Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA
Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Boom roasted

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 19, 2022

Does anyone else have a really good feeling about Sammy Sasso going 157 next year and challenging for the title?

The weight cut is clearly diminishing his ability this year. He doesn't have the strength to pin as many guys. His most pins were his freshman year and have declined since then. He also doesn't have the stamina he used to. In both matches against Gomez, Sasso got the first takedown and then couldn't hold off Austin as he scored multiple takedowns to wear down Sammy.

With Deakin graduating and Carr probably moving up a weight, 157 is a lot more open for business. Sasso will have so much more strength and energy next year it's going to be awesome!

This means Gallagher and Kharchla could also move up in the lineup too. Both of them are wrestling lower than their high school weights and it seems to be affecting them. Paddy was considered one of the top pound-for-pound in the country last year and this year he lost to a high schooler. And Kharchla faded as the season went on. Losing to Marinelli after beating him earlier.

The Buckeyes are going to be scary next year with Sasso, Gallagher, Kharchla, Romero, and Hoffman all in a row!

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

Christopher, you raise a good question and although I don't know if making 149 is a struggle for Sammy, I kind of think not.

In an interview after winning fifth place, Sammy spoke of a need to get stronger in the weight room. That suggests, if anything, he's on the smaller end of 149. But more telling was his comments indicating he will have to beat Yianni next year to win a national title. I don't see Yianni changing weights, so I suppose Sammy will stay put as well.

If Sammy was to go up in weight, an All-American would likely be on the bench somewhere up the chain.

157-Sammy
165-Gallagher
174-Smith/Kharchla
184-Romero/Smith
197-Hoffman/Romero
285-Orndorff/Hoffman/Feldman

The best lineup begins with Sammy returning at 149, imo.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

Why would Kharchla move up? Why are you conceding 165 to Gallagher?

Sasso is not a big 149. He needs to vary his top game and continue to work on leg attacks. He's a good finisher but it takes him awhile. I also don't understand why he no longer hits his nearside cradle. Surely there are other ways to work into it?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Why would Kharchla move up? Why are you conceding 165 to Gallagher?

Sasso is not a big 149. He needs to vary his top game and continue to work on leg attacks. He's a good finisher but it takes him awhile. I also don't understand why he no longer hits his nearside cradle. Surely there are other ways to work into it?"

Drew’s point was IF Sasso was to move up as a response to an earlier post about such a move. I do not think he was suggesting it happen but only what would happen.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

As usual, I didn't read carefully. Thanks Mark. I get it now.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

My NCAA and season final thoughts, not that it means anything, just my ramblings
125. I am a Malik fan, he had a tough draw at NCAA, but I just don’t know if he has anymore to give at the NCAA level, he has a Covid year I believe if he chooses to use it. I do hope when he gets to the international level, he kills it
Soriano is really good, earlier in the season I wasn’t sure if he would be able to hold 125 for the whole season
133. Who’s up next?
RBY is crazy, I don’t want to like him, but I do. I will root for him everytime he wrestles desanto
141 DD wrestles tough, let’s hope he can get over the hump next year. Sucks he had eierman on the back side. Was hoping he could knock off a hobbled version of him
Who’s going to be the dominate 141 next year. Is Matthews a senior?
149. I love Sasso, I personally think the weight is an issue. I have no idea what is up, but he just seems a bit off, even with that he wasn’t beating yanni, that guys a freak. Let’s home Sammy comes back next year he puts every 149 pounder in the country on notice
Andonian is awesome! I love watching that kid wrestle, he goes out there and let’s it fly, more guys should do that
157. Jashon, Wilcox, hepner pick one. If it’s paddy, then let’s go paddy
Good for deacon. I like that kid
165. Carson is phenomenal. I’ve never wrestled at this level or Evan came close, but I do think he was battling an injury, at least that’s what it looks like. Even so, he came within an eyelash of beating otoole, he’ll certainly be in title contention next year, as for otoole, that kids a stud, kudos to him
174. Smith is great, we’re all frustrated about is performance over the weekend, does he come back? He’s an aa, but part of me feels as if we’ve seen the best he has to offer
I was rooting for makai last night, what a great match
184. Kaleb put it together this year and he got the aa. He wrestled great this year and Saturday was the best I’d seen him wrestle. He’s coming back right?
What can you say about brooks, not sure if anyone is beating him any time soon
197. One hell of a weekend for Hoffman, he’s always a wild card after nearly hearing dean a month or so ago, then knocking off the Rutgers kid, there seemed to be something different about him, I was hoping that he could do this. Sucks that he triple dipped at the end but aa all the same
I can’t believe max dean is only a junior. It seems like he’s been in college forever
285. Say what you want about Tate, but he gives it everything he has, problem is all of the heavys that are ahead of him are WAY better than him, making it to the blood round was great. Guessing heavy will be losing some guys next year
Gable nothing else there. My guess is it’s Kirkvliet that takes over as the dominant heavy next year.

