Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Redshirt everyone?
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Michael,
It’s not that easy to find multi millionaires or billionaires in Oklahoma states case that support wrestling. Here is what I copied from another site involving okie state.

How reliable are the reports that Paycom President and CEO Chad Richison is involved? My sources tell me 100 percent and as a result, Oklahoma State wrestling will be well on it’s way to a new facility for headquartering, a plump NIL budget, and Taylor will have a $1 million salary.

One guy alone can now make a program relevant. Chad richislm is worth 1.4 billion dollars and is pumping an enormous amount of money into the program. They already secure Hamiti and Hendrickson and amine year one. They offered Allirez 500k also and nearly landed him.

Iowa and Penn state have way way bigger fanbases so in general will just get funded better. They draw three times the attendance.

If someone could raise the money these programs do they deserve a big salary. Ohio state has done well with what we have so far.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on June 3, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

I get that it’s not easy, but neither is winning National Championships. Given the landscape of college sports, it just seems odd to me that tOSU and their fans would just concede that, even with all out the resources at their disposal, they are unable to compete with the likes of Penn State, Iowa, Oklahoma State and particularly Michigan.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Ohio State is recruiting as well as anyone but Penn State. Mendez, Davino, Feldman and Bouzakis are absolutely being compensated through NIL.

The problem is the going rate for a big portal transfer is higher than the going rate for a HS star. The Bucks aren’t positioned to win high priced portal battles.

The importance of hitting on HS recruits is huge. Very little margin for error.

The transfer portal guys get paid more because they have already proven themselves at the college level and you know what you are getting. However this will not be the case for studs like Bassett and Blaze. They have already beaten senior level and top college guys. Blaze just beat Bailey who will be a title contender this year as a junior in high school. They will both me millionaires by the time their college careers are done. Both immediate title contenders.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

And here’s where NIL, in our capitalist system, doesn't make any sense. Will Carter Starocci make $400k for Penn State next year? Is that money well spent for a program that’s gonna win the NCAA title whether he’s there or not? How does a program even gauge an athlete’s “worth”?

When NIL was first brought up, it (at least to me) was about jersey sales, video games using them, maybe a little bit of television revenue. These things are measurable. Once the doners do their thing in the name of winning, then “the market” takes over and the going rate is set by how much some rich guys like winning.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

Tom Ryan can sell snow to Eskimos. I have no doubt he's fund raised successfully in the past. Now he needs to become Rob Koll and work at it full time. Especially with his injuries. Koll raised a lot of money at Cornell and Stanford during his short stint there. Now he's doing it for UNC and I expect them to emerge soon as a result.

Incidentally, there are some Ivy league schools with the potential to make major moves due to NIL.

Easier said than done. But that's the game today. We will see what happens.

Carter Starrocci is absolutely not worth paying 400k to bring back for another year. He does not bring in anywhere near 400k in money. I don’t even know why anyone would feel the need to pay him that amount of money. Penn state wins by a mile either way next season. Save that money for a top recruit. Someone with a lot of money just wants him back to win five I guess.

Wrestling at Ohio state brought in 1.5 million dollars in revenue last year and paid 2.8 million in expenses. So a total loss of 1.3 million for the team. That is actually good compared to almost all sports at Ohio state however. The wrestling team brought in the third most revenue behind basketball and football the only two Ohio state sports that turn a profit.

It is up to the donors now to build championship teams. Penn state and Iowa are probably the only two universities that actually come close to the break even mark when it comes to revenue and expenses.

Tom Ryan just needs to befriend Ratmir Timashev a Russian billionaire who gave 110 million dollars to the university for academics last year lol. Wrestling is big in Russia right?

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on June 3, 2024; edited 1 time in total

https://news.osu.edu/download/d3729c7e-a2c4-4870-9901-bcf0c475c5ef/fy23ncaamembershipreportfinal.pdf

Here are all the numbers for all the sports at Ohio state if anyone cares to see

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on June 3, 2024

#PizzaHut2025

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 4, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Ok, I understand that the programs mentioned are better funded, from an NIL perspective, than tOSU. My question is why? If you need doners to get out their checkbooks, why would Ohio State have significantly less than the schools mentioned? And if they don’t, isn’t that someone’s fault?"

The solution is simple. One of us needs to become a billionaire.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 4, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Ok, I understand that the programs mentioned are better funded, from an NIL perspective, than tOSU. My question is why? If you need doners to get out their checkbooks, why would Ohio State have significantly less than the schools mentioned? And if they don’t, isn’t that someone’s fault?"

The solution is simple. One of us needs to become a billionaire."

If everyone in Ohio would just buy one brisket....

https://www.misterbrisket.com/product/whole-beef-brisket-imperial-wagyu-signature-level/

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2