Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Some Ironman Questions/Random Thoughts
Scott Shaw added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

One way to avoid said confusion about the public/parochial status of Graham would be to list them as Graham, not St. Paris Graham.

I understand that St. Paris Graham is how most people know them, however, Blair Academy is not listed as Blairstown Blair Academy. St. Edward is not listed as Lakewood St. Edward. Listing these schools as Graham - St. Paris, OH and Blair Academy - Blairstown, NJ and so on would help clear up confusion for people outside of the Great Lakes region that may be thinking the St. Paris Graham is just another Private School powerhouse and not a local school district located in St. Paris, OH.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

good point coach Shaw, personally i might try to go with Graham (St Paris) Ohio -- but Am Wr News publisher makes us use the so called "AP style", sometimes he doesnt like my hyphons & parentheses, etc. We will see. ---- I do menton it every year in my preview and year in review article, but it seems not many pay attention because i am always correcting someone on it.

if in the very BEGINNING someone had said call us Graham then that would have prevented much of the problem, but it went on for years known as st Paris Graham, it is hard to re-educate.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

The "City-School" format has been around a long time and isn't going to change. There would be confusion on some schools if they didn't do that. For example the many Jeffersons - (Delphos) Jefferson, (Dayton) Jefferson (Township), Jefferson (Area), etc. are all called "Jefferson" which can definitely be confusing.

On a different note, I think the reason why St. Paris Graham is now called "Graham" at the state tournament is to make people realize that they are not a private school.

Tony Rotundo added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"
Burns, the 145 champ, is a freak of an athlete. In his match with Mason, Mason had Burns' leg all the way up in the air, at a 45 degree angle pointing toward the ceiling, and Burns worked out of it. As Dan said, shades of Darrion Caldwell. The kid attacked constantly, and never seemed to get tired, not the least bit."

Pat: I think you may be thinking of Louis Johnston from Great Bridge, not Burns. Johnston fought off two super high singles. (see a third of the way down this page for photos:
http://tech-fall.com/2008HS/07Ironman6.html)

All: I don't want to take anything away from Burns, the kids is physical and deserves the gold. That said, Mason was hurt and it shows (I think) during the whole competition. The last pancake Burns hit on Mason in the semis (watch the video) was more Mason crumbling having shot (why!?) to his left and his left leg just giving out. To this point, one reason Burns didn't get MOW is because mason was off his game. That and...

On Phillips: I think it's great that this kid won, what a wake-up call to all the 71lbers. However, I think it's a little premature to give the kid four state championships and an undefeated high school season. Could it happen, sure, will it happen, probably not, for the very reasons as above (Mason), this is a grueling sport and it's so easy to get hurt, or have a bad match, heck at the Ohio state level all you need is to have a bad move and you could be done (with an undefeated anything).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

Tony:
I agree that we shouldn't be premature with Chris Phillips. I'm not yet convinced he'll win olympic gold. As to being a 4x champ, I assume this is a reference to college. Barring injury (which you mentioned as a legit reason why someone will beat him at some point) or illness, he'll never lose in high school. I think this kid is a once in a generation type of competitor and honestly believe he can be as good as Cael Sanderson. Certainly, I've never seen a young talent with his ability.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

Since these forums deal with conjecture and educated guesses it doesn't seem unreasonable to predict four state titles in DIII given that he just beat a senior returning DI champ (barring injury). Anything more than that, like never losing a single match in high school, may be a stretch if he keeps competing in the big tournaments like Ironman.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

Roe--In addition to all my hyperbole, I'd vote for him for president. <smile>

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 19, 2007

i spotted a nice referal posted on the California Wrestling Forum under the topic "Ironman worth it":

"I can't begin to explain the benefits and wonder of this tournament.It is hard to describe-but I can say this, once you go you never have to explain to your kids what "The next level"means-they get it right away.

We have gone the last 2 years and it has changed our program and our view of the world of wrestling. It is so much fun to be where wrestling matters! It is truly king in Ohio.If you are thinking about going-stop dreaming and start planning for next year! "

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 19, 2007

It's nice to hear of the respect shown towards this tourney. What CA program was this coach from?

As to wrestling mattering in Ohio, I suppose it's all relative. I wish it mattered to more of us the way it does to fans in Iowa.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 19, 2007

"I wish it mattered to more of us the way it does to fans in Iowa."

Hank,
that will never happen, for one thing we have Pro sports--- Iowa doesnt have MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA sports to consume the sports pages of newspapers. In the areas around Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati there are alot of entertainment alternatives for people.

don't know which coach posted that---- but i can tell you at Ironman on Friday there were jam packed crowds from one o'clock to 10 o'clock at night in BOTH gyms. And that was just for the rattails, and rounds 1 & 2. Build it and they will come.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 20, 2007

Bob--Your comments make sense---to a degree. But there have been some big wrestling events in Cleveland that have gone relatively unattended because of the parochial attitude among fans in this city. Too many wrestling fans in NE Ohio only attend events in which they have a rooting interest rather than simply attending for the chance to watch great competitors in action. I can't blame this on pro sports.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 20, 2007

Hank,
i agree, the NWCA college duals for one thing--- 2 years in a row at Cleveland St U were not well supported---- but the previous 2 years not real well supported at Ohio st U either, and Ohio st was one of the teams entered, even reaching the finals one year.

but Pro sports does effect it, i cant quantify how much but it does---- so much energy and newspaper space and media time is spent on pro sports in Ohio, it leaves fans complacent unless its their own high school involved then they are excited.

not only that but look what tradition both Iowa St and U of Iowa built in wrestling (and even N Iowa too) --- it wouldnt be hard to support that would it ??!!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 3, 2008

just got latest issue of WIN magazine, January 2--- Chris Phillips made the cover, a photo of his finals match. WIN labeled Phillips "IRONMAN-CHILD", said "Puts Monroville Ohio on the wrestling map".

Inside a nice article on Monroville kids, and one on st Paris becoming the the first public school to win the Ironman.

Tony Rotundo added to this discussion on January 4, 2008

Bob,

It's nice to see they took another shot from The Ironman, it's not the shot I would have chosen of Phillips, but it's nice to get the tournament exposure.

I'd like to thank my host Brendan Moody for putting me up in his apartment so close to the gym (thanks, man, let's talk about getting you a print).

Cheers,

Tony Rotundo
tech-fall.com

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 4, 2008

Tony Rotundo from California-based tech-fall.com ,

thanks so much again, 2nd year in a row you took an IRONMAN photo that got on the cover of WIN magazine's January issue. Last year it was the "St Eds beats Blair, a new # 1 is crowned", featuring the Shawn Harris 7th period, OT last second semis pin over Kemmerer. ---- could have used almost the same theme this year, a new # 1 was crowned.

like has been said before, Team Blair gets no real comp anymore until they cross the Ohio line.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next