Most everyone predicting ohio state would get 4 AA, they got 4 AA. Par for the course being out of the top 10 stung, regroup and come back next year ready to go. Just my 2 cents. Love the banter on this site

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

As I watched all the 7th year seniors wrestle at the tournament, I kept on thinking about Kollin Moore and Luke Plecher, as well as the other seniors in 2020 who got the short end of the stick while the lower classmen were given extra opportunities to become AA's or national champions.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"As I watched all the 7th year seniors wrestle at the tournament, I kept on thinking about Kollin Moore and Luke Plecher, as well as the other seniors in 2020 who got the short end of the stick while the lower classmen were given extra opportunities to become AA's or national champions."

Absolutely. Amazing how bad the NCAA screwed up the decision. Giving a free year in 2021 to ANYBODY that didn't make the 2020 NCAA's was ludicrous.

A better wrestling solution was to say -- if the NCAA tournament gets cancelled for any year, that year won't count against your eligibility. Having guys stand on the podium 5 times is beyond ridiculous.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Absolutely. Amazing how bad the NCAA screwed up the decision. Giving a free year in 2021 to ANYBODY that didn't make the 2020 NCAA's was ludicrous.

A better wrestling solution was to say -- if the NCAA tournament gets cancelled for any year, that year won't count against your eligibility. Having guys stand on the podium 5 times is beyond ridiculous."

This botch by the NCAA has got to be one of the biggest administrative blunders ever. I cannot fathom how allegedly smart people ever decided it was a fair idea to give all athletes who completed a full season in 20-21 an extra year of eligibility while athletes who were shorted a portion or a full season in 19-20 got the shaft. Certainly Moore and Pletcher were favorites to win titles in March 2020. I’m extra salty about this since my son and I had tickets to the NCAA tourney in Minneapolis that year.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2022

[quote="Mark Cummings"]

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"This botch by the NCAA has got to be one of the biggest administrative blunders ever. I cannot fathom how allegedly smart people ever decided it was a fair idea to give all athletes who completed a full season in 20-21 an extra year of eligibility while athletes who were shorted a portion or a full season in 19-20 got the shaft. Certainly Moore and Pletcher were favorites to win titles in March 2020. I’m extra salty about this since my son and I had tickets to the NCAA tourney in Minneapolis that year."

Can anybody give a logical reason for just giving a flat out free year in 20-21 instead of free year for those in school in 19-20?

OR announcing IF post seasons are cancelled by NCAA, that year won’t count.

Mark, I was salty about 2020 also. My guy was seeded 6th and wrestling very well AND i was returning to my home state for the tourney. Arrrrrggggg!!!!!!

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 21, 2022

My best guess is the NCAA was terrified of having to cancel the national tournament for the second year in a row in 2021. So, to avoid that doomsday scenario, they announced from the beginning that the season wouldn't count whether it happened or not.

You had some conferences prepared to compete, and others like the Ivy who weren't gonna have a season. It was a mess.

The decision also benefitted those wrestlers who inevitably would test positive prior to their qualifying tournament or the NCAA tournament.

There are no easy answers for this stuff and the NCAA deserves a certain degree of grace. I was just happy to have a tournament.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 21, 2022

There were a lot of decisions made and things handed out throughout 2020 that don't make a ton of sense in hindsight.

It's not going away, either. We've got 3 more years of 6th year seniors.

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 21, 2022

That decision definitely was a head scratcher. The next question is do you think pletcher and Moore would have come back ? Yes , NCAA blundered that one.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 21, 2022

Quote from Jeff Fortman's post:

"That decision definitely was a head scratcher. The next question is do you think pletcher and Moore would have come back ? Yes , NCAA blundered that one."

Kollin said recently that he would not have come back. College wrestling is incredibly hard on the body and he was ready to move on and focus solely on freestyle.

If you listened to Kharchla's post-NCAA interview, he alluded to something similar. Not sure he's a guy that's interested in staying in college for 6 years.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next