Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Feldman
Chris Thomas added to this discussion on May 6, 2022

Snyder was a 4-time finalist and 3-time champ without a red-shirt. One lapse from being a four-timer. Wrestling opponents outweighing him by 40 pounds. Maybe I'm blind and just can't see it. He is awesome( Feldman) but not on Kyle's level imo.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 7, 2022

Comparisons are understandable. Everyone has a tendency to compare in coming kids with people we are familiar with. Unfairly or not that’s a very natural phenomena. Feldman dominates and physically resembles a past Buckeye great. He will always be compared to Snyder regardless if it’s fair or not. I’d imagine he knows that, and clearly part of his decision to come to Ohio State is with that pressure in mind.
I do think heavy weight is tough to project out. Elite high school athletes stand out substantially more at the upper weights more than light and middle because there are fewer elite wrestlers and overall athletes. Of course he’s destroying people, he’s stronger, faster, and more superior in technique than 99% of the people he competed against. Most athletes of that same caliber are playing other sports like football. Mendes and Bousakis have more equitable competition as a fairer comparison.
Feldman, baring injury, will be a collegiate stud for the Bucks. Snyder elite? I’m excited to watch and find out. Kyle is and was a generational talent. Michael Jordan-esk if you will. I’m not sure even he would have predicted what happened if you spoke with him at 18. Every kid wants to be a 4x national champ and Olympic gold medalist if you ask them. Not even the most elite get to where Kyle has been

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 8, 2022

no one can predict future greatness-- certainly many more with high expectations fail to make it than do make it.. Snyder had that X factor mentally & emotionally, & the personal traits, besides the obvious physical skills.

However looking at the PHYSICAL, certainly Feldman has the extraordinary skills to be talked about in the same conversation with Snyder, at this stage of their careers. ... And he has the intangibles now. But its a long journey to Mt Olympus, fraught with pitfalls and opportunities to stall out.

The videos don't lie, we know the level of Feldman's opposition. What we don't know is his ability and willingness too do what is necessary to keep advancing like Snyder did

Rocky Marciano said, "It takes a total commitment of mind and body to be the best. When you cant give that anymore, they don't call you champion anymore."

Bill Splete added to this discussion on May 8, 2022

Talked to a solid source that Bo Nickal reached out to Feldman with a 6 figure offer, in the last few weeks, to attend PSU. I was also told from the same source Feldmans response was, and I quote “I’m good” and hung up the phone. For the record I double checked the source and it’s rock solid. NIL has to take the universities and coaches out of the equation, it has nothing to do with them. NIL is between the athlete and company, not the university, otherwise we are dangerously close to SMU territory

Two things:
1. The NIL business is dirty and ethics are taking a back seat to opportunity.

2. Feldman may be as good a person as he is an athlete.

Don Bork added to this discussion on May 9, 2022

If so, not at all surprised. I have no problem with athletes making some money on “name, image and likeness”, but there need to be some guardrails. Right now it seems like the wild Wild West.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 9, 2022

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"Talked to a solid source that Bo Nickal reached out to Feldman with a 6 figure offer, in the last few weeks, to attend PSU. I was also told from the same source Feldmans response was, and I quote “I’m good” and hung up the phone. For the record I double checked the source and it’s rock solid. NIL has to take the universities and coaches out of the equation, it has nothing to do with them. NIL is between the athlete and company, not the university, otherwise we are dangerously close to SMU territory

Two things:
1. The NIL business is dirty and ethics are taking a back seat to opportunity.

2. Feldman may be as good a person as he is an athlete."

I would argue we're well past SMU territory at this point. In large part because the NCAA's entire approach to NIL has been: "you wanted this, now you deal with the mess."

Now supposedly the NCAA will come out with a new regulatory NIL framework this week targeting exactly this sort of thing, that could potentially apply retroactively.
Which, by the way, they had already had a commission create at the onset of the NIL era, but never put it into place (for fear of lawsuits) in favor of letting things devolve before taking a stand.

Regarding that rumor, I have no idea if it's true but it's well within reason for a #1 recruit. I agree NIL has created a very slimy landscape--my only issue is portraying any kids that would accept that sort of deal as unethical. The programs and boosters involved, perhaps.

I also think Feldman seems like a rock solid individual, but have you considered that perhaps what they offered was a pay cut?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 9, 2022

[quote="Bill Splete"] NIL has to take the universities and coaches out of the equation, it has nothing to do with them. NIL is between the athlete and company, not the university, otherwise we are dangerously close to SMU territory

Bill, it appears that is exactly what is happening, NCAA & universities want out of being involved --as much as possible. They recognize pitfalls and potential land mines-- and their limitations..

Here is excellent article that clarifies some things.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-athletics/2022/05/130797/ohio-state-nil-collectives-walking-fine-line-between-staying-competitive-and-staying-compliant

Bill Splete added to this discussion on May 9, 2022

"I also think Feldman seems like a rock solid individual, but have you considered that perhaps what they offered was a pay cut?"

Brian, I had not thought of this...crazy how the landscape has changed so quickly.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 10, 2022

It's so hard some times to make up your mind about a big decision. And once you do it, you want to move forward. Assuming that Nickal reached out to Feldman, one hopes it's not a situation where weeks later he reconsiders.

Regardless, it's slimy if valid. I certainly respect Bill Splete and know he wouldn't bring up this phone call if he didn't have reason to believe its true. I think all of us can see how easily this might happen with a talent like Feldman...or Mendez...or Bouzakis.

This is the new normal I guess. At least for the moment.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 10, 2022

from AWN May issue:
“He’s an irreplaceable person,” his coach Lautar said. “Everything he brings to the table, his character, his personality, his work ethic, he’s the complete package. He’ll surely be missed, but he’s on to bigger and better things and I hope he’s set up to keep getting better at Ohio State.”

Nick Feldman’s father, Josh Feldman, finished seventh in the nation as a heavyweight at Virginia Tech in 1994. After Josh retired from the Navy in the mid-2010s, the family moved to the Solanco school district. “I got beat up a little bit but started working a little harder,” said Nick, of his middle school days in Pennsylvania. “I’m from Virginia and Pennsylvania is known for its wrestling. Virginia is not. I knew I had to improve and I always dreamed of wrestling in college.”

Nick is well on pace to follow in his father’s footsteps at the college level, but there’s another heavyweight great Nick hopes to emulate. Former Ohio State NCAA champ, Kyle Snyder, also won Olympic gold, and did at a similar size as Nick Feldman. While Nick is 230 pounds of pure muscle, he stands at 5-foot-11-inches, the same as Snyder.

Nick will likely be shorter than many college heavyweights, but his relentless offensive attack and agility figure to negate any size disadvantage.
“I see being shorter as an advantage,” Nick said. “It’s harder for them to get to my legs and their legs are easier to get to. I’ve always modeled myself after (Snyder). Him going to Ohio State, those are some huge shoes to fill, but I’m going to keep improving and hopefully one day I can.”

If there was one thing made clear the last couple years in the world of wrestling, it’s that a great big man will still captivate the audience. Minnesota’s charismatic NCAA champ, Gable Steveson, flipped his popularity into a contract with the WWE. That did not go unnoticed with Nick, who said he’d love to one day cash in on the Name, Image and Likeness deals that are now allowed in the NCAA. “NILs are a huge part of the sport now,” Nick said. “I’m not going to change anything about myself. If people like it, they like it, but it would be really cool.”

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 12, 2022

Excellent write-up! Thanks for sharing, @BobP.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 12, 2022

thanx ...nice article in WIN today, on how Feldman welcomes comparisons to Snyder who he says he modeled his game after.

(how did Ohio st get this guy??? don't look a gift horse in the mouth. well we got Snyder too.)

my instinct tells me he is the right guy too, not just the right wrestler.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on May 13, 2022

Not too long ago, we all thought Kerkvliet was going to be a Buckeye, right up until he wasn't.

I'll believe Feldman is one when he shows up at the first practice wearing the singlet.

Once burned, twice shy...:)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 13, 2022

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"Not too long ago, we all thought Kerkvliet was going to be a Buckeye, right up until he wasn't.

I'll believe Feldman is one when he shows up at the first practice wearing the singlet.

Once burned, twice shy...:)"

Kerkvliet had already burned a few schools (Okie State for sure and I thought one other) when he showed up to Columbus.

But with the NIL, I'd agree that all bets are off. You never know who's going to be swayed by money.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 16, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"Not too long ago, we all thought Kerkvliet was going to be a Buckeye, right up until he wasn't.

Once burned, twice shy...:)"

Kerkvliet had already burned a few schools (Okie State for sure and I thought one other) when he showed up to Columbus.

But with the NIL, I'd agree that all bets are off. You never know who's going to be swayed by money."

Minnesota. But I'll cut him some slack there... didn't make a lot of sense for he and Gable to be on the same roster.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next