Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: OSU dual Friday vs. The Grad School of Michigan, Penn State, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Princeton
Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 15, 2022

They had 2 extra matches last night. Can a RS participate in the extra matches without losing his RS?
BTW didn't Garcia have a bad injury that ended his college career?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: OSU dual Friday vs. The Grad School of Michigan, Penn State, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Princeton
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 15, 2022

yes on Garcia, see my post bottom previous page

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 16, 2022

I don’t think RS can compete in exhibitions. That was a Covid exception last year I wish they would’ve kept. I still like the idea that you can wrestle whenever, but you get five years to fit in four post seasons. Young guys get matches, injuries can heal up…win win. Tom is in his 50s. He’s gone longer than Gable and accomplished more than any OSU coach in history. He’s not running the practices, he’s not doing the bulk of the recruiting. He’s the CEO. In a sense, the hand off as far as development goes happened a while ago. He’s not even the primary guy coaching from the chair. I agree with Bob’s comments about these last couple of classes. One great post season performance changes the perspective of everything. Let’s see how it plays out

Mike Stann added to this discussion on January 16, 2022

Quote from Doug Gainous's post:

"I don't think Ryan needs fired. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just tired of the same old Buckeyes (Ryan era). If we have superior talent we have a shot but if not we can't seem to pull off the upset. The last dual upset I can think of is when Derek Garcia upset st John to beat Iowa....And that just brings up another big time recruit that didn't reach potential (Garcia)"

Doug, I don't think there are just that many upsets in duals, We had one of the great ones when we beat Iowa (during there TR era) at home., but besides that I can't remember many for anyone. Duals will be close if 1) all the starters are evenly matched or 2) the mismatches are split between the two teams. Quite frankly there was no way we would beat the Michigan team in a dual right now. Also duals are not the measure of success in college wrestling. The fact is imo we almost always do better in the Tournament than expected. And if you haven't been Penn St or Iowa the last 15 years you aren't in the hunt. During that time only Minnesota and OSU have won a championship, besides PSU and Iowa. And a Bob pointed out we could have two more with just a break or so going our way. So only JRob and TR have joined Brands and Cael. Not bad company. By the way I was there there the year Iowa pulled it out with the aid of MFs..It was crushing each time during consolations to see Iowa get major points by not wrestling. And one more thing, we seem to go through this every January.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on January 16, 2022

Did Ryan not recruit Lucas Byrd? What a miss. An AA from Ohio at a weight OSU has been absolutely struggling to fill.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 16, 2022

Quote from Freddy Carr's post:

"Did Ryan not recruit Lucas Byrd? What a miss. An AA from Ohio at a weight OSU has been absolutely struggling to fill."

Freddy, I'm watching Iowa/Illinois and thinking exactly the same thing, how did they miss this kid. He went to Md. and trans. to Illinois, so in a sense OSU missed twice on him. And what a great mat wrestler, rode that Iowa kid big time. I know it's not exactly the same situation, but I still look at David Carr going to Iowa State and being at 157, again a weight the Bucs need help at. I remember TR talking about putting a "fence around Ohio" with regards to recruiting.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 16, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I still look at David Carr going to Iowa State and being at 157, again a weight the Bucs need help at. I remember TR talking about putting a "fence around Ohio" with regards to recruiting."

Carr was always going to Iowa State.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 17, 2022

You have to look back at what was going on at the time. The Bucks had Jordan And Jacob Decatur signed. Jordan having been a world team member and nationally recognized name. Byrd was a late bloomer. Prior to his senior year he was still wrestling 106. He did sign with Maryland under McCoy. He then went on to win Iron man at 113 and then got caught up in the Covid post season. I can’t recall if he did anything at Fargo, but McCoy’s dismissal and Clemson’s hiring at Maryland gave Illinois the opening to swoop in and nab him. One of Lassalle’s finest.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 17, 2022

So my take on the UM dual -

I was more concerned with the match style than the outcome. Did it not seem that UM was always the aggressor, even in evenly-matched weights?

The Smith-Massa match the prime example. I am a huge Ethan Smith fan, partly because I think he was named after me and partly because I just like the way he battles. But Massa's work/attack rate was substantially higher. Massa was on the front foot for 7 minutes, and he's like 45 years old. Why? In a rivalry match in front of a big crowd at home.

Even at 65 where a back up 41/49 bumped up for UM, they were taking a lot of offensive attempts. Mattin another example; he's wrestling one of the best defensive wrestlers in the nation and was still firing off offensive attacks.

I don't have the energy to go back and track the shots, but I'd venture to say it was 5:1 in favor of UM for the night.

It's also critical to rack up SOME riding time in these close matches. Even if it's 20 seconds it helps a ton if late-match strategy. Many of OSU's best seem to want to wrestle like Ohio high school, where neutral is the only position.

Having said that, it's hard to attack when you're competitor is clearly better. Heinselman as an example - Suriano is just better. No shame in that. But in the face of extreme opposition I'd rather go down swinging.

OSU is still excellent and will have a good season, but this version of UM is considerably better and will challenge PSU this season.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2022

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"So my take on the UM dual -

I was more concerned with the match style than the outcome. Did it not seem that UM was always the aggressor, even in evenly-matched weights?

The Smith-Massa match the prime example. I am a huge Ethan Smith fan, partly because I think he was named after me and partly because I just like the way he battles. But Massa's work/attack rate was substantially higher. Massa was on the front foot for 7 minutes, and he's like 45 years old. Why? In a rivalry match in front of a big crowd at home.

Even at 65 where a back up 41/49 bumped up for UM, they were taking a lot of offensive attempts. Mattin another example; he's wrestling one of the best defensive wrestlers in the nation and was still firing off offensive attacks.

I don't have the energy to go back and track the shots, but I'd venture to say it was 5:1 in favor of UM for the night.

It's also critical to rack up SOME riding time in these close matches. Even if it's 20 seconds it helps a ton if late-match strategy. Many of OSU's best seem to want to wrestle like Ohio high school, where neutral is the only position.

Having said that, it's hard to attack when you're competitor is clearly better. Heinselman as an example - Suriano is just better. No shame in that. But in the face of extreme opposition I'd rather go down swinging.

OSU is still excellent and will have a good season, but this version of UM is considerably better and will challenge PSU this season."

Excellent synopsis. I do think Sasso wresled a solid match but what we noticed was the fearlessness of Mattin. He had a plan and executed. Those sits with a single are going to happen with a lot more frequency. Sammy needs to do more to stay offensive. And as much as I like his near cradle, isn't there a way he can vary his riding a bit? Everyone knows what's coming. Their must be more he can do in terms of a turn for back points. They've got a coach who might be helpful in that regard. His name is Steebler or something like that.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3