Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Offseason Shopping via Transfer Portal
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 30, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Gary Traub entered the lineup in 2019-20 after Greg Kerkvliet transferred and Chase Singletary suffered an injury early in the year. He performed beyond anyone's imagination and the country quickly latched onto Gas Tank Gary.

How was he rewarded? Tate Orndorff was brought in via the portal to take his spot.

There's a balance in fielding the best team possible and not upsetting the lockerroom. Even Penn State seems to recognize this. Beard got benched after AA honors, but for a guy who had already been a national finalist and who had multiple remaining years of eligibility. I'm sure veterans like Nick Lee and Aaron Brooks were okay with the move, especially after losing the team race at nationals to Iowa.

I don't see OSU pursuing a marquee transfer.

At nearly every weight, the team's projected starter will enter next season in or near the top 10. Not much room to upgrade. The exceptions are weights pegged for a star freshman (133, Bouzakis; 157, Gallagher)."

I get your point but I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

I believe Gary only wrestled because Kerk transferred out and was NQ and went 1-2 and they brought in another NQ to compete.

PSU had an AA and replaced him with a higher AA. Dean scored 21.5 pts for them at Nationals and they won by 36.5. Good chance they win without.

Look at Beau who has wrestled up at 149 for 2 years and was planning on going more natural weight of 141 but might get replaced by Real Woods?

But I can’t blame a kid for wanting to go wrestle for PSU and can’t blame coaches for wanting to bring that type of kid in.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 30, 2022

Also, a consideration is that you want the best training partners available. By recruiting Max Dean, you just improved your best wrestlers opportunity to get better in the room.

You are forced to improve areas of wrestling in which your partners are strong. It's interesting that Aaron Brooks got outlasted by Myles Amine when he had Dean in the room. Max Dean has a gas tank by all accounts. I suspect that Myles' low attack when fatigued is something difficult for which to prepare as evidenced by his Olympic performance. At NCAAs, Brooks took the last stanza out of the equation by scoring early and building up a lead.

Hildebrandt is an excellent top wrestler that was coached up while at CMU and was a lesser-known commodity. You are on full display if you wrestle in the Big Ten and eyes are on you. His neutral wrestling did not distinguish him from others at the weight.

Malik has excellent neutral wrestling but is no bully nor does he have the ability to push and shove like some bigger opponents at the weight. Everyone says wait until he gets bigger. Yes and no, still have to be able to hold your ground and attack, which is attitude underwritten by strength. He got bullied by Lamont.

Also, Echemendia is a stud and looked great on paper. Hard to factor in the culture aspect of it and getting married to someone that makes one feel passionate rather than grounded. I wish him nothing but the best, but who has his ear? Dude, stay in your lane. Take a hard look at your actions and what/who triggered them.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 31, 2022

Given the chatter that Woods may be looking to transfer...
I don't think he has any connection to the Buckeyes, but Ohio State did have pretty good success with another 141 Stanford transfer.

Pie in the sky, obviously, but if they could pull it off he'd potentially be the final piece to the 2023/2024 lineup that has so much potential on paper. In two years you could conceivably have this murderers row:

133) Bouzakis
141) Mendez
149) Woods
157) Sasso
165) Gallagher
174) Kharchla

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2