a tOSU loses on the front side he will probably rack up wins on the back side?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 14, 2021

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"

I was hoping Hubbard was going to wrestle after that impressive first period vs #1 O'Conner last week. I'll be interested in who will start against VT. at 157. "

Good Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, I’ll be there!

Added bonus = staying the night and catching the Gardner-Webb v. VT dual at 1p on Saturday.

Double-added bonus = I get to connect with a couple of Twitter personalities while there. #Legit

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 15, 2021

OU results below. General thoughts from my perspective:

- Overall pretty good. Didn't see a bunch of great wins, but the competition was limited. In the GOLD finals at 33, 41, 49, 65, 84. Those who didn't make the finals I believe finished 3rd.

- I think this could be a very good freshmen class. Perrine looks to me like a stud, won the MS Open (FR/SO), places 3rd here. I believe the WVU wrestler he beat is their starter. Lehman placed 1st at 184 in the Gold Division, although he didn't beat anyone of consequence. He also won the MSU Open (FR/SO). I also like Thompson and Kellar at 57.

- Nice to see GIO win the weight at 33, but I do think he'll be behind Guillen.

- Slivka has turned in two solid weekends at 57. His loss to Hepner wasn't great, but maybe Hepner is really good?

- Good to see Yinger wrestle Kharchla tough. Per Twitter it was a late TD to win that match.

- Brewer is set to be back soon, I think he'll be the full time 97 when healthy.

- As I stated previous, they need one of the 25s to be solid. I think Sanchez is the starter. I like him.

- The Hagans are super steady. Good to have them both in the line up.

Gold Division 125
Tommy Hoskins's place is 4th and has scored 10.5 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Tommy Hoskins (Unattached Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Quarterfinal - Tommy Hoskins (Unattached Ohio University) won by tech fall over Kade Orr (Unattached) (TF 15-0)
Semifinal - Brady Koontz (Ohio State) won by decision over Tommy Hoskins (Unattached Ohio University) (Dec 3-1)
3rd Place Match - Branden Mendoza (Tiffin) won by decision over Tommy Hoskins (Unattached Ohio University) (Dec 6-4)

Gold Division 125
Oscar Sanchez's place is 5th and has scored 11.5 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Malik Heinselman (Ohio State) won by decision over Oscar Sanchez (Ohio University) (Dec 5-3)
Cons. Round 1 - Oscar Sanchez (Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Cons. Round 2 - Oscar Sanchez (Ohio University) won by major decision over Christopher Merlo (Edinboro unattached) (Maj 11-3)
Cons. Semi - Oscar Sanchez (Ohio University) won by major decision over Kade Orr (Unattached) (Maj 8-0)
5th Place Match - Oscar Sanchez (Ohio University) won by medical forfeit over Cole Laya (MFF) (West Liberty) (MFF)

Gold Division 133
Gio Disabato's place is 1st and has scored 16.5 team points.

Quarterfinal - Gio Disabato (Ohio University) won by major decision over Phillip Kue (Ohio State) (Maj 11-0)
Semifinal - Gio Disabato (Ohio University) won by tech fall over Dylan Burnoski (Notre Dame (Ohio)) (TF 22-7)
1st Place Match - Gio Disabato (Ohio University) won by
decision over Dylan Koontz (Ohio State) (Dec 3-1)

Gold Division 141
Kyran Hagan's place is 2nd and has scored 12.0 team points.

Quarterfinal - Kyran Hagan (Ohio University) won by decision over Matthew Zuckerman (Tiffin) (Dec 9-2)
Semifinal - Kyran Hagan (Ohio University) won by decision over Jackie Gold (Edinboro University) (Dec 3-0)
1st Place Match - Dylan D`Emilio (Ohio State) won by decision over Kyran Hagan (Ohio University) (Dec 5-2)

Gold Division 149
Alec Hagan's place is 2nd and has scored 13.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Alec Hagan (Ohio University) won in sudden victory - 1 over Klay Reeves (Ohio State) (SV-1 6-4)
Quarterfinal - Alec Hagan (Ohio University) won by decision over Joeseph Sanchez (Unattached) (Dec 7-0)
Semifinal - Alec Hagan (Ohio University) won by decision over Brayden Roberts (West Virginia University) (Dec 3-1)
1st Place Match - Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) won by major decision over Alec Hagan (Ohio University) (Maj 12-3)

Gold Division 157
Jordan Slivka10's place is 3rd and has scored 14.5 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Jordan Slivka10 (Ohio University) won by tech fall over Alec Cook (West Liberty) (TF 17-2)
Quarterfinal - Jordan Slivka10 (Ohio University) won by fall over Gavin Quiocho (Glenville State College) (Fall 5:00)
Semifinal - Bryce Hepner (Ohio State/Unattached) won by decision over Jordan Slivka10 (Ohio University) (Dec 9-4)
3rd Place Match - Jordan Slivka10 (Ohio University) won by decision over Kevon Freeman (Ohio State) (Dec 9-2)

