Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Marcus Blaze
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 29, 2024

"His last name is Rowlands. I have a feeling he may be a buckeye….."

In the NIL age, don't be so sure. If Iowa wants him and offers 500k, what would he likely do?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on June 30, 2024

I'm not sure what Senior year goals a talent like Blaze could shoot for...

I don't think anyone has ever pinned their way through both the Ohio high school regular and tournament have they?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on June 30, 2024

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I'm not sure what Senior year goals a talent like Blaze could shoot for...

I don't think anyone has ever pinned their way through both the Ohio high school regular and tournament seasons have they?"

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 30, 2024

Hank….. zero percent chance Rowlands is not a buckeye If he ends up being as good or close to his dad. Zero!! If he needs money Ohio state will come up with it. His dad does co own Rudis so money shouldn’t be a factor.

Justin… pinning everyone is nearly unrealistic if any kid goes to Ironman. Blaze had almost all his matches last season at Ironman decided by points. Realistic expectation is to win some college opens.

Also I failed to mention another kid who is the next must get. This freshman class coming in is pretty loaded. Loc Webber that will be going to Dublin Coffman. He probably is the best of the bunch. National champion and beat Bassetts brother Keegan. He just teched a kid who finished third at high school state last month in Ohio. If he fills out to a full size 106 he will be a serious threat to win Ironman.

Another big prospect is Weston Borgers another Dublin product. He will be wrestling at Blair academy however. It’s good the three highest prospects are all Columbus kids. They will all be big time prospects imo.

Coffman will have another big time prospect in Wurster. The problem for him is he has to wrestle off Webber. Coffman has the three best prospects in the state along with Rowlands. If Borgers actually stayed around they may have been competing with Ed’s in a few years. These guys are all ranked very high nationally. This may be one of best Recruiting classes in the state in a while and the best ones are all Columbus. Three of them being Coffman kids where they have a buckeye pipeline with Shumate and Birden. Coffman is also bringing in the junior high heavyweight state champ. Watch out for Coffman in the future ecspecially if Borgers ever comes back. I live in Dublin so it will be exciting to watch these kids grow.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 30, 2024

Nick: I was just making a point. I don't think anything should be assumed today. If a kid is good enough, someone can blow him/her away with an NIL offer.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 30, 2024

Hank I’m just saying Tommy can’t be sold out I don’t think. Rudis and Ohio state are pretty close and Tommy is an alum. Tommy has lived in Columbus his entire childhood, college, and since then. I don’t think in any world he would sell out. Maybe I’m wrong but I would give Ohio state 99.9 percent chance if he ends up continuing the career path I think he will be.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 1, 2024

Selling out is a fascinating term to use in this discussion. I didn’t go to my father’s college for my reasons. I doubt my 14 year old goes to mine.

If she gets a full ride to Princeton, good for her.

Tommy is one of those few “Mr. Buckeyes,” but so was Fick.

But yes, there are expectations.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 1, 2024

Selling out is a fascinating term to use in this discussion. I didn’t go to my father’s college for my reasons. I doubt my 14 year old goes to mine.

If she gets a full ride to Princeton, good for her.

Tommy is one of those few “Mr. Buckeyes,” but so was Fick.

But yes, there are expectations.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 1, 2024

“Selling out” and “money grab” are always used when someone doesn’t agree with the decision that brought the money your way. When they do agree, they call it capitalism or free market or just a good choice.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 1, 2024

I think it is possible that people, especially those in question, do not end up at OHST. And in my mind it does not have to do with "selling out", NIL, or anything else associated to money. It could be due to a major or even a particular coach, and sometimes that isn't even the head coach.

There are many great universities in this nation, some have great wrestling that go along with it, and some have coaches that are excellent mentors for an up-and-coming kid. Coaches should selling their university, communicate the culture of the team, and then move forward.

"Fans" should enjoy the ride.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 1, 2024

He has the right to go to any college that he wants to go to. However anyone is crazy to think he wouldn’t end up a buckeye if given the chance. What I mean by selling out is he chooses a school for Nil purposes like Hank mentioned. I just don’t see the Rowlands as the kind of kid and family that is looking for a payday as a priority.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 1, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"He has the right to go to any college that he wants to go to. However anyone is crazy to think he wouldn’t end up a buckeye if given the chance. What I mean by selling out is he chooses a school for Nil purposes like Hank mentioned. I just don’t see the Rowlands as the kind of kid and family that is looking for a payday as a priority."

Agreed.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 1, 2024

Nick - it's clear you know more about the HS landscape than I do. Curious what Burnett is missing for you?

Trying to think of his credentials through his FR season:

1. D1 State Champ at 113
2. Fargo National Champ
3. Defeated both D2 and D3 State Champs
4. Defeated IL Big School 113 State Champ (Garcia, who beat Maunretto in the finals)
5. 4th at Ironman

Is it something in the style you don't see that translates to high success at the next level? Not sure what else there is to accomplish as a FR.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 2, 2024

Ethan my definition of a can’t miss prospect is a kid who is competing for national championships and a four time all American type of talent. I don’t see that in Grey Burnett. He will be good at the next level but he I think has a similar career path to a Dylan Demilio type. Dylan was a Tulsa champ, four time champ etc with all the accolades. If we missed on Burnett we could land a lot of prospects at his level or better. Just like if we missed on demilio we had Decatur and Echemendia.

A can’t miss is a kid clearly above his peers. Bassett, Forrest, Blaze, Ferrari (wrestling can’t miss, culture wise can miss)

Burnett lost a district title to Timar from Ed’s. Last month he lost to Curry from Watterson 8-1. There are options as good currently in state even. While Burnett is still young and has tons of time to get better I just don’t think he is a 5 star prospect. More like a 4 star prospect. Ohio state will probably offer him and he may be a buckeye but the word can’t miss i just wouldn’t use on him.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on July 2, 2024

Id say Burnett will be a top 20 recruit once he reaches his senior season.

He and Fesiter will be can't miss prospects the Bucks need to swoop for c/o 2027.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next