Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Some Buckeye Comments
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 25, 2007

You guys baffle me.

We all acknowledge the difficulties in the road to AA status, yet when we express those difficulties/roadblocks on a public forum, let alone for a freshmen, we get lumped in with the 'haters' and 'nay-sayers'!

That makes absolutely NO SENSE!

How about we be honest as fans AND wrestling supporters - in order for Colt Sponseller to become an All-American he will have to do some amazing things at the Big Ten's and win some very tough matches at the National Tournament.

I do not think expressing the point that it will be very difficult is being negative. Equally, however, I DO think that saying " 'because it's a Buckeye' or 'because it's Colt' he will" IS naive!

Good luck to the all those on the team I follow. I hope ALL of them qualify for St. Louis, ALL of them earn AA status...

...but the likelihood of that happening??? Let's be honest.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on December 25, 2007

Vince:

Great to hear from you at Christmas. I hope everyone in your family is having a great Christmas, although I know it must be tough being the first Christmas without your parents. Our family will always have fond memories of your parents and the excellent job they did in raising you kids. Give our best wishes to all your brothers and sisters and their families.

The Ramseys

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on December 25, 2007

Michael Rodriguez = Bitterrunner-up = Quality Coach

It is interesting that I have to get on the internet on Christmas day to defend one of my VOLUNTEER assistant coaches. A guy who, despite his gruff exterior, has dedicated hours upon hours upon hours of his time to improve kids in the room. A guy who will meet kids to lift. A guy who will meet kids to drill. A guy who cut 50 pounds with last year's 215 just to help the guy get to 171 this season.

Has he altered his wrestling style? Why should he? It works. But just to make a point, Mike actually has. I know this because I am in the room every day. He makes a point to learn and introduce new drills. He tweaks and adds to wrestler's technique. By far the most technical guy in the room. He is a good coach.

So, now, 1 hour after attending church, I am feeling downright POed. I'm irritated because Vince is using his personal beef with a guy to smack down his coaching style. And that is complete bunk.

Merry Freaking Christmas.

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on December 25, 2007

Brian:

I know nothing of a personal beef Vince has with Michael, but I do know from personal experience that Michael has not had a problem with berating others, so if he can dish it out he should be able to take it back.
It must apply both ways.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 25, 2007

Post #213 (12/17/07 - 7:27 pm) from Mr. Cosimi and post #21 (12/17/07 - 11:00 pm) from Michael Rodriguez say the EXACT SAME THING!!! (Be sure to note the time and date of the posts!!!)

Tell me the difference!

Michael - Your quote concerning Tannenbaum beating Sponseller...are you just as sure about this as you were about Palmer placing 4th!!! Boy do I hope so!!!!!!!!! <thumbsup>

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 25, 2007

For those of you who don't know, Vince and I have battled on these forums for a few years now. For whatever reason we just seem to come down of opposite sides of every issue involved with wrestling (and most other things, I suspect). However the conversation, while often heated, has never been rude or mean spirited.

Mr. Ramsey said, and I agree, that if I dish it out, I should be able to take it. Vince has his opinions and he's entitled to them, regardless of how wrong they may be. I guess I'm in good company, because he doesn't think much of many coaches that I think are very, very good. But I digress.

Coach Nicola...Thanks for the kind words. I serve at your pleasure, and it's for that reason that I won't continue this little skirmish on a public forum It doesn't help me, you or most importantly Bishop Ready wrestling for one of its assistants and one of its storied alumni to be airing their grievances with each other online.

Niemann...Point well taken. Nothing is impossible. And clearly I was dead wrong about Palmer last year. If you remember, I thought he should have red-shirted. Shows how much I know.

Finally, do you think that this discussion could move back to THE Ohio State University wrestling team. It was going well before it got side-tracked.

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on December 26, 2007

The Buckeye Wrestling (webcast) Show can be found on the Buckeye web site at the bottom of the page. Good 30 minute visit with the coach and guests. The last show had Colt as special guest.

Link to the Buckeye Wrestling webcasts

Show Schedule
Monday, December 10th - (Watch)
Monday, December 17th - (Watch)
Thursday, December 20th - (Watch)
Monday, January 7th
Thursday, January 17th
Thursday, January 24th
Thursday, January 31st
Thursday, February 7th
Wednesday, February 13th
Thursday, February 21st
Thursday, February 28th
Thursday, March 6th - Big Ten Preview show
Thursday, March 13th
Wednesday, March 19th - NCAA Preview Show
Thursday, March 27th

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on December 29, 2007

Mike:

My compliments for standing up like a gentleman. Happy Holidays.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3