Gold Division 157
Coltin Jezioro's place is unknown and has scored 0.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Kevon Freeman (Ohio State) won by tech fall over Coltin Jezioro (Ohio University) (TF 18-0)
Cons. Round 1 - Dylan Mansor (Tiffin) won by decision over Coltin Jezioro (Ohio University) (Dec 4-1)
Gold Division 165
Colt Yinger's place is 2nd and has scored 19.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Colt Yinger (Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2 - Colt Yinger (Ohio University) won by fall over Isiah Levitz (Indiana University) (Fall 1:09)
Quarterfinal - Colt Yinger (Ohio University) won by major decision over Hunter Jones (Glenville State College) (Maj 17-4)
Semifinal - Colt Yinger (Ohio University) won by decision over Drew Wiechers (Ashland) (Dec 7-4)
1st Place Match - Carson Kharchla (Ohio State) won by decision over Colt Yinger (Ohio University) (Dec 3-1)
Gold Division 165
Kamal Adewumi's place is unknown and has scored 1.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Kamal Adewumi (Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Champ. Round 2 - Carson Kharchla (Ohio State) won by tech fall over Kamal Adewumi (Ohio University) (TF 18-3)
Cons. Round 2 - Kamal Adewumi (Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Cons. Round 3 - Kamal Adewumi (Ohio University) won by decision over Chase Morgan (West Liberty) (Dec 12-5)
Cons. Round 4 - Austin Lamb (RIT) won by decision over Kamal Adewumi (Ohio University) (Dec 7-0)

Gold Division 174
Sal Perrine's place is 3rd and has scored 12.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Sal Perrine (Unattached Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Quarterfinal - Sal Perrine (Unattached Ohio University) won by decision over Scott Joll (West Virginia University) (Dec 6-5)
Semifinal - Ethan Smith (Ohio State) won by decision over Sal Perrine (Unattached Ohio University) (Dec 13-6)
3rd Place Match - Sal Perrine (Unattached Ohio University) won by major decision over Thomas Schmitt (Notre Dame (Ohio)) (Maj 11-3)

Gold Division 174
Logan Stanley's place is unknown and has scored 3.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Ethan Smith (Ohio State) won by major decision over Logan Stanley (Ohio University) (Maj 19-7)
Cons. Round 1 - Logan Stanley (Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Cons. Round 2 - Logan Stanley (Ohio University) won by fall over Nicolas Smythe (Tiffin) (Fall 0:58)
Cons. Semi - Fritz Schierl (Ohio State) won by decision over Logan Stanley (Ohio University) (Dec 6-3)

Gold Division 184
Zayne Lehman's place is 1st and has scored 17.5 team points.

Quarterfinal - Zayne Lehman (Ohio University) won by tech fall over Adam Medeiros (Heidelberg) (TF 16-0)
Semifinal - Zayne Lehman (Ohio University) won by major decision over Luke McGonigal (Mercyhurst) (Maj 10-2)
1st Place Match - Zayne Lehman (Ohio University) won by major decision over Cole Houser (Glenville State College) (Maj 11-2)

Gold Division 197
Jordan Greer's place is 3rd and has scored 15.0 team points.

Quarterfinal - Gavin Hoffman (Ohio State) won by tech fall over Jordan Greer (Ohio University) (TF 16-1)
Cons. Round 1 - Jordan Greer (Ohio University) won by forfeit over Wends Myrtil (Notre Dame (Ohio)) (FF)
Cons. Semi - Jordan Greer (Ohio University) won by medical forfeit over Logan Kemp (West Liberty) (MFF)
3rd Place Match - Jordan Greer (Ohio University) won by major decision over Tyler Stein (Ohio State) (Maj 8-0)

Gold Division 285
Jordan earnest's place is 3rd and has scored 11.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Jordan earnest (Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Quarterfinal - Jordan earnest (Ohio University) won by decision over Ty Petrey (Ashland) (Dec 2-0)
Semifinal - Tate Orndorff (Ohio State) won by decision over Jordan earnest (Ohio University) (Dec 8-1)
3rd Place Match - Jordan earnest (Ohio University) won by decision over Mike Viramontes (Notre Dame (Ohio)) (Dec 7-0)

White Division 125
Dierre Clayton's place is 5th and has scored 10.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Dierre Clayton (Unattached Ohio University) won by decision over Logan Patterson (RIT) (Dec 9-7)
Quarterfinal - Jace Schafer (Unattached) won by major decision over Dierre Clayton (Unattached Ohio University) (Maj 9-1)
Cons. Round 2 - Dierre Clayton (Unattached Ohio University) won by decision over Caden Crawford (Unattached Tiffin) (Dec 1-0)
Cons. Semi - Dierre Clayton (Unattached Ohio University) won by fall over Robert Horan (RIT) (Fall 5:37)
5th Place Match - Dierre Clayton (Unattached Ohio University) won by decision over Logan Patterson (RIT) (Dec 5-3)

