Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Wrestle Offs: Date Announced
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on October 28, 2021

Perhaps Paddy and Romero are banged up at the moment?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 28, 2021

Gonzalez has potential. He looks like a 125 but his leg atttacks and pace plus solid technique are no joke.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 28, 2021

Kharchla is a monster and arguably be the best wrestler on the team along with Sasso. But that knee seemed to be bugging him during breaks in the action. Can he live with it? Can he go a full season? Or will the staff limit the number of comps to try and keep him healthy. Fingers crossed that he can stay on the mat because he's outstanding.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 28, 2021

Didn't watch, but the results are encouraging.

125 - I honestly think Malik can be the 2nd or 3rd best 125 in the conference this year. He improved last year and another year of adding muscle will only make him better.

133 - I really hope Gonzales doesn't have to go.   If it's close, wrestle Koontz and save the year. I don't want to see him struggle.

141 - Let's hope that this result gets through to Tom Ryan that cutting a lot of weight is not healthy and not the answer. Let kids eat!  Decatur, with energy, can be solid to surprising.

149 - Sammy Freakin' Sasso!

157 - So Hubbard is the starter if Paddy isn't ready to go. He was good at Notre Dame, but could he be better than Cleary.  Hopefully he's at least more exciting.

165 - Kharchla... That Boy Good!

174 - I like seeing Smith pile up the points on Fritz. Fritz won some DI matches last year, so a major is impressive.

184 - Again, I like seeing Rocky put up a bunch of points. Not just riding.

197 - Other than 141, maybe the result that is the most encouraging. Last year, Hoffman lost this match I believe, or maybe won 3-2.  19 points is a months total for him!

285 - Again, it looks like the Bucks practiced top work in the off-season, as 20-6 can't all be takedowns.  Orndorff could move up the podium if he adds any sort of top game.

Overall - I'm usually a little worried after wrestle-offs. This is the best I've felt in years. Can't wait for November 7th!  Go Bucks!

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 28, 2021

Jason: At 197, I believe you are mistaking Tyler Stein for Zach Steiner. Easy mistake to make. Steiner beat Hoffman in 2019. But your overall point holds: Gavin Hoffman scoring a ton of points is encouraging.

133 looks like a soft spot in the lineup, maybe the only soft spot. Landing Suriano would be huge.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 28, 2021

No mention of Betancourt for 133?? Nice to have Rocky at 184 if Romero can't go. I thought Orndorf pace was really amazing next to last years performances. Gary Traub showed what a good gas tank can do for you in those close heavyweight matches. BTW Sammy is a beast!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 29, 2021

133: with Nick Suriano in the building, one can dream. ;-)

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on October 29, 2021

Like seeing the big guns on Malik. Is he gonna be Spencer Freakin' Lee, probably not (ok, he's not, but I hate saying it). He is so talented and while the class is deep, he is part of that upper level of depth in the 3-8 podium spots. As a side note, I am looking forward to seeing Vito compete this year.

Right now, 133 doesn't feel like we have a guy to score points in March.

I don't know if Decatur is the going to be the guy at 141, but it was nice to see him with some actual energy in OT. That is an of itself is a victory for him. Didn't D'Emilio end up a round of 12 guy last year? I don't know what they are seeing in the room. Certainly Decatur never looked anything approaching a round of 12 guy at 133, but he just isn't a 133. He has to get that behind him. It will be fun watching these 2 compete in the open tournaments the next few weeks to get a feel for where things really stand. And who knows where this leaves Eschemendia? He's not a 133 either. Maybe he just needs to remain focused on his work with the RTC like our Greco Guys? I like Anthony, so that was difficult to say.

Sammy needs to keep his same hair style, but really work on development of the beard. He didn't win the title last year, but could have. Adjustments. He should be on top of the podium this year. We'll see....

Any word on Paddy?

I'm still mad at Marinelli for decomitting at Ohio State. I want Carson to grind him up and spit him out. Karchla is the guy that can stand in the face of Marinelli and not be intimidated. He is the guy that can assert his will over Marinelli. I hope he stays healthy and makes that happen.

I don't know if Ethan can beat Kemerer. But Ethan is as likely to be #2 on that podium as anyone else in the class.

I don't know what's going on with Kaleb. I haven't asked. Rocky can look bad at times and lull you to sleep, but he was still a round of 12 guy last year. I believe a healthy Kaleb Romero brings more to the scoring potential in March than Rocky, but that is my Mechanicsburg bias talking.

