Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Bucks #8 vs. Tar Heels #14
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Today’s match was like a Clint Eastwood movie, the good, the bad, and the ugly."

Didn’t get a chance to watch what was the bad and the ugly? Saw some highlights on Twitter so curious what was the bad and ugly

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Sean Koran added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

Sasso eeking out a W on riding time and Decatur losing while not registering an offensive point would be my thoughts on some ugly.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"Sasso eeking out a W on riding time and Decatur losing while not registering an offensive point would be my thoughts on some ugly."

If that’s it I don’t think it’s that bad. Decatur lost in OT to #14 kid is progress from what’ve seen out of him last year.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

To my eyes, Decatur looks like a COMPLETELY different wrestler at 141 as opposed to 133. And he looks like a better, more productive wrestler. I think as he adjusts to the 141 pounders, his game-plan will be tweaked, which - hopefully - will lead to wins in matches instead of losses like today.

I missed Kharchla, but was able to watch the last bit of Smith and then watched Rocky, Hoffman and Mr. Wonderful. During Malik’s match the Z monster got me and I awoke to see Decatur on the mat. Sasso gonna Sasso. He’s a dawg! And how about Hubbard landing a TD on AOC!?

Ultimately, I didn’t mind what I saw. I’m going to assume the coaches will address what needs fixed and they’ll keep plugging along.

See y’all on 11/19 in Blacksburg.

John Ice added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

See you Sunday in Tiffin!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

https://youtu.be/4spw4ygRm4c

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

UNC is a scrappy team. The Bucks took seven of ten, and probably could’ve won eight. I didn’t see anyone get ridden like a dog, which is good. 133 and 157, and potentially 141 look to be wrestler by committee. Paddy is a redshirt for now, until he’s not. Week one is what you would expect out of week 1. Lots of questions with more changes on the horizon.

Last edited by Mark Niemann on November 7, 2021; edited 1 time in total

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

Kharchla looked very good. That being said, I understand the concern for his long term knee health. His style of wrestling leaves that knee in a position in which it can be torqued upon. His leg attack leads to a head outside single to his opponent's right leg. Conventional defense is to go after his right leg. His leg ride on top includes using right leg as boot. Again, conventional defense is to attack the boot coming in by means of pressure on the joint. Lastly, underneath, wrestlers are going to stop his initial move off bottom with tight waist and picking ankle when they see that big brace. Just the way it is. That is a lot of exposure to torque.

Ethan Smith looks very good to me as his offense is strong. He is battle tested and he looks like an AA.

Rocky wrestles a slow pace. Not exciting, but solid. He beat a solid Lautt. He is starting where he left off last season which is better than he started the season last year.

I like Gavin Hoffman's chances to AA this year. He is strong as an ox, has a motor and offense. He needs to become more efficient at the things he does, but a nice start to the season.

Orndorff looks good. I'll be happy if he matches last year's accomplishment.

Heinselman wrestled a smart tactical match. Not much of an opine from me on this one. He was wrestling a true freshman.

Koontz was ok.

141 Decatur does not hand fight effectively. Everything is touch and go. It was a very interesting match as both guys had the same style. UNC was busy early and stalled later and vice versa. Bottom line, you don't win unless you generate scoring attacks. I feel for the Decatur as he totally had his confidence affected in his first couple of seasons. In doing so, he learned not to shoot because the penalty for doing so, is ending up on your knees. So, you become very reluctant to do so. Not the first guy in college wrestling that this pattern has manifested. My belief is that it is reversible with Cognitive behavioral therapy.

149 Sasso is a stud that can wrestle the gray areas as well as anyone. I don't think anyone can beat him in a straight up match. It has to be very tactical and specific in order to beat him. So, the positions of engagement have to very specific, kind of like what AOC did last year. That was just smart coaching and brilliant wrestling. The guy he wrestled today is his semifinal NCAA match. Sherman is very good, bordering on excellent. I watched his warm up. His movement and explosiveness is outstanding. He did a back flip and landed inn the same spot effortlessly. It was pretty awesome. Two of Sherman's points were technical violations. What concerns me a little bit is that he has video of Sasso and all his tendencies in the context of his wrestling, plus a coach that was in the corner of a guy that beat Sasso. Coleman Scott is the guy that lost, lost, lost and then won when it mattered at the International level. That pattern does'nt occur all that often and is very unique. That match was a battle but not the war and I guarantee that was the aim of the match. Feel Sasso out. Learn. Adapt.

AustinOC is a stud. Javon had a nice takedown and was wrestling a good pace but crumbled in one position.

After the meet was over, Sherman and AOC were drilling takedowns. It was cool to see and explain to my wife that is part of the conditioning process of elite wrestlers. Run sprints, airdyne, drill. All are efforts that can push the fatigue threshold higher after wrestling in competition.

#PhilosphicalHammer

Thanks for chiming in, Rex. Also a great read.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

and one more thing, Gavin Hoffman could be a dead ringer for Corey Olsen from Nebraska (NCAA Runner-up to Randleman) with the right haircut.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 7, 2021

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Today’s match was like a Clint Eastwood movie, the good, the bad, and the ugly."

Didn’t get a chance to watch what was the bad and the ugly? Saw some highlights on Twitter so curious what was the bad and ugly"

IMHO, the good was the improved bottom. That will get severely tested when they compete against guys that sit on the ankles and ride. The bad was a couple positions Bucks gave up points from. The ugly was the lack of offensive attacks at some weights. Very difficult to win with 1 or 2 attacks in a match.

Just my $0.02

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 8, 2021

UNC is a team on the rise. They looked well coached, fit and strong at most weights. They also had a couple easy duals under their belt as warm ups.

I thought Bucks looked fine. They were a bit conservative on their feet but generally stronger on top and bottom. Sasso's score was close against a tough opponent but he was in control. Malik continues his trend of slowing his offensive output while improving his defense. He seems to be emphasizing go-behinds as a means of scoring. I like the strategy. Go behinds wear down and opponent even when they don't work. As the initiator, your risk is nearly zero. It's a good idea especially if you have a knack for them--which he does.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3