White Division 141
Aidan Waszak's place is unknown and has scored 0.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Matthew Grant (RIT) won by injury default over Aidan Waszak (Unattached Ohio University) (Inj. 0:25)
Cons. Round 1 - Austin Fietz (unattached lake erie) won by medical forfeit over Aidan Waszak (Unattached Ohio University) (MFF)

White Division 157
Liam Harris's place is unknown and has scored 1.5 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Max Stedeford (Mercyhurst) won by major decision over Liam Harris (Unattached Ohio University) (Maj 10-0)
Cons. Round 1 - Liam Harris (Unattached Ohio University) won by major decision over Jake Justice (Heidelberg) (Maj 13-3)
Cons. Round 2 - Melvin Patterson (Notre Dame (Ohio)) won by fall over Liam Harris (Unattached Ohio University) (Fall 6:49)

White Division 157
Garrett Thompson's place is 3rd and has scored 13.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Garrett Thompson (Unattached Ohio University) received a bye () (Bye)
Quarterfinal - Garrett Thompson (Unattached Ohio University) won by major decision over Tyler Swiderski (unattached lake erie) (Maj 14-0)
Semifinal - Paddy Gallagher (Ohio State/Unattached) won by major decision over Garrett Thompson (Unattached Ohio University) (Maj 12-4)
3rd Place Match - Garrett Thompson (Unattached Ohio University) won by major decision over Matt Leehan (Mercyhurst) (Maj 10-0)

White Division 157
Peyten Kellar's place is 2nd and has scored 19.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Peyten Kellar (Unattached Ohio University) won by fall over Micah Mydloski (Heidelberg) (Fall 2:09)
Quarterfinal - Peyten Kellar (Unattached Ohio University) won by fall over Melvin Patterson (Notre Dame (Ohio)) (Fall 4:53)
Semifinal - Peyten Kellar (Unattached Ohio University) won by fall over Matt Leehan (Mercyhurst) (Fall 4:05)
1st Place Match - Paddy Gallagher (Ohio State/Unattached) won by decision over Peyten Kellar (Unattached Ohio University) (Dec 7-5)

White Division 165
Robert Gaylord's place is 3rd and has scored 12.0 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Robert Gaylord (Unattached Ohio University) won by decision over Zac Samson (West Liberty) (Dec 5-0)
Quarterfinal - Robert Gaylord (Unattached Ohio University) won by major decision over Brady Salmons (Heidelberg) (Maj 10-1)
Semifinal - James Ost (RIT) won by major decision over Robert Gaylord (Unattached Ohio University) (Maj 11-0)
3rd Place Match - Robert Gaylord (Unattached Ohio University) won by decision over Ian Houck (RIT) (Dec 7-4)

White Division 285
drew Harris's place is unknown and has scored 0.5 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Tristan Kemp (West Virginia University) won by fall over drew Harris (Unattached Ohio University) (Fall 2:23)
Cons. Round 1 - drew Harris (Unattached Ohio University) won by decision over Devon Richard (Unattached) (Dec 3-1)
Cons. Round 2 - Matt Micale (unattached lake erie) won by decision over drew Harris (Unattached Ohio University) (Dec 5-2)

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 16, 2021

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"I do not get the hype with betancourt. He is a clear third stringer at 133. He wrestled in the freshman and sophomore division at Michigan state and his results were not good. Wasn’t a top 100 recruit in high school. He needs to improve and a lot to ever make the lineup. Don’t see it happening."

Hopefully he develops... it's awfully early to write him off.

More importantly he's well connected in PA through his dad's club, and is close with the guys in the 2022 class--Feldman in particular.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 16, 2021

I agree with Brian. Betancourt only lost 1 match at MSU, a 2-1 loss to a Mich. kid, then finished 3rd in the Frosh/soph class. At Tiffin, again he only lost 1 match to the OSU starter Koontz in OT. and finished 3rd again. And he was never blown out of a match, they were all close. And as of now, he is about even with Koontz. So let's see what happens the rest of the year. I mean are we still hoping to land Suriano?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 16, 2021

Does anyone have any insight into when Romero might be ready?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 16, 2021

And where was Decatur last weekend?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 17, 2021

Rumor is that Decatur has foot surgery and is out for the year.

I also wondered about Hubbard. Was wrestling well against O'Connor and then ended up flat on his back while holding a leg in the air. It looked very awkward and I hope he isn't injured.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 17, 2021

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"And where was Decatur last weekend?"

Decatur was there but had a boot on. Out for 8-12 weeks from what I heard.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 17, 2021

Enter DeEmilio l would assume. Didn’t think 141 was necessarily set in stone at this point of the season. Dylan won a couple matches at nationals last year I believe. Also hopeful that Romero will be back soon. Though it was reported he was in a boot a couple weeks ago.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2