Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Olympic Predictions for the USA
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 9, 2024

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"Brooks really shouldn't had taken that shot in the last 10 seconds it lead to the turn. Also I think he probably injured his knee with major torque the Bulgarian put on him prior. Just the inexperience cost Brooks chance at the gold imo."

No country on Earth except the USA would have sent Brooks over Taylor for the very reason we saw on display. Brooks knew how to beat Taylor but lacked the experience to win the Olympics. That's a major flaw in our system.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on August 9, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"Brooks really shouldn't had taken that shot in the last 10 seconds it lead to the turn. Also I think he probably injured his knee with major torque the Bulgarian put on him prior. Just the inexperience cost Brooks chance at the gold imo."

No country on Earth except the USA would have sent Brooks over Taylor for the very reason we saw on display. Brooks knew how to beat Taylor but lacked the experience to win the Olympics. That's a major flaw in our system."

???? I ???? agree!

"

No country on Earth except the USA would have sent Brooks over Taylor for the very reason we saw on display. Brooks knew how to beat Taylor but lacked the experience to win the Olympics. That's a major flaw in our system."

???? I 100% agree!

"

I 100% agree!

Dake gets upset in the semi against someone he had beaten before. Don't know how much longer Dake has left but he had a great career.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 9, 2024

"Dake gets upset in the semi against someone he had beaten before. Don't know how much longer Dake has left but he had a great career."

So much for the NLWC making everyone better.

I'm only kidding.

Japan has been impressive. They now won a gold medal in every style after Rei knocked off Lee.

Brooks takes home the bronze!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 9, 2024

Mason Parris out.

I get the argument for sending D.T. rather than Brooks but to me it is always hard to send the loser of a wrestle off over who beat him/her.

Others have also pointed out D.T. didn’t look quite as fit as usual.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 9, 2024

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Mason Parris out.

I get the argument for sending D.T. rather than Brooks but to me it is always hard to send the loser of a wrestle off over who beat him/her.

Others have also pointed out D.T. didn’t look quite as fit as usual."

They train at the same club. Brooks beat D.T. more easily than Zahid Valencia.

In fairness to Brooks, the wrestler who defeated him took out Radzani 7-1.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on August 9, 2024

I just watched Brooks' semi loss. He was countered on both of the opponents scores. If anything it was poor match management. He gets cranked to a back exposure with 3 seconds left in the match. If only he had waited a few more seconds to shoot that single he probably wins that match. If he continues to wrestle 4 more years, he will win gold IMO. A lot of these European wrestlers are all counter wrestlers, that seems to be the only way they know how to score.

Last edited by Jack Muni on August 9, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on August 9, 2024

International experience is nice to have but not crucial. Gable Steveson, Kyle Snyder and Jordan Burroughs won Olympic gold as relative newcomers.

Aaron Brooks had an excellent tournament. I’m not convinced David Taylor would have done better.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 9, 2024

I wholeheartedly disagree that Taylor should've been sent over Brooks. Brooks wrestled great for all but twenty seconds and was seconds away from the Gold medal match. The Bulgarian was well prepared to win too.

Guys fresh on the scene win. i.e Kyle Snyder, Gable Steveson. I thought it would be Brooks this year, but he came up a little short.

Kudos to Spencer Lee; that was a hard fought match and Higuchi is a beast as well. That he did it on knees that were well past their due date means that he had to alter his wrestling to accommodate and not reinjure his knees. I believe that is why you saw him wrestle with mostly heavy hands and few shots.

David Taylor was about 70-1 over the last several years overall both domestically and internationally prior to the trials. He was the closest thing to a gold medal we had. Brooks is great I just feel Taylor was better at this point. I think that anyone can have a bad match or two for a multitude of reasons. That being said the trials should not be the only criteria for making the Olympic Team in wrestling specifically. Most other Olympic sports can have more than one representative. That being said you should have a better system in place to make sure you send your best IMO.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 10, 2024

I love folkstyle wrestling but spending 10 years on a style of wrestling that doesn't translate to international rules and style puts a lot of wrestlers on a developmental tangent not conducive to mistake free international wrestling. They have to correct or recondition things that are hardwired. When competing, most guys default to what they always have done. Within that framework, even small details done wrong manifest as points scored against. These are guys that would win Gold medals on a purely Freestyle tangent. Winning matches is about problem solving. Guys are still problematic in the way they approach freestyle post collegiate wrestling.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next