Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: 2022 MSU Open
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 5, 2022

Brady, you’re probably right that DD will and should start but I’d caution against assigning too much value to an early November open.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Brady, you’re probably right that DD will and should start but I’d caution against assigning too much value to an early November open."

Don't you think the staff has more confidence in DD at this point?

Yep, and that’s why I tend to agree with Brady. But I want to give Decatur an extended opportunity before anointing DD the man. DD has not accomplished enough in my opinion to win the spot without a real discussion.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 5, 2022

"Yep, and that’s why I tend to agree with Brady. But I want to give Decatur an extended opportunity before anointing DD the man. DD has not accomplished enough in my opinion to win the spot without a real discussion."

DD just inj def vs. Mattin -- but J.D. has had far too many of those no action no energy 2nd and 3rd period matches in his career to have him be the man. Just my opinion.

D’Emilio since my post lost to Cole Mattin of Michigan. Mattin is just ok.

"D’Emilio since my post lost to Cole Mattin of Michigan. Mattin is just ok."

Yes -- but was an inj def

Buckeyes Twitter said it was 5-2. Michigan Twitter says injury default with Mattin ahead 5-2 with two takedowns.

"Buckeyes Twitter said it was 5-2. Michigan Twitter says injury default with Mattin ahead 5-2 with two takedowns."

Correct. Still in period 1. Hurt knee in first scramble. Tom pulled him when he clearly couldn't defend himself in the second scramble.

Meanwhile, J.D. is getting ridden out again giving up multiple stalling points on bottom in a 9-4 win. His inability to escape will cost him badly.

Thanks. Let’s hope D’Emilio’s knee is ok.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2022

D'Emilio is ok. They just didn't want to be stupid. And Mattin was wrestling his butt off

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 5, 2022

Mendes is the truth!! Huge big big move on Byrd

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 6, 2022

On the day, veterans did their work, and young guys showed out for the most part. I thought Malik, Sammy, Ethan, and Kaleb did exactly what you thought they should. How about Koontz knocking off Medley??
141 is a bit of a concern. Not exactly a great start to the season for D’Emilio. I’d imagine he sits for VT dual, but do you pull Decaturs RS for this? I’m wondering if you throw Bousakis out there this week. Take advantage of the new rules.
Paddy looked ok. I guess I was looking for a Mendes level performance out of the former #1 overall recruit. He looked a little gassed towards the end of his finals match, and really…just gave up a take down off of a poorly timed shot. I do like his aggressiveness though.
Hoffman squeaks out a semis win and then gets decked in the finals. Looked like the typical performance he puts out. You can tell he’s been working with Kollin Moore a lot. High shot frequency, sometimes a little errant, but he is still a guy that could be an AA on a great weekend or could go 2-2.
I’m curious why Orndorf and our super frosh 285 didn’t go…
Bousakis annihilated his freshman devision, and then Geog bumps up and beats Shumate 6-1, in a match that wasn’t really close. You can see why the Bucks are excited about him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 6, 2022

Mendes is the truth but I'm not surprised by his performance. he had Seth Gross on the ropes this summer.

Ease up on D'Emilio. Mattin wrestled the match like it was the NCAA finals and DD got dinged up.

Austin Gomez got beat bad yesterday by an absolute no name.

I thought Sammy looked fantastic.

Bucks are fine. Biggest issue is Gallagher is making too big a cut. No question about it when you look at him. We will need Isaac Wilcox this season.

I suspect that we will see Gallagher and Kharchla move up next season. Geog is the future at 197. Rocco Welsh may need to hit the lineup immediately at 184.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 6, 2022

Pretty much a spot on summation of our performance yesterday. I didn’t watch as I let my Flo subscription lapse, Thanks Jared. Mendez and Bouzakis seem to be as advertised. It will be interesting to see how they progress over the course of the season. Pretty sure the decision has been made to burn the Mendez redshirt.

Our lineup seems to be set with the exception of 141. I’m in the Dylan DeEmilio camp. Hoping his injury is minor. Just been disappointed by Decatur too many times waiting for an emergence that I don’t think we’ll ever see. Mat wrestling being his Achilles heal.

Without seeing his matches I’m excited about Luke Geog’s performance. I expect he’ll be a mainstay in the lineup starting next year at either 184 or 197. On the other hand I feel like Seth Shumate is much the same wrestler he was five years ago when he won state as a freshman. Very physical and a big throw guy with little interest (nor aptitude at this point) in mat wrestling.

I think at this point I feel like we have six sure or likely AAs at 133, 149, 165, 174, 184 and Heavy. I think each of our other four weights have the potential as round of twelve to low AA. Understanding that upsets and injury’s take place I’ll put the over/under on AAs at six at this point. Just wondering what others think.

Looking forward to the Virginia Tech match Friday!

I’m also curious as to why Karchla, Hepner and Orndorff were held out this weekend.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 6, 2022

This bears repeating. Sasso looked fantastic. He's never going to be Mister Leg Shot but he was crisp and varied with his attacks. His right arm underhook throw by is ridiculous and he was aggressive upperbody which led to scores. He never looked right last season and finished 5th strictly off defense. Yianni is still the big fave at 149 but this version of Sammy is the #2 man.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next