Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs Nebraska
Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 10, 2023

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Angel is going to decide 157. 2 stall calls against Paddy and then no TD."

The two stall calls were really early. There have been way more egregious things let go.

Dylan looked really good in the loss.

Last edited by Mark Cummings on February 10, 2023; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 10, 2023

"Angel is going to decide 157. 2 stall calls against Paddy and then no TD."

The stalls were really quick, at least I thought so

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 10, 2023

They need to go to a straight push out point. Robb went OB a couple times and Angel called action. Paddy goes OB and he hits him twice. Paddy was trying to circle and Robb was blocking. Too inconsistent.

P.S. Nice kicks Rex!

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 10, 2023

Good lord! Bucks have to win one of these close ones don’t they?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 10, 2023

That was poor situational wrestling by Smith. Had the leg shelved and ended up giving up 2 at the end of the match. OSU could have won this dual even without Carson and Kaleb.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 10, 2023

"They need to go to a straight push out point. Robb went OB a couple times and Angel called action. Paddy goes OB and he hits him twice. Paddy was trying to circle and Robb was blocking. Too inconsistent.

P.S. Nice kicks Rex!"

That match deserved to go to OT. That second stall call was a push out, Paddy trying to stay in with Robb pushing him out of bounds. They might as well have a one point push out like in FS.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 11, 2023

Good dual between two upper echelon teams trying to occupy the spot beneath Iowa and PSU in the Big Ten. Bucks were wounded but wrestled hard. D'Emilio probably wins if not for that extended break at the end of regulation. Hardy is funky but D'Emilio had him almost figured out. And that might have been Gallagher's best effort of the season. He's had quite a gauntlet to run and could be ready to pull some upsets at Big Tens. Smith had Labriola until he didn't. They know each other well.

Some of you are ready to annoint Geog at next year's 197 but you're overestimating him at this point. He's got some good leg attacks but has a long way to go.

Has there ever been a more complete true frosh in the Buckeye lineup than Jesse Mendez? He's really good in every position. Even Snyder had some obvious weaknesses by comparison. I know Myles won it as a true frosh but I think Mendez is clearly a better wrestler than that version of Myles. Unlike some past Buck NCAA frosh champs, Mendez is stuck dealing with an all time great in RBY and another super stud in Daton Fix. But he can challenge anyone else at the weight.

Heinselman continues to demonstrate that he could be NCAA Champ at the old 118lb weight class. At 125 he just doesn't have enough horsepower for the big studs.

Bucks have some good young talent in the room and some excellent recruits in the pipeline. The coaching staff has fixed a lot of issues after a horrid looking start to the season. Challenges always remain but this is a fun time to be a fan. Let's hope the team is healthy for BT's.

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on February 11, 2023

I thought bucks wrestled well. I think these close losses will give our guys confidence that they are right there with top 10 ranked guys.

The improvement off bottom is noticeable.

Mendez is fun to watch. He seems to have a couple set ups and finishes that he can go to.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on February 11, 2023

I wonder if Jesse Mendez will get to wrestle Vito Arujau next week. That would be another good test.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 11, 2023

Bucks have competed really hard their last several outings and are getting improved performance at several weights. The only thing missing now is the big upsets. Those will come.

Imagine being a highly seeded wrestler at nationals and drawing an early round matchup against Dylan D’Emilio or Paddy Gallagher. No thanks.

Mendez is an assassin. Find it interesting that last year as a senior he took a couple losses to the excellent Swiderski. Where Mendez quickly transitioned to college wrestling, Swiderski did not. He’s unranked for Iowa State.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 11, 2023

Drew: Good point about Swiderski. Sometimes it's simply a style thing.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 12, 2023

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Drew: Good point about Swiderski. Sometimes it's simply a style thing."

...and size.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 12, 2023

"Heinselman continues to demonstrate that he could be NCAA Champ at the old 118lb weight class. At 125 he just doesn't have enough horsepower for the big studs. "

Sorry, but I'm going to continue to beat this drum. The old 118 lb weight class had different weigh-in rules (I know you know this, so this is not attacking you personally, but it just seems like so many people try to say similar things) so he'd be facing basically the same guys that he is now.

Now if there was a 118 lb weight class under the current weigh-in rules then he'd have an advantage but it's been multiple decades since there have been enough guys that could make that weight on a one or two hour weigh-in.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 13, 2023

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

"Heinselman continues to demonstrate that he could be NCAA Champ at the old 118lb weight class. At 125 he just doesn't have enough horsepower for the big studs. "

Sorry, but I'm going to continue to beat this drum. The old 118 lb weight class had different weigh-in rules (I know you know this, so this is not attacking you personally, but it just seems like so many people try to say similar things) so he'd be facing basically the same guys that he is now.

Now if there was a 118 lb weight class under the current weigh-in rules then he'd have an advantage but it's been multiple decades since there have been enough guys that could make that weight on a one or two hour weigh-in."

Strong.

Not to slight anyone or Malik for that matter.

Malik is a technician. He has'nt wrestled like a guy that wants to pummel someone; like Jesse Mendez.

In looking back at 118 Champions, all of them were technicians but every one of them had a certain rigor to their wrestling.

Plus, what Jeff said.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 13, 2023

I get Jeff's point. I just try to remind folks that Heinselman is a fine wrestler.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next