Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Ohio state expectations at NCAAS
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 17, 2022

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"He is not the same sasso as last year. I think it is a big weight cut. Tournament sasso should be a bit more energized. Like jaggers senior postseason run. Just don’t think he can beat Yianni either way. But still expect him in the finals."

He is not a huge 149.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 17, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"He is not the same sasso as last year. I think it is a big weight cut. Tournament sasso should be a bit more energized. Like jaggers senior postseason run. Just don’t think he can beat Yianni either way. But still expect him in the finals."

He is not a huge 149."

If he were I think the Buckeyes would be better off with Decatur at 41, D’Emilio at 49, and Sasso at 57.

But he doesn’t look too big for the cut.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 17, 2022

It's definitely an issues with the cut. You notice it more in dual meets. As he gets deeper in tournaments he wrestles better. Part of that is being a gamer but a lot has to do with recovery time. Regarding size, I think Sasso would be plenty big to move up should he choose. I remember a couple years ago he wrestled freestyle at 154ish and notched a solid win over NCAA Champ Carr.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 17, 2022

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

"

He is not a huge 149."

If he were I think the Buckeyes would be better off with Decatur at 41, D’Emilio at 49, and Sasso at 57.

But he doesn’t look too big for the cut."

I don’t know D’EMILLO looks like a small 141 and would be an extremely small 149 and have same issues PSU 149 is having wrestling up a weight.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

If Sasso is struggling to make 149 this year, does be bump to 157 next year? And if so, who is the odd man out?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

It has been a talk for a year or two about sasso going to 157. I believe he stayed at 149 to make the best lineup possible. When paddy committed that kept him at 149 I believe. If paddy does not make a leap next year I can see sasso going 157.
Lineup A 141 Decatur/ Demilio
149 sasso
157 paddy
165 Kharchla
Lineup b 141 Decatur
149 Demilio
157 sasso
165 Kharchla

Also can throw in a mendes and Echemendia maybe. These three weights are gonna be contested. Ryan will go for it next year with best guy since all the super sieniors are gone

Really depends on who is going to be a better point scorer between Demilio Decatur and paddy bc one will have to sit. Paddy is still young but not really living up to the number one p4p so far. Hopefully he figures it out by next year bc he should be a 3x or 4x aa if he lives to the ranking he had coming out of high school.
Also of note…. By Anthony echemndia recent social media he claims he is still on the team and just went to the Ohio state wrestling match this last weekend. He may be back in the mix next year so who knows…..

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

I disagree with those of you who feel the cut is a problem. I see no evidence of it. My theory is that he has always struggled getting to a shot and was overly reliant on his defense. Opponents have adjusted. He has improved in getting to leg attacks. But his top work has suffered. And he needs to transition better to another pinning combo besides his near cradle. Everyone knows he's looking for it.

He needs to add some wrinkles.

Kevin Randleman's last season he was undefeated but wrestling tight. Russ Hellickson made the comment that maybe he just needed to lose and get it out of his system. I wonder if the same is true of Sasso?

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on February 18, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

I understand his matches have been close but Sammy is 20-1 and has wrestled the following guys.

#1 Yianni
#5 - Andonian
#10 Murin
#11 Thomas
#15 Van Brill
#17 Sherman was #5 at the time
#19 Beau
#29 Hagan
#31 Blockus

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

"Kevin Randleman's last season he was undefeated but wrestling tight. Russ Hellickson made the comment that maybe he just needed to lose and get it out of his system. I wonder if the same is true of Sasso?"

Sasso does have a L.

Like I said, Sammy has gotten that loss out of his system. He's ready for Big Tens. And the BT is always tough as nails at his weight class.
;)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 18, 2022

I think Ridge Lovett of Nebraska could give Sammy trouble. He wrestled Yanni better than Sammy, and I've seen him on Big Ten wrestling and he is very good on top, a real tough out.

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I think Ridge Lovett of Nebraska could give Sammy trouble. He wrestled Yanni better than Sammy, and I've seen him on Big Ten wrestling and he is very good on top, a real tough out."

Agree. But Nebraska wrestlers can look like world beaters one match then get upset when you least expect it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2