Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Reclassing for Wrestling
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 11, 2024

Quote from Shawn Andrews's post:

"In the end there are certainly some individuals who have had success at the High School/College level who benefited from a year of growth and physical maturity, but is that due to correlation or causation? I might question how did they success parley into future opportunities? In the long term view of their life what did they gain? Did they get opportunity at a university that wouldn't have had otherwise? Did they garner some sort of additional financial opportunity as a result of their extra year in school?"

All pretty impossible questions to give a definite answer because we don't know how the alternate path would have turned out. So like the question "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop", the world will never know.

Why I let the parents decide and I live my life -- because I know that I disagree with some decision other parents make and I'm sure they'd disagree with decision I make.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Luke Moore added to this discussion on September 11, 2024

The issue with this topic is how it came about. Coaches should not be making blanket statements to kids about the decision. If a parent approaches, then they are more than welcome to give their opinions, but to say it to a group of young wrestlers is not right.

Additionally, when coming from a coach, it is clear that is comes solely from an athletic standpoint. Educational, social, and emotional development are paramount to the athletic component, and the research says that is can be harmful to keep a kid back and repeat a grade.

If we have this attitude of holding kids back for that "extra year of development" we are essentially spitting in the face of the educational system that has been in place for kids and their own personally development from youth, to adolescence to adulthood.

And, this is not comparable to a redshirt in college. The college redshirt, although not for everyone, is a year to make a huge jump in strength and technique against grown men, while also adjusting to life on your own without the comforts of home. It is the first experience of being an adult.

If a parent and kid want to do, I will never say an ill word about it, however, I would question whether it is what is best for the development of the athlete, and individual, as a whole.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on September 12, 2024

I agree the club coaches should not be telling all of their kids they should all reclassify. They are going to benefit monetarily from it by having kids another year and also trying to make the kids look better to give the club a better image. I am not opposed to kids reclassifying if that is in the best interest of the kids however.

I have a friend who is a coach at Medina Buckeye over the past four seasons and he got me back into high school wrestling again.(for a while only really only into the college scene) so I became friends with a lot of the kids and families of that community. I can tell you just from the wrestlers from this team reclassification could have been a major impact in their lives if they would have chose to do so.

The first wrestler was Colyn Limbert. Colyn came into high school as a 90 pound freshman soaking wet. He was forced to go against some kids his freshman year that weighed 120 pounds after weigh allowances and rehydrating. He was at a huge disadvantage that year. He went on to win some matches at districts but ultimately didn’t make the state tournament. By his junior and senior year he was a state champion both seasons. So basically he could have traded that freshman year where he was undersized for this year where he would be going for his third state title.

A different situation for a wrestler for Buckeye was Eddie Neitenbach if he reclassified. Eddie was sort of a late boomer on the national scene. His sophomore year he was the clear favorite to win state and failed skim check and was disqualified. His junior year he didn’t preform well at Ironman and got beat pretty handily twice and didn’t place. Then at state he finished with a third place finish. So coming into his senior year he knew he wanted to wrestle in college and committed to Wyoming as most kids are committed before the season. Well then it came to the Ironman tournament where he beat 6 straight nationally ranked opponents and ended up finishing 3rd. (Lost his only match of the year there by one point). He went on to beat the d1 champ Kowalski 17-6 that year and Cason Thomas by tf. He absolutely dominated the rest of the season. If he would have reclassified he would not be wrestling at Wyoming I can assure you. He would have got blown up by many of the major and top programs in the country( nothing wrong with Wyoming but just saying). Going into this season Kowlaski is ranked 4 and Thomas is ranked 3 at 190 and he was a lot better. He could have possibly been from not ranked one year ago to the top 190 in the country this year if he had one more year. That impacts the kids life in a lot of ways. Scholarship money, where he is wrestling, and possible nil deals. So where it may not benefit in any significant way a Bo Bassett who didn’t need to reclassify, Eddie Neitenbach who was barely looked at before his senior year could have been the top 190 prospect jn the nation if he went that route. That could be life changing.

Also if they both reclassify they are the first team in 25 years to win a d2 title other than Graham. (They lost by about 10 to them last year but Graham moved to d3 for the first team this season)

So if everyone has the same rules to play by as long as you are in the rules I think it’s fine. That one year can help you get an education you normally couldn’t get in some instances.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2