Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Who would you want …
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 18, 2022

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"I would chose a school and not the coach. A great coach can prepare you for 4-5 years of athletic greatness. A great school can prepare you for your next 40 or 50 years of success."

I see your point but I do think a good coach is helpful in ways that extend way beyond sport."

That is undeniable. Consider for a moment that the majority of recruiting is done by assistant coaches and assistant coaches tend to be mobile. Obviously it would be ideal to have a great school and a great coach, but if forced to prioritize one should definitely consider that there is a possibility that there will be changes before your 5 years are up and it isn't the school. Just a thought."

Good point.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Who would you want …
Brian Mathews added to this discussion on January 18, 2022

I guess it depends on how good I am.

If I'm good enough and committed enough to the sport that wrestling is likely to be my career, I'm going Ohio State or Penn State (shocker).

If I'm anything below that level, I'd either go to my state school (if from a Big 10 state with a solid school--OSU, PSU, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin) or look to the Ivies (Penn would be my pick of those at the moment).

Every one of these places has high level coaching. Without personal experience being coached by them, it's pretty much impossible to draw distinctions.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2