I want to know what is happening between Hoffman and Rocky in the room. I'd like to see Rocky competing at 197 in the open tournaments with Gavin and see how things shake out. I'm a bit pudgier than I would like to admit and I believe Gavin Hoffman's thighs may still be a bit girthier than me. I have no idea how Boykins is competing with these guys either and if he is a factor.

Tate will battle his way back to the podium. It's not always pretty, but he will be there in March when it counts.

This doesn't feel like a top 5 team to me. But I think they have the potential if they stay healthy, some round of 12 guys convert to AAs, and guys like Kaleb and Malik realize their potential this year. And 157 & 133?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 29, 2021

Quick thoughts based on wrestleoffs:

Sasso and Kharchla are title contenders although both have their hands full with high level comp. Kharchla has a big wrap on that knee. And he seemed to limp a bit during breaks in the action. I hope a plan is in place to reduce his wear and tear throughout the season. He can go with a Marinelli or a Griffith. Sasso v Yianni intrigues me. Two counter wrestling gurus.

Heinselman and Smith both look excellent as well. Heinselman performed at an AA level last season. His weight class gets deeper but since Spencer Lee may not last the season, it's going to be open. Smith broke through and looks to come back for more. He did a nice job handling a feisty Schierl.

Orndorff looks much more mobile and powerful which is good news. And I have faith in Romero as he performed at a mid AA level throughout last season when healthy. Even dinged up he probably AA's if Massa doesn't get upset early in the tourney and goof up the consis bracket.

The only obvious weak spot is 133. No one knows what's going on with Betancourt which means Koontz is the likely starter. He'll battle but he's primarily a defensive wrestler looking for big moves. Gonzalez shows promise but it would be fools gold to assume a wrestle off result against Koontz makes him a viable starter. He's too small at 133 although there's obvious talent.

At this point, I'm assuming we'll see Gallagher and Hoffman at 157 and 197. Hoffman looked to have better offense in his wrestle off but everytime he gets in on a head outside shot, he gets flattened out and has to battle for a stalemate. He's got to get better in that position or avoid it--one of the two. I have no idea what to expect from Gallagher other than he's hard nosed and Eds trained. Not sure how much to expect from him at this point.

From a historical perspective, this is a very good lineup.
Big Ten schedule is brutal but a healthy Bucks squad can challenge anyone outside of PSU and Iowa this season.

Forgot to comment on 141 lbs not that anyone needs to hear what I think. First, Decatur is obviously better when he's not shrinking himself week after week. However, I'm still bullish on D'Emilio. I think when it all shakes out, he'll emerge as the #1 guy.

Nice to see a post from Pat Campbell. More of that, please.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 29, 2021

I liked Gonzalez but his inability to finish some of his shots is so typical of a freshman going up against an experienced college guy. IMO he needs a RS year to get acclimated, but you can definitely see the potential. And like someone said, he probably will be the heir apparent at 125, not 133. Let's hope Malik & Ethan continue to improve and take the last step up into the top level of their weight classes. One thing about Malik that I really loved was no matter how much he was muscled and toss around early in his college career, he never, ever stopped trying, what a fighter.

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I liked Gonzalez but his inability to finish some of his shots is so typical of a freshman going up against an experienced college guy. IMO he needs a RS year to get acclimated, but you can definitely see the potential. And like someone said, he probably will be the heir apparent at 125, not 133. Let's hope Malik & Ethan continue to improve and take the last step up into the top level of their weight classes. One thing about Malik that I really loved was no matter how much he was muscled and toss around early in his college career, he never, ever stopped trying, what a fighter."

Agree but he did finish once and that proved to be the difference. Also, didn't you think Gonzalez looked a lot smaller than Koontz?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 29, 2021

I was looking at the glass half full, I thought Koontz looked bigger than in years past. I guess I still think of him as a 125 guy when he was tall & thin. But yes, Gonzalez definitely looked smaller. And the announcer said Malik is "still a junior", so will he stick around next year and take advantage of this Covid rule?

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on October 30, 2021

Just saw a guy (Phillip Michael?) on FB claiming that Suriano to tOSU is a done deal?

I dunno. I'll believe it if it's officially announced. It certainly moves them into the top 5 of the team race if it happens.

We'll see. FB is rarely a reliable news source...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 30, 2021

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"Just saw a guy (Phillip Michael?) on FB claiming that Suriano to tOSU is a done deal?

I dunno. I'll believe it if it's officially announced. It certainly moves them into the top 5 of the team race if it happens.

We'll see. FB is rarely a reliable news source..."

I'm pretty sure he's made dubious claims before although my memory isn't what it used to be. I'm still waiting for the Minny 157 who was a "done deal" to transfer.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next