Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Bucks look to be suffering from HEW
Matt Mace added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

True freshman cannot wrestle unattached in the first semester. Flo wrote a nice article that explains the changes better than I can.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7836084-true-freshmen-impacted-by-NCAA-bylaw-changes

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

D1 wrestling is a brutal, brutal game. I can't attest enough that I think everybody would be better served by cutting the season in half (or focusing it in the springtime or fall vs cutting across the holidays).

Training habits, while seemingly getting better, are still fairly immature and cause so much tearing down of the bodies. I have so many friends who took YEARS to get back to a healthy relationship with fitness and eating, myself included. I came in my Jr. year hitting my stride, ranked top 10 in the country (already with 2 knee surgeries under my belt) before needing emergency hip surgery with a 10 month recovery, coming back my Sr. year on one leg and promptly tearing my LCL in that leg. And I know my story isn't that uncommon. I was already getting my MBA my grad school, so I wasn't about to try and take a 6th year because frankly I knew my body was toast. 7 years later and I'm stronger / more fit / am a much better wrestler that I ever was and I honestly think it's due to the constant pressure / strain / weight cutting over such a long period of time that everyone goes through at the D1 level.

Anyways, yeah, I really wouldn't be surprised if you're seeing lackluster performances from 4th / 5th / 6th years because by that time... you're just beat, man.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

Quote from Brandon Gambucci's post:

" Anyways, yeah, I really wouldn't be surprised if you're seeing lackluster performances from 4th / 5th / 6th years because by that time... you're just beat, man."

thanks for your firsthand account. ...kind of supports opinion ive had, to RS sparingly, the clock is ticking on both the body and the mind.

AmWrNews rankings out today, from looking at em u wouldnt know the ohio st roster includes two recruiting classes that were ranked No. 1 or 2 (before 2022). Now sure doesnt look it. What happened? Maybe will look better in 3 months.

Jesse Mendez making smart decision to compete at varsity level now. He has much much bigger goals, why waste time & body, the clock is ticking.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 5, 2022

...and yet each year, many 4th and 5th year athletes are winning national titles.

My opinion is that it has FAR more to do with how one trains/recovers than with the year they are in school.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2022

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"...and yet each year, many 4th and 5th year athletes are winning national titles.

My opinion is that it has FAR more to do with how one trains/recovers than with the year they are in school."

That's on the staff.

Last year, Iowa brought back the gang for an extra season and were heavily favored to win it all when the year began. But they looked old and beat up from the start. They kind of recovered but were surpassed by Penn State.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 6, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"...and yet each year, many 4th and 5th year athletes are winning national titles.

My opinion is that it has FAR more to do with how one trains/recovers than with the year they are in school."

That's on the staff.

"

How? Have you ever tried to "force" a 18-24 year old to do something? Usually doesn't work too well. I'm sure the staff has guidance on proper training and recovery, it's up to the athlete to actually do it.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 6, 2022

Yes, you have to consider the type of training of the program and the style of wrestling of the individual to gauge whether they are HEW.

Training and competition are two different things.
They should complement one another, but unfortunately coaches look at it through the lens of this is how it's done here. One size fits all. That's a pretty large blanket when you take into consideration that individual needs are very unique.

Handfighting and taking shots takes lots of energy.

Countering, riding and scrambling require less.

If your wrestling requires a lot of handfighting and shot taking. You best be scoring points. That's a ton of work and frustrating otherwise.

Mitch Clark did'nt have to spend a bunch of energy on his feet or the mat. His scoring points didnt require as much energy.

If you were going to make an equation of it for a match. Points scored/exertion(subjective score 1-10). you'd want that number to be as large as possible.

As an athlete, I'd rather have an hour of intense, guided, end goal driven work rather than 2 hours of filler and arbitrary work.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 7, 2022

"If your wrestling requires a lot of handfighting and shot taking. You best be scoring points. That's a ton of work and frustrating otherwise."

Ethan Smith has noticeably gassed late in bouts going back to his blood round collapse last season. He doesn't ride. Even though he scores, it seems as if he has to work too hard and then hang on. He has the highest attack rate on the team it seems to me. I think he'd have a lot more success if he could ride guys for 30-40 seconds after a takedown.

He's an excellent wrestler but appears to be wearing down and it could be due to style.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2