Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Penn state vs Ohio state 2/3
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"I enjoyed watching this match via the Big Ten network. Although Jim Gibbons gets kidded for using his stock phrases, he does make a lot of useful comments about wrestling technique.

Many of the matches were quite competitive. Even though the score wasn't close in the RBY-Mendez match, RBY was only able to get takedowns using crisp, elite level technique. He took Mendez very seriously.

Starocci had a 59 to 0 ratio in takedowns until Ethan Smith took him down for the first time this season. Ethan also escaped 3 times, which is very difficult against Starocci. I think Ethan's conditioning is still a little behind at this point in time, probably due his recent injury.

Kaleb Romero wrestled a great match against Brooks. Looking forward to future potential battles at Big Tens and NCAA's.

Coach Ryan threw the challenge brick again needlessly and hence didn't have it available to challenge the takedown on Hoffman at the end of the first period."

Disagree on needless challenge it could’ve tied the match and sent it into OT and that TD against Hoffman didn’t mean anything

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Penn state vs Ohio state 2/3
Don Bork added to this discussion on February 4, 2023

The results of this match should not surprise anyone. The higher ranked wrestler won all ten matches. That being said, I think much can be taken from the results. One being that PSU is on its own level, and then come several other teams. I think TOSU is one of them.

The Buckeyes had some very good performances, namely, Heinselman (though his opponent is far from the level of the other nine for PSU). Sasso who got the job done against a well prepared and game Van Ness. As well as Smith and Romero who both looked competitive against multiple time national champions.

I agree with Hank and others that Karchla is too predictable in his attacks. He also doesn’t ride and is weak on bottom, so he cannot win unless he wins the takedown battle. He certainly was never close to penetrating Facundos defense. But it seems apparent, as others have posted, that he is dealing with some injury (and maybe weight) issues. Injuries can absolutely greatly affect success. Mike Pucillo was not the same wrestler his senior season and look at Brayton Lee of Minnesota this season, it happens.

I think Hoffman and Orndorff are what they are and think it’s unlikely that either will repeat as AAs, though I’ll give Tate a slightly better chance.

My biggest concern is the difference in progression (success) of the first year starters for PSU, Van Ness, Haines and Facundo as compared to Gallagher. Paddy beat Facundo in high school l believe during their senior year, and wrestled competitively with Haines last season. Now they seem light years apart. The PSUers looked comfortable and confident on the mat while Paddy couldn’t mount an attack or defend his legs. I know all individuals progress differently, but…..

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2