Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Wrestle offs
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 28, 2022

I was one of the few on this site that said decatur had a chance to win and potentially be an all American this year. However by the way Tom Ryan talked in the off-season I do not even think they are considering him a starter. He may have to beat a couple top 15-20 guys along with a better placement in a tournament. His weight cutting at 133 has always been a huge issue. Cklv may be the true wrestle off if I had to coach. He is a different animal at 141. He needs to show a gas tank along with better top/bottom wrestling. The potential is there. He is like 3-1 now against demilo.

Malik is better. Period. Gonna beat all Americans in regular season then disappoint everyone at tourney. Gonzales is not the answer to the future of this weight. We need to recruit hard now at 125. Gonzales did beat betancourt a future all American in many of your eyes. ????

No way hepner gets the spot over kharchla. I remember when hunter Stieber lost his wrestle off.

I am a little worried about paddy. I thought he was a 4 x all American. I am very hesitant at this point to predict future accolades for him.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 28, 2022

For me, wrestle-offs are fun for the fans but early season competitions should determine the starter. To Hank's point, wrestling someone every day in the room is a clear determining factor in these results.

Having said that, I have a ton of respect for Decatur and his stick-to-itness (made up phrase). Many high level recruits who don't see instant success cut and run or give up. Hoping something works out for him.

William Danforth added to this discussion on October 28, 2022

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"I was one of the few on this site that said decatur had a chance to win and potentially be an all American this year. However by the way Tom Ryan talked in the off-season I do not even think they are considering him a starter. He may have to beat a couple top 15-20 guys along with a better placement in a tournament. His weight cutting at 133 has always been a huge issue. Cklv may be the true wrestle off if I had to coach. He is a different animal at 141. He needs to show a gas tank along with better top/bottom wrestling. The potential is there. He is like 3-1 now against demilo.

"

Cklv can not be the true wrestle off. Only one entry per weight class per team.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on October 28, 2022

I am sorry, you are correct. You can only enter one at cklv. I do want to see Decatur at cklv to see what he has however. I guess we will see rematches at Michigan state open. If Decatur wins again you have to give him the spot right? I honestly think he can all American if he gets the spot. People need to realize Decatur has energy in the third now that he isn’t killing himself for a cut. That is two straight matches he won late against demilio. At 133 I remember him not being able to barely stand up after two minutes. I hope he can prove people wrong and write a happy ending to his career. I am just still very puzzled Tom Ryan didn’t even mention Decatur in preseason talk about being a potential starter. He just went on about demilio progress and his future and nothing about Decatur as even being in the conversation as a starter. I mean there has to be a reason he hasn’t transferred out. He could start at about 80 percent or more of division 1 colleges. I can’t wait to see rocky at his natural weight and if demilio does win would love to see Decatur somewhere else. Is this Decatur last year or does he have one more?

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on October 28, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 28, 2022

I believe Kollin, Sammy or TR mentioned MSU was going to be another opportunity to win spots. You can’t ignore two straight wins by Jordan over D’Emilio at 41.

Everyone knows the cut is tough for Kharchla. If that is the first time down that could explain some of it.

I actually thought Gonzalez looked good.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 28, 2022

"You can’t ignore two straight wins by Jordan over D’Emilio at 41."

DEmilio had a fall over AA Bergeland last year and has competed with distinction for two seasons. Over the summer he was a finalist for the jr world team.

Decatur won that match in part because the ref missed an obvious infraction.

I'm glad it's not my decision to make but if it were I'd need to be convinced Decatur was a legit AA candidate before giving him the spot.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 28, 2022

Also consider that Tom Ryan was apparently convinced that Decatur was the better option last season, as Jordan started before getting injured. I will root for whomever takes the mat at that weight for the Bucks.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 29, 2022

These wrestle off mean really little to nothing in terms of who starts and who sits. It gives staff data points to work with team.

MSU Open will be the determining factor.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 30, 2022

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"These wrestle off mean really little to nothing in terms of who starts and who sits. It gives staff data points to work with team.

MSU Open will be the determining factor."

Does anyone see a scenario where we see a lot of lineup shuffling throughout the year? I think if the Covid extension seasons have provided the Bucks with a great opportunity to reduce the number of times guys have to cut down, and take the mat. I’m not sure you will find a deeper roster in the country than the Bucks. You could argue that they could wrestle a Friday night dual with one set of guys followed by a Sunday dual with a completely different set of guys and there would be no discernible difference. I think you put some of your sixth year guys on a match count.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 30, 2022

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Does anyone see a scenario where we see a lot of lineup shuffling throughout the year? I think if the Covid extension seasons have provided the Bucks with a great opportunity to reduce the number of times guys have to cut down, and take the mat. I’m not sure you will find a deeper roster in the country than the Bucks. You could argue that they could wrestle a Friday night dual with one set of guys followed by a Sunday dual with a completely different set of guys and there would be no discernible difference. I think you put some of your sixth year guys on a match count."

From everything I've heard Tom talk about, my guess is the staff will put the best healthy line-up on the mat each night.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 30, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

""You can’t ignore two straight wins by Jordan over D’Emilio at 41."

DEmilio had a fall over AA Bergeland last year and has competed with distinction for two seasons. Over the summer he was a finalist for the jr world team.

Decatur won that match in part because the ref missed an obvious infraction.

I'm glad it's not my decision to make but if it were I'd need to be convinced Decatur was a legit AA candidate before giving him the spot."

And D'Emilio beat Pitts' Cole Matthews in last years dual 4-3, and Matthews is currently ranked #1.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 5, 2022

And the finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ePMdMEKDlU

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2