Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Kent State - January 4 at 7:05 p.m.
Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 5, 2008

Hank: I was wrong. Colt is the real deal. I know Gross is just coming back but he is a 2 time MAC champ and Colt, essentially , is just coming back, too after his injury (just three or so matches).

Its one thing to be the guy that runs to the center of the mat after going out of bounds in the first period. He really does keep it up for three, just like high school. Plus he has the skills. That is lethal. Good defense also. It will be interesting to see how he rects when he has a Poeta or C.P. and gets taken down in the first ("if") and gets ridden a bit.

Someone posted after one of his earlier matches that he seemed to ramp up the intensity for the team after he wrestled. It seemed like it last night. I wondered whether OSUs layoff and KSUs recent tourney action helped KSU get off to a good start.

I know the talent level varied for Kent but Palmer, Puccilo and Bergman looked like returning AAs. Totally in charge. Even Jaggers, though the score was close, seemed in control.

Kent's team is tough. No quit and some great talent. I'm going to try to make the CSU match.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 5, 2008

It will now become interesting to see if Colt gets ranked in the Top 20 since this is his first win against a ranked guy. I'm sure he'll butt heads with more ranked guys at the National Duals next week also. I don't want to get too high on a freshman, but It's hard not to with Colt. Nikko Triggas and John Weakley are having what I consider a "typical" freshman season so far, some nice wins <thumbsup> and some not-so-nice losses <thumbsdown> , but Colt is doing better than "typical" so far. Next weekend should be a real good indicator of where he's at.

Erik Nell added to this discussion on January 5, 2008

Quote from Vince DiSabato's post:

"Congrats to the young Bucks. I personally am suprised that Reece lost his match. I am suprised that Pucillo didn't have a major. Not suprised by the rest or the fact that talent and coaching have prevailed.

But caution to the Bucks. This means nothing. As I stated last season, this is all practice for the second season. Dual wins look good on the record but do nothing for the second season... the big show...the NCAA's.

Good luck to Kent for the rest of the season and in the MAC.

The Bucks need and will improve from this stage. Look out for the Big Tens!

VinceD"

Vince I appreciate that you come by to this forum and share your opinions, I did not get the results until late today as I was in Muncie country coaching middle school guys at the Grandview middle school tournament. Reece surprised me for one as well, I’ve been to all of the home duals and have had the privilege to speak to his dad and he seems so focused.

No offense guys, but the build up for this match seemed a little like it was going to be closer than it was, and I really did not think it was going to be. I work and live five minutes from tOSU Campus. Kent State you have just seen Big Time College Wrestling!!! Ohio State Wrestling is at a whole different level than Kent State. Ohio State has All Americans every year and is going to the national duals. Kent State though I love they are a D1 school wrestling in Ohio does not have Tom Ryan or the resources.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 5, 2008

I noticed T.J. Enright was on the mat during introductions. I was wondering if he & Reece have wrestled off yet, or will it just be a coaches decision? If Tiggas had won the opening match, would Enright have wrestled? Maybe they will split the duty at 133 at National Duals. Let's be realistic, there are certain styles that would favor Enright over Humphrey. It will be interesting to see how Ryan handles this situation.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 6, 2008

I also noticed Enright--as well as Wes Bergman--in warm-ups. Hmm?

Vince: Pucillo wrestled a smart, solid match against a motivated, capable opponent. Chine had gotten destroyed last year against Pucillo and made adjustments to keep the same thing from happening. Give credit to Chine.

The first three bouts were odd ones for Ohio State. Triggas ran out of gas after a torrid start to his bout with Bedelyon. I don't think he's out-of-shape but perhaps he didn't warm-up properly? Either way, he got manhandled by the Kent stud frosh for about 5 of the 7 minutes. Quite honestly, I thought he was stuck late in the first when Bedelyon ran that beautiful half. I think that these two could develop into a nice rivalry as neither are particularly big.

Humphrey scored early on a nice double but then went into a shell. He allowed Mitcheff to press the attack and gave up the winning takedown rather easily. Plus, Mitcheff rode him without too much effort. Humphrey has three losses on the season and all have followed the same pattern: he gets an early lead then runs out of gas. Weight cutting blues? That's my guess.

Jaggers did exactly what he had to do to defeat a motivated, hard-charging Drew Lashaway. But his only takedown came off a counter to a shot as he was unable to generate any offense of his own. Nor did he ride. It could have been the contrast in styles. Jaggers is a piece of rope and Lashaway is a red-headed fire hydrant.

After the first three wt classes, Ohio State looked more energetic.

Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on January 6, 2008

does anyone have a final score?? I see plenty of comments, but only one score halfway through the dual!! aah!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 7, 2008

the final score was 27-6.

Kent State won at 125 and 133. Ohio State won the remaining 8 matches.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on January 8, 2008

I love that there was some build up to this match which also drew a great crowd, but your comment after the match "you've just seen the big ten" makes me ask one question. was OSU in the big ten the past two years as well as this year.

Yes over all the big ten is stronger in wrestling than the mac but it's not out of the question that a mac team would beat a big ten team.

It could have very simply turned into a close one if a pin was called at 125 and if kent could have squeeked out a win at 141 (close match 1 point dec) this would have been a 6 point swing and a closer match.

Currently the mac has a power house in Central MI. I think they can beat almost any team out there if things go their way.

All and all I think the match was great for local wrestling and the sport in genral it was good to see all the talent on display. I only wish the blind draw was at a higher weight so the light weights were not first. After those three matches were over there was not much drama.

Match/wrestler of the night ...Jaggers how did he not get taken down after 3 deep shots? Great hips. He looked awsome. I'm not a fan of his celebration after the win(simulating breaking the 2 by 4 over his knee) for a classy kid, that seemed out of place .

GO OHIO WRESTLING

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 8, 2008

Perhaps Reece won the wrestle-off in the room this week against Enright and they wanted him to start the dual against Mitcheff.

I wasn't there but the Jaggers thing seems like something just to get the team fired up especially after Ohio State lost to them the past 2 years.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 8, 2008

I think what Jaggers did after the match was prompted by the Lashaway interview on FlowWrestling where he said that he broke Jaggers in last years match.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 8, 2008

You have to love FloWrestling and the candid interviews they have. They are always honest and blunt. That could very well be it then, I think then it was appropriate and I always like a little bit of showmanship in wrestling like that.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on January 8, 2008

I'm not defending Lashaway's interview (I have not seen it). I just don't think there is any room for any of that junk in the sport. What happend to letting your wrestling do the talking. I think Tom Brady said it best, " It sounds so much better when someone else remarks on your accomplishments"

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 8, 2008

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"Perhaps Reece won the wrestle-off in the room this week against Enright and they wanted him to start the dual against Mitcheff."

They did not wrestle off. T.J. is still healing and is doubtful to return to 133 for the rest of the